web page and forum?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by alander, Mar 10, 2008.

1. alander

alander New Member

I am embarassed to have to ask this.
    I have an idea for a forum I would like to start but don`t know where to begin.
    I have secured the domain name but don`t know what to do next. Do I need to start with a web page and then download a forum application?
    As you can see I am very new to this idea, if anyone can suggest a site where I can get an explanation on how to build this from the ground up I would really appreciate it. thanks

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I wanted to reply to this soon but somehow got side-tracked.

Quoting: alanderI have secured the domain name but don`t know what to do next. Do I need to start with a web page and then download a forum application?

If you just want a forum on your site, then you just need to install the forum software on your domain. However, if you want a forum in addition to standalone website/blog, then you need to create the site first and then install the forum software in one of the sub-directories. This post might interest you.

3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

You will need to purchase hosting and then add a forum. If the hosting package uses Cpanel, the software installation is simple.

4. dmitch31

dmitch31 New Member

If you use bluehost.com, they will install a variety of CMSs (Content Management Systems) and/or forum packages for you. I would definitely recommend that route. It's much much easier than messing with trying to install the software yourself. I use bluehost and I like them, but I'm sure that other webhosts have the same features. Bluehost, however, has almost any popular piece of portal, cms, or forum software available. The open source ones anyway.