Water Diet

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by phillipelden, Sep 2, 2009.

1. phillipelden

phillipelden New Member

Hello my name is Phillip Elden and I'd like to know if their is a water diet, and how is it if it is.

Thank you in advance.

2. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

If you are trying to lose weight, a water diet will hinder your long term efforts. Just eat sensibly and eat according to your physical activity. And make sure you are active.

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Phillip,

I agree with Joan.

On the other hand, you can drink the recommended amount of water each day if you aren't already doing so.

That'll help with your hydration, energy, digestion, and should also help you to feel a bit more full.

Cut way back on sweets. Don't overdo it with the carbs. Get plenty of exercise and sleep.

It's all just common sense really.

Diets don't work but a level-headed change of lifestyle does work. Furthermore, that's the only thing that will last.

I'm not a medical doctor and I am not giving medical advice nor am I qualified to give medical advice.

~Newbie Shield~

4. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

Another thing I must say regarding intake of water - it is a known fact that drinking over the recommended amount can cause kidney damage.

5. David_Ogden

David_Ogden New Member

joanpeterson: Another thing I must say regarding intake of water - it is a known fact that drinking over the recommended amount can cause kidney damage.

I had not heard that overdrinking water will damage you kidneys, beer and spirits Yes but water will flush right through.

If you are wanting to lose weight use water to replace intake from fruit juices and soda's and it will help you on your way

6. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

Yes, drinking too much water can cause kidney damage.

An interesting study was done in Walkerton, ON where a number of people died when they drank contaminated water. As they studied the population, they began to discover that some people were showing early stage kidney disease and the only cause was due to them drinking too much water. For some, stopping the excess consumption of water allowed their kidney's to recover. For others, the damage was permanent.

7. AshleySullivan

AshleySullivan New Member

phillipelden: Hello my name is Phillip Elden and I'd like to know if their is a water diet, and how is it if it is.

Thank you in advance.
    This is not something you should be considering. Any results you experience will be very short term.

8. Margaretgc

Margaretgc Guest

You need water every day to keep up your hydration levels, but you also need balanced nutrition. I keep my proteins high and my carbs moderate every day and my weight stays pretty steady. Some exercise every day is important, too, for weight control. There's always someone promoting a fad diet, so you need to be careful and find a balance that will work for you. Good luck and the best of health!

9. revenue4u

revenue4u New Member

There is really no secret to losing weight. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. If you burn less than you take in, you will gain weight. Water has no calories.

10. residualcash

residualcash New Member

The amount of water one needs is relative to the amount of food they eat, notwithstanding extraneous activity that demands you intake some liquid, like exercise.

I heard of the water diet and drink a ton a day, and I've heard it works, but it's probably not a long term effective solution.

I do know that if one starts their day with a glass of water before anything else, such as coffee and food, you'll feel much healthier as you refresh your system with the pure liquid it needs. (This does not apply to tap water, that is a known killer)

11. AshleySullivan

revenue4u
    revenue4u: There is really no secret to losing weight. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. If you burn less than you take in, you will gain weight. Water has no calories.
    Unless you have a hormone problem...

12. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

You don't need a diet. You need a lifestyle. Even if you lose the pounds that you wanted to lose, you will still gain it back within 6-12 months.

Yes, lose the weight but you need a healthy lifestyle and eat healthy foods.

Tal

13. AshleySullivan

talfighel: Yes, lose the weight but you need a healthy lifestyle and eat healthy foods.
    Healthy doesn't equal fitness. There are a lot of chubby, healthy people out there. Losing weight has nothing to do with health, it has to do with caloric restriction.

14. TJamMoneyMan

TJamMoneyMan Well-Known Member

joanpeterson: Yes, drinking too much water can cause kidney damage.

An interesting study was done in Walkerton, ON where a number of people died when they drank contaminated water.
    Is this study based on drinking CONTAMINATED WATER?!?
    If not, eggzackly how much water were these people drinking?

David_Ogden: If you are wanting to lose weight use water to replace intake from fruit juices and soda's and it will help you on your way
    DEFINITELY!
    Water and fruit is what our bodies have evolved on for a source of quick energy.

I used to poison my body regularly with cakes, cookies, and the like.
    So much so I'd be sick with gripe the next day.

I learned to fast on WATER until the garbage I ate passed.
    Up to a gallon in the early part of the day, before continuing my day eating as healthfully as possible.

Then I found it easy to drop such junk from my diet permanently.
    But it took repeated fasting.

Water can be a real cure-all.
    Use your common sense, research and experiment.

I seriously doubt you will harm your kidneys drinking water!!

If so, you would obviously have to drink TONS of water - or have a pre-existing condition.

I have heard that you can hallucinate from drinking so much water that you thin your blood.
    That takes a LOT of water!!!

Look at it this way, you can hyperventilate and lose conscience by breathing too much air!
    This by breathing in and out rapidly and shallowly - but who does that in their right mind?

Is there anything, done to excess, that is NOT unhealthy?

AshleySullivan: There are a lot of chubby, healthy people out there.
    I am curious as to your definition of 'healthy'.

Not sure how you define 'chubby' either, but being overweight is unhealthy by for certain.
    Just because you have no acute illness manifest, does NOT mean you are 'healthy'.

15. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

Healthy means your organs are healthy, your blood cholesterol is within the healthy level, your heart rate is normal and your blood pressure is within a normal range. You have no family history of heart disease, obesity or addition. There are chubby people who are healthy, they are just not fit. Fitness does not mean healthy. Bodybuilders are extremely fit, but they are not always healthy.

16. AshleySullivan

17. Michael Merry

Michael Merry New Member

phillipelden: I'd like to know if their is a water diet, and how is it if it is.

A water diet makes as much sense as an air diet - it does not contain energy in the form of food calories. Your body needs food calories, lots of them, to sustain itself and to provide energy for a vast array of functions. We must use common sense and judgment, if we are to avoid falling victim to cheats and snake oil salesmen

18. ryanbiddulph

ryanbiddulph New Member

Hello Phillip,

Eat when you're hungry. Fast when you're not. Drink at least eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. Eat plenty of greens and beans.

Exercise 3 - 5 times a week. And this is my number one piece of advice. Don't read too many health studies. Take it from this guy:

"Be careful about reading health books; you may die of a misprint." ~ Mark Twain

Ryan

19. treevee

treevee Member

What are you thinking when you say a water diet? Only water all day for days or weeks? I've heard of water fasts. If this is what you mean, then yeah, there is such a thing.

One must ready themselves before beginning a water fast. If you are not in very good health, much caution should be taken. There can be many contra-indications for doing this fast such as if you take medications or have certain health conditions. It is a good idea to discuss it with a natural health practitioner and/or do some extensive reading on the matter.

For instance, these considerations (and more) should go into the preparation for a water fast:

~ If you are a non-vegan, you'll want to take a week or 2 and eat mainly raw fruits and veggies. Or you might want to start on a raw food detox diet first. 2-3 days before you begin, only fruit or fruit juicing should be consumed.

~ Do you have a water purifier or distiller? Only this water should be drunk. You don't want to defeat the purpose of cleansing by adding more chemmies and toxins in your system so tap and bottled water should be avoided.

~ Plan a time when you are not under much stress or that the fast might interfere with your daily routine. You'll need extra time for sleep and relaxation during the fast.

~ You need to know there is a good chance of experiencing adverse effects as toxins are let loose into your blood stream before it gets eliminated.

~ Water fasts can be done from 1 to 30 days. Depending on how you feel, the first fast should last about 1 to 3 days. Each time, you can increase the days.

~ You may also consider doing a colon cleanse beforehand. This will get the junk out of the digestive tract before the embedded toxins can be released from the rest of the body.

~ Never ever break your fast with regular foods! This is sooooo important! Fruit and fruit juices only for a couple of days and slowly begin adding your other foods.

There really is a science to do an extreme water fast. And, most importantly, listen to your body!

20. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

How was the water diet? Did it work for you?