Web-hosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by cshakesby, Jan 30, 2009.

1. cshakesby

cshakesby New Member

Hey guys im very slowly getting ready to start my ownline business. Now before i start i wanted to get everyones opinion on which web-hosting you like the best and why. I would really like to know if any of you have also found a website that does webhosting and also helps you build a good looking website..not one that looks like a 10 yr old could do it.

Please let me know what you have used...if you dont mind, could you also post links to what your sites look like so that i can get an idea on how i should set it up?

Thank you so much!!!!
  2. Sonni

Sonni New Member

I use Hostgator they have been good about customer service and my sites are never down. Three sites in my sig are my blogs. Another one is Bluehost when I first began I did research and came down to those two. Both came up equal in all counts except price so Hostgator won they had a coupon.
    Sonni
  3. cshakesby

cshakesby New Member

is there a reason why no one uses something like godaddy? is it just 2 high priced or what
  4. john57

john57 New Member

I do not know much about GoDaddy other than them being one of if not the biggest domain registrar on the net. I have heard 50/ 50 on their hosting which is not any higher priced than anyone else last time I looked. HostGator has excellent reviews and would be a good choice.
    I went with a little less known host called SharkSpace. I had a problem last night emailed and got a reply in 8 minutes. Also note that a lot of web hosting review sites are paid by the web hosts they review.

John
  5. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

being an affiliate marketer...

I would recommend...

HOST4PROFITS!! =].

This webhost is amazing. They are a little bit pricey (25$)./month.

However for every person you refer you get 10$ a month recurring!

There is no contract to sign and you only pay monthly.

They also have tons of free resources for affiliate marketers like us =].

Good luck!
  6. Sonni

Sonni New Member

I think it's best to have two separate companies one for hosting and one for domains. That way if there is an issue with the hosting company and they put a freeze on your account they can't touch your domains. I use Hostgator and 1 and 1.
    Sonni
  7. Daegan

Daegan New Member

My favorite hosting company is Godaddy, but I typically use Dreamweaver to create my own websites and that's what I suggest you do as well. It's a lot more flexible than anything a hosting company could provide.

To the top,

Daegan
  8. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Sonni: I think it's best to have two separate companies one for hosting and one for domains.
    That's exactly how my domains and hosting are set up. When I registered my first domain back in 2000, the hosting packages the registrar offered in those days were obscenely expensive for the features being offered at the time, so I went elsewhere for my hosting.

Sonni: That way if there is an issue with the hosting company and they put a freeze on your account they can't touch your domains.
    I have heard many horror stories from webmasters who got jammed when they tried to relocate their registration and hosting. So, I support any practical solution that gives you some flexibility and control when it comes to these matters.

Hermas
  9. Elysium

Elysium New Member

Web hosting language is still very 'foreign' to me, but clearly it's useful. I joined a biz for the sake of the matrix tied into it, but the product is web hosting. I figure it would be a good idea for me to understand the product part better.

Could anyone possibly tell me what the following means in English? Is all web hosting pretty much the same? I'm feeling really computer challenged at the moment...

500 megs webhosting
    web hosting, forum hosting, blog hosting
    phpBB3 Forum hosting
    Novice friendly hosting with a WYSIWYG site builder

(Any newbie translation would be greatly appreciated!)
  10. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Elysium,

When ever you want to learn more about something just read about it. Google and Wikipedia are usually a good place to start.

Not all web hosting is the same. You have to spend some time reading reviews and comparing companies yourself to see which would be the best choice for your own specific needs.

Understanding the terminology and concepts is a required first step.

Elysium: Could anyone possibly tell me what the following means in English? Is all web hosting pretty much the same? I'm feeling really computer challenged at the moment...

500 megs webhosting
    web hosting, forum hosting, blog hosting
    phpBB3 Forum hosting
    Novice friendly hosting with a WYSIWYG site builder

(Any newbie translation would be greatly appreciated!)

"500 megs web hosting" = hard drive space provided for your account.

web hosting, forum hosting, blog hosting = you can host a traditional site, blog, and/or forum.

phpBB3 Forum hosting = a specific type of forum is also allowed.

Novice friendly hosting with a WYSIWYG site builder = WYSIWYG means "What You See Is What You Get" and it's a type of editor for creating websites similar to Microsoft Word in that it has friendly menus instead of needing to know how to code.

I recommend Googling some terms and phrases to better understand the terminology and concepts.

You'll also need to know about bandwidth, multiple domains, and cost per month among other things.

Good luck,

~Newbie Shield~
  11. Elysium

Elysium New Member

Newbie Shield,

When first seeing all those numbers/letters it was kinda intimidating, so I guess I assumed you had to be computer savvy to understand any online definitions. My newbieness is over-complicating things I'm sure.

I never would have guessed what the WYSIWYG meant... that's kinda funny.

Thanks for putting out the basics. I will venture out and see what more I can learn.

Ely
  12. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Ely,

You're welcome. It's normal to be a little intimidated by technology terms and concepts at first. Just hang in there and wade through it and you'll understand most of what you need to know without suffering too much ;)

There are several acronyms in the technology and related industries that made me laugh the first time I discovered the meanings. In addition to WYSIWYG there is:

POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service
    SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
    GIGO = Garbage In, Garbage Out

...and a few others I have forgotten over the years (I've been a geek for over 20 year now, yikes!)

Be sure to come back after your venturing out :)

~Newbie Shield~
  13. kgloh23

kgloh23 New Member

I choose bluehost for web hosting.
  14. tygersclaw

tygersclaw New Member

Here is a suggestion when looking for webhosting. Go where Web Hosts go to chat about hosting!!! http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

On Web Hosting Talk, hosts will post offers for hosting (either shared, reseller, Virtual Server and Dedicated Server offerings) and as well you can read reviews of the different hosting companies mentioned already in this thread as well as many others.

Another idea for people to look at, especially if you are planning on having 10 or more domains, is getting a "Reseller" account. Basically what this is overall is a program where you can host 10 domains, but you have the ability to add domains to your account, and remove them as need be. You can set some accounts up to be 500MB or whatever you feel you need.

Or look at a VPS (Virtual Private Server). Basically VPS is where you are still essentially on a shared server, but there is not as many master accounts on that server, but, and this is a BIG but, within those Master accounts, could be LOTS of smaller accounts some of which could be resource hogs (adultr websites, forums and live chat are common culprits).

Domain Registration. Look into becoming a Reseller of Domain Registrations. I have an account with Enom and I get my domain registrations for $8.35 per year TOTAL cost. But I can sell Domain Registration services and as well make money on that service. GoDaddy also has a Domain Reseller program in place as well which you may wish to check out.

Before going with any host, do as you did when you started your online business. Check them out by reading reviews on Web Hosting Talk, maybe send a email to their Support and see how long response takes (many hosts are but 1 person who is reselling services on another host so obviously when they are sleeping or not home, they will/cannot respond).

Email Support of the potential host before you email Sales as sometimes even resellers will get people online to respond to sales questions, and leave the support to themselves. What does their Online Support consist of? Email only, or is there a Support Ticket System, and most importantly, is there Telephone support. Do not ever choose any host who does not offer Telephone support. Seriously.

Anyway...rambled long enough. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
  15. terry3111

terry3111 New Member

Thanks. Me a bloghosting interests.
  16. sequencehosting

sequencehosting New Member

Godaddy has a very bad reputation when it comes to support. My guess would be it's due to their rapid growth. It may be hard for them to provide a decent level of support because of their size.
  17. vinnymatrix

vinnymatrix Guest

Well, for me I would recommend Global Domains International. Its Free for 7 days than only $10/month after. Gives you your own domain name, hosting package, Email Address, Domain Forwarding, and a income opportunity thats well worth it. You get $1 for every person you refer in and plus $1 per person your referral refers in for 5 levels. There is no limit of how many people you can bring in. They also pay you $100 for every 5 people you refer in. I've been with this company for only a month and I made it on the leaderboard for $100 bonus for the week!
  18. I have 2 websites hosted by Host4Profit and many hosted by Hostgator.

I have never had any problems with either.
  19. newbiz02

newbiz02 New Member

sequencehosting: Godaddy has a very bad reputation when it comes to support. My guess would be it's due to their rapid growth. It may be hard for them to provide a decent level of support because of their size.
    I agree because at first i was using them for hosting but one day my site got suspended without warning because i was using up all their bandwidth [​IMG]

Anyway i removed the plugin that was causing the problem and my site came back after 24hrs. So from now on i can buy some .info domains from them but nothing serious.
  20. katereber

katereber New Member

Barb Thornback: I have 2 websites hosted by Host4Profit and many hosted by Hostgator.
    Definitely, I agree with this..

If you want to know more about Hostgator or Host4Profit, you can

search it on google.. You will know everything about those products,

benefits and terms of payments..