Weight Watchers.?

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by dealrocker, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dealrocker

dealrocker New Member

Weight Watchers has been around for a long time now. Is anyone here doing Weight Watchers or has anyone tried it in the past? I am planning to join a diet program. Few of my friend got positive results with Weight Watchers and I hope the same will happen for me.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. BobFirestone

BobFirestone New Member

I have not done weight watchers personally but know a few people who have. Like any reasonable diet program if you follow through it will work.

By ordering their prepared food you are getting smaller meal portions. This is really the key to results is retraining your body to recognize proper portion size.

If you don't plan on going to the meetings you can replace meals with lean cuisine microwave meals from your grocery store.

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi dealrocker,

I'm not a medical professional or a licensed dietitian. Therefore I am not qualified to give out medical or dietary advice nor am I doing so here.

Losing weight is about lifestyle change.

That means intake and output or diet and exercise.

Bob is right - smaller portions often play a big role as does cutting back on seconds and avoiding too much junk food.

The other bit is to both burn off calories and increase your metabolism by exercising.

Nothing more to it except to know that you also need your daily vitamins, minerals, and proper water intake.

There's no need to pay for any program and "diets" don't really last.

It's a daily game. Give it top priority.

Vary your food and exercise else you'll get so bored you'll go back to lazing around and eating too much.

That's it!

~Newbie Shield~

4. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

I know that some people have difficulty losing weight and keeping it off without support groups like Weight Watchers. So if you are that type of person, give Weight Watchers a try.

But it really comes down to a healthy diet low in fats, exercise and watching your calories. The rule of thumb is for every 10 lbs of weight, you need 100 calories to maintain it. So if you weighed 140 lbs and were happy with it, then you would need 1400 calories to maintain your weight. Of course, this amount of calories could be increased if you were physically active.

5. mellin

mellin Member

Yes, I am a HUGE fan of weight watchers. It is more than just a support group, and it is more than just stocking your freezer with lean cuisine foods and eating smaller quantities. Weight watchers is not a diet program, it is a lifestyle change, so that when you take off the weight, you keep it off. The education and support you get through weight watchers is second to none. I have heard many people say (me included) that they have tried to lose weight with many programs and have failed and that weight watchers was the only program that they found success with. Good luck to you!

6. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

I agree with you mellin that the concept of dieting will not help you lose weight. Rather it is changing your lifestyle and your eating habits and if Weight Watchers helps people do that who can't do it on their own - that is a great thing. People should do what they need to do to have a healthy weight.

I have a friend that always loses weight with weight watchers but the problem is that she never sticks to it! Motivation is required even for weight watchers.

7. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

The advertisers are always bombarding with the idea of the diet pill. To make it easy. It's all about food. Good advice from everyone. And sometimes it does take support from a group, whatever works to achieve the goal. But it does take effort and determination, never forget that. Wish you the best dealrocker.

8. AshleySullivan

AshleySullivan New Member

dealrocker: Weight Watchers has been around for a long time now. Is anyone here doing Weight Watchers or has anyone tried it in the past? I am planning to join a diet program. Few of my friend got positive results with Weight Watchers and I hope the same will happen for me.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    You should give them a try. They're pretty good.

9. nanlar

nanlar New Member

My wife has been on Weight Watchers for 2 years and lost 45lbs. I have supported her in this by doing the cooking for her learned allot of recipes that are family friendly as well. Support from her group has been fantastic. I agree it is a lifestyle change and the weight will most likely come off in small increments. Be patient

10. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

There's a reason they have been around for awhile. They have a good support system. They use a point system, which makes it easy to count the calories. Jean Nidetch is pretty knowledable and she is well respected in the industry.

11. Michael Merry

Michael Merry New Member

dealrocker
    Weight Watchers is really no better, or worse, than any other weight loss program. Some products and programs mitigate the symptom, very few deal effectively with the problem. A problem that is likely to get worse, because the symptom feeds a rapacious $68 billion [U.S.] industry.
    It's time the overweight realized that safe, permanent weight loss cannot be purchased. 99% of it is commitment: a reason, a goal, and icy determination. Those who insist on spending money should try spending some on that.
    Without serious commitment all the pills, potions and programs are worth a hill of beans [​IMG]

12. wealthbuilders

wealthbuilders New Member

My close family member has tried weight watchers and it worked for her...the key is indeed the lifestyle change as if you do not maintain a healty eating lifestyle after the program, you will balloon back up.

You may want to look into Kevin Trudeau's book - "The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About". Supposedly his "cure" to weight loss will keep your fat off for good, and cause you to not lose any muscle - in as little as 30 days.

13. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

It's a good program. It helps take a lot of the guessing out and also you have good peer support, which can be a big help in terms of staying motivated.

14. bing

bing New Member

It think with any endeavor in life, the most important factor is keep the motivation alive. So weight watcher is indeed a right choice for losing weight.

But if you are a I-can-do-it type of person, then cheers to your success. With proper mindset, you are already half-done. [​IMG]

15. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

Motivation is important, but also commitment. That is more premeditative.

16. Paul DArcy

Paul DArcy New Member

I've seen programs like Weight Watchers and Medical Weight Loss Centers work. I know folks that have lost weight and improved their health substantially.

Those same folks gained all their weight back -and then some too! [​IMG]

I don't know why exactly -but I tend to think that a person gets tired of the regimen and they eventually break down. It's a shame really -to work so hard for so long -only to backslip.

There are a few easy to implement habits that can really help you lose the weight -and keep it off.

17. Shanec

Shanec New Member

My wife does weight watchers and loves it. She is also a very analytical type who loves checking things off of her lists. WW is good for those types of people because who have to keep track of all of your points and record them. That is not my personality so it does not mesh well with me.

18. jbhabs

jbhabs New Member

It's all about changing your lifestyle. WW can work for the time being on it and then what? You have to look at the long term picture. Changing your lifestyle is part of losing weight for the long term.

Many of the food we eat that's in the cupboard are just simply - excuse my french - crap. Another thing juice, do you think fresh juice from the store can contribute to your healthy nutrition? Not at all... Almost all of them have SUGAR in them or a chemical name stating the same.

19. Rach72

Rach72 New Member

Paul DArcy: I've seen programs like Weight Watchers and Medical Weight Loss Centers work. I know folks that have lost weight and improved their health substantially.

Those same folks gained all their weight back -and then some too!
    That's usually because instead of actually changing their mindset and lifestyle they have gone straight back to their old ways once they have reached their 'goal' weight.

Weight loss is hard, keeping it off is harder. WW is a way of life - it teaches you how to 'budget' your food. Same as you do for the house expenses [​IMG]

I lost a total of 86kg using the WW system (didn't join, just used their points system to 'budget' my food) but most importantly I learned what foods piled weight on me and which ones didn't.

That was 2 years ago and I am still at my goal weight.

20. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

You are what you eat. Basic rule to go by. Exercise is very important too.