What are the Best Motivators?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by glindow, Aug 3, 2009.

1. glindow

glindow New Member

This is somewhat of a rhetorical statement, but not really. I just find myself wondering what people have found to be their best source of motivation, long term or short term. My apologies if there is a similar post somewhere.

I have tried various things to get my motivation for working at home going, they even last for awhile, and then I get bored and those goals get set aside. I tried using that new desktop I want and then I lost interest, partly realizing that with a new desktop I would just sit in front of it playing computer games. Then I tried using my desire to go back to Hawaii, which sort of worked, till I got used to the picture on my desktop, taken in Hawaii. Maybe I should get a new picture.

Now I suddenly find myself realizing I am bloody freaking broke! Hopefully that will turn out to be the best motivation of all, though I still need to find an actual job to keep me paying my bills.

Anyone else found anything that is particularly motivating for them and possibly somebody else?
  2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Gus,

Keeping things before you as you have done is one good method.

This applies to what you want in life and also wish to avoid.

Hopefully you also enjoy online marketing. If not, then it'll be a forced march and that's no fun.

Best thing to do is to strike a balance - work hard and play hard every day. Take a few days off for a vacation every few months to break away from it.

Get your exercise in and give some time to a little socializing and hobbies.

Once you start making significant money, you will see it with new eyes.

Last, be actionable. Once you have learned a fair amount and experimented a little, create and implement a project. Repeat this over and over with new projects. Task variety is critical.

~Newbie Shield~
  3. JoyBringsWealth

JoyBringsWealth New Member

Great advice Newbie Shield. I think we all lose our motivation every so often. What works best for me is to make a daily, weekly, and monthly plan of things I will do EVERY DAY - come rain or shine every 90 days. Kind of like a work out and diet plan, except it's for my online business. Then when the 90 days are up, I look at what worked and I do more of that, and I look at what didn't and I switch those things to something new. On the days I don't feel like following it, I tell myself I don't have to like it, I just have to do it. So I give myself permission to not like it and do it anyway. In the end I'm always so happy that I did it!
  4. jeffathome

jeffathome New Member

I focus on the prize. If I keep working out on a regular basis the prize should be a long healthy life of hopefully looking and feeling good. If I help others the prize is a lifetime of residual income. Never quit. Even baby steps can take you a long way.
  5. TshirtFrank

TshirtFrank New Member

Great Posts!
    JoyBringsWealth, I am a lot like you I am a list builder. I have a spreadsheet with the next 8 weeks already planned out for me so that I know what I have to do every time I sit in front of the computer. The thing thing that motivates me most is my desire to be my own boss..... and I want it Bad!!!
  6. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Newbie Shield: Hopefully you also enjoy online marketing
    . If not, then it'll be a forced march and that's no fun.
    This one I think is pretty ignored aspect, but one of the most vital aspects in determining your overall well-being. The one thing I have started hating recently about working from home (especially if it involves doing work entirely on your PC without getting in touch with your clients in real sense) is that it cuts you out from the outer world. Your life then starts entirely around your PC. You are happy when you make money and see success and you become sad and stressed when you see your income going down. The happiness you get is also momentary and fleeting. No sooner you achieve one goal, your goal is shifted to next level. And so on... You never get satisfied.

Real happiness can be found only in serving others. When you serve others and if it makes them happy, then that makes you really happy. That is true happiness. And it empowers you and nurtures you. Only then your true creativity and purpose in life unfolds. And once that happens, and you start following it, you'll be eternally happy.

I don't say you should stop working from home. But definitely take some time everyday to reach out and serve people. This will nourish your spiritually and give you real happiness.

Sorry for going off tangent!
  7. BobFirestone

BobFirestone New Member

1. Pain is almost always the best motivator. Is playing solitaire on your computer more fun than being broke is painful?

2. Is there passion behind your positive goals? I have been in goal setting workshops and people say their goals are things like moving to a tropical island but you very can clearly see that there is no fire to actually get there.

Day to day you probably need to treat it like a job. It isn't exciting or fun but the important part is getting results.

One of my dad's favorite sayings "selling is like shaving, if you don't do it every day pretty soon you start to look like a bum."
  8. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Great topic!

So many great things shared. I have to admit, my biggest motivator is when I make a sale...lol

That kinda like adds fuel to my tail and I go like a madman, er, lady for awhile.[​IMG]

But I agree that regardless what motivates us, a big reason for losing that motivation is sheer boredom - or for me, it is.

I have been trying to get out more and it really helps. Hubby and I had a picnic at some really great falls a few days ago and yesterday I took a few hours off to take the kids to the lake.

It just has a way of renewing me and I don't spend as much time fiddling around, trying to GET motivated when I DO hit the PC again - as I don't have time to![​IMG]
  9. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Vishal P. Rao: Real happiness can be found only in serving others.
    Hi Vishal: That's absolutely true. I've been feeling that way and acting on it for many years. Nothing brings me fulfillment like serving others or serving an important cause.

mountainmom5: I have been trying to get out more and it really helps. Hubby and I had a picnic at some really great falls a few days ago and yesterday I took a few hours off to take the kids to the lake.

It just has a way of renewing me and I don't spend as much time fiddling around, trying to GET motivated when I DO hit the PC again - as I don't have time to!
    Hi M5: I'm glad you feel that way about it. It really does feed the enthusiasm and makes you quite a bit more focused. I'm heading out to the lake myself in a little over an hour.

JoyBringsWealth: make a daily, weekly, and monthly plan...On the days I don't feel like following it, I tell myself I don't have to like it, I just have to do it. So I give myself permission to not like it and do it anyway.
    Hi JoyBringsWealth: Plans do make a big difference. I plan everything very carefully before I implement anything at all.

There are times when I force myself to do something even if I don't feel like it. I simply stop the thought processes that threaten to prevent me from doing what I know needs to be done and just do it.

~Newbie Shield~
  10. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

What are the best motivators?

That's a great question and the posts in this thread are all very insightful.

I like Newbie Shield's advice to strike a balance between working, playing and exercising. Variety is the spice of life and you should pay attention to the different aspects of your personality. It's one way to keep your sanity.

Making short and longterm to do lists, as JoyBringsWealth does, and then forcing yourself to stick to them when you really don't feel like it, is also an important part of the equation.

JeffAtHome points to persistence and baby steps to stay on target. For TshirtFrank it is the desire to be his own boss.

Vishal puts the spotlight on the feeling of isolation that can accompany working from home staring into a computer monitor all day, with little face-to-face human interaction.

BobFirestone identifies "pain" as perhaps the best motivator and sees the absence of fire as a counter productive element.

Our beloved MountainMom and recently elevated Gold Member (Congrats! [​IMG]) admits she is at peak motivation when she makes a sale, but can lose it all to sheer boredom.

I doubt there is one person who doesn't ever get stuck at some time or other while in pursuit of a goal. It's part of the human process I suppose.

My own opinion is that whatever image, thing or condition you use as a motivator, it is important to realize that:

1. Your degree of motivation will peak and dip from time to time
    2. It is essential to have an action plan to follow
    3. You should make a commitment to follow that plan

On those occasions when you're really not in the mood, simply going through the motions according to your plan will keep you moving forward, even if you have no emotional attachment at that moment.

Productive action will trump boredom every time and boost your level of motivation.

The Shield agrees!

Newbie Shield: Last, be actionable.
    Hermas
  11. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I think poverty would do it!
  12. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Trying to think like someone who is successful in business & trying to copy their methodology. Better to learn what you can from the best & who are proven & are'nt pushing an agenda or trying to get you to part with your cash.

I personally bought a couple of books about top business people & it did change my approach to certain things & has kept me more focused.

Mark [​IMG]
  13. TCharmLady

TCharmLady New Member

The many people that I have motivated to even start an online business have found it hard just to be motivated to start.

I found though, if you just do something every single day, no matter how little or big it is, it will keep you moving towards success.

But I have to agree, you must possess the passion and desire to want to succeed at anything that you do. Without it, then how can you get out of bed the next morning, learn a new marketing technique, design a new product, etc.

Passion and desire have to be from within and that is really nothing you can teach or even learn. We all have some kind of passion within us - find what that is and then go for it!

I have been an artist all my life but went down the path of working for a corporation for over 25 years because I thought 'that is what you are suppose to do". About 4 years ago I turned my passion and desire for art into a business which now affords me more time to be with family and friends AND leave an 8 to 5 job that I so much did not want to do any more.

So go for it ...... turn your passion and desire into your dream of success - what ever that may be.
  14. nanlar

nanlar New Member

For me it is the little things! A great comment on my blog Or a new found method that is showing some progress and most of all a SALE! It is all good!
  15. thefortunemaker

thefortunemaker New Member

For me, my son motivates me. i keep photos of my son and fiancee all around me while im working in my home office.

my family are the reason i started an online business

best wishes

Robert
  16. TCharmLady

TCharmLady New Member

thefortunemaker (Robert), Thank you for reminding me of the 'why' I got started. And it is just like you ..... our son.

I have his pictures all around me as well. From when he started kindergarten, playing baseball to his high school pictures and family photos of my husband our son, me and our little dog!

Family is huge motivation ...... the more sales/success = more time with family and friends!
  17. celebratelife

celebratelife New Member

Staying focus can be tough, but if you write down your "whys" and they are big enough you will march forward. Great website is
    www.findyourwhyandfly.com Also daily meditation is great. Here is a great website for a free CD www.manifestationmeditation.com
    you do pay for shipping. Check out www.mindmovies.com Guess you can tell I love info on personal development.......the key to success.....be mentored. Your thoughts become things........
    [​IMG]Smile........life is good
    Laurie Greenup
  18. Ann Williams

Ann Williams New Member

TCharmLady: thefortunemaker (Robert), Thank you for reminding me of the 'why' I got started. And it is just like you ..... our son.

I have his pictures all around me as well. From when he started kindergarten, playing baseball to his high school pictures and family photos of my husband our son, me and our little dog!

Family is huge motivation ...... the more sales/success = more time with family and friends!

Me too. As I type on the computer, my sons, both of them, pictures are right in my line of view. What also helps to motivate me, is being able to look out a window and see trees, sky, people coming and going, hearing birds etc. This reminds me that there is more happening then in my corner of the world, that awaits for me.
  19. paolo4

paolo4 New Member

Hi,
    Great advice from everyone.
    I would recommend you get yourself pen and paper and jot down what you need to do in the forthcoming week.
    Plan ahead. Stick to your notes. Once you have forefilled your daily targets you will feel better and know you actually achieved something. Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today.
  20. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

It took me about two months to get my finger out my backside & start to write a plan of action & checklist eg.

8.00am - 12pm Trading checking charts on Sport & Financial

12.00 - 12.30pm Lunch

12.30 - 4.30pm Internet Marketing - Blogs, Forums, Videos,
    Advertising ............

4.30pm - 5.00pm Tie up any loose ends

5.00pm - on My own time

Treat it like a real job & have a weekly/monthly checklist & try to devote as much time to your business as possible & also to have the usual breaks, so not to sicken yourself & stay positive & determined at all times & spent your time productively !

Mark [​IMG]