What do you lead with? Your product or your opportunity?

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by topmlmpro, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kurvey

Kurvey New Member

You should have something worthwhile to market. The bigger bucks are obviously getting good people in your down line, but without a good product or service, it's all meaningless. My formula is 60% product or service - 40% business opportunity.

2. Karina Rosas

Karina Rosas New Member

Indeed Kurvey ;)

3. Rob VP

Rob VP New Member

This is the best advice you will find. I preach this on a regular basis to my downline. It's so easy for inexperienced people to just go right out and start "selling" the opportunity. NO NO NO.. sell yourself!

payment proof likes this.
  4. RobStuart

RobStuart New Member

I made two different sites for the purposes of focusing separately on the product or the opportunity, depending on where my traffic is coming from (primarily search terms). They contain essentially the same information, but are constructed in different formats using varying content, which allows me to promote both sides of the business without losing half the audience. It was a lot of extra work, but I find it's been beneficial for me.

Mark Stafford and payment proof like this.
  5. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

Very good advice, Kurvey. The product is clearly more important than the opportunity, because the business wouldn't be able to survive without it.

6. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

That's a pretty reasonable approach, Rob.

7. MarieA73

MarieA73 Member

That's a great idea RobStuart. Our approaches should be tailored, at least a little, toward the prospects. I talk about what the prospect is interested in; however, I'm fortunate that most are somewhat curious about my product, and many will simply approach me about it and aren't even interested in our opportunity. However, if I'm talking to a person who is mlm-minded, then I emphasize the opportunity more, although I still lead with the product.

8. utinkiam

utinkiam New Member

Lead with VALUE... always give at least twice before trying to make the sale. If you build your list and they come to expect value from you then they are way more likely to get involved in your program, product or your upsell...whatever. If you can find a GREAT free product or service to provide use that to get them onto your mailing list and into your sales funnel. Your offer might not be for them today...but if they are still on your list in 6 months because you gave them value they just might be at the point in their life that they want in.

9. Taff

Taff New Member

This is great advice and true.

First you must build a relationship and find out what they need and help them to move away from their nightmare and closer to their dreams.

Don't sell sell sell, just relax. Just ask do they want to discover the opportunity , thats one way !

payment proof and JTGMarketing like this.
  10. closerjim

closerjim Active Member

Best to lead with a good "ear" for "problems" people more than willingly reveal in everyday conversation.

If the problems (they sound like complaints or areas of discomfort being described to you) are ones you can solve with your product ... lead with questions about their willingness to expand on it a bit.

If the problems are ones you can solve with your compensation plan, training, mentorship, MONEY .... lead with questions .... that lead THEM to find they are open to those sorts of ideas.

If you're not sure what they really want or need after some questions and dialog ... lead with nothing.

It's a great time saver.

11. NetMecca

NetMecca Member

Any MLM opportunity that is real, is driven by products, so if the products will sell, likely so will the MLM. An MLM without proper products to sell is likely just another pyramid scam.

Cheers

payment proof and MarieA73 like this.
  12. MarieA73

MarieA73 Member

Exactly, NetMecca. I think it's important to have a product or service you yourself would use or have used or continue to use. Selling something you don't believe in is destructive to the soul. Many justify it because they believe in the "opportunity", but at the core, there needs to be a reason for being for the company beyond the "opportunity."

13. OGDownunder

OGDownunder New Member

Opportunity

14. BuyYourOwnHouse

BuyYourOwnHouse New Member

Our opportunity is the product (or earning potential, if you will). Making sure people understand what they need to do, how our compensation plan works, and how to effectively market are all ways I try to get new team members off to a good start. And I'm always available to them to help - I particularly love using the chat feature in email or facebook for that.

15. JamieAmeriplan

JamieAmeriplan New Member

Definitely the opportunity....if they don't feel like the opportunity is for them, then maybe they can just use the service/product you are marketing ;)

16. Anders J

Anders J Member

I lead with myself, my team and my marketing system. My choice of business is on the backend.

17. Rhianna

Rhianna New Member

From the start I like to offer my support throughout their journey, let them know my opportunity, what it has to offer and my role to step them through the process but it's up to them to decide whether its for them or not and if someone is interested to learn more they take the next step to get more information about the product!

18. Jandy

Jandy New Member

I guess for me it would be opportunity comes first. ;)

19. Kyäni

Kyäni New Member

If you have a perfect product of course product first. Every 10 people I am giving samples 8 of them wants to buy products or want to become a distributor after usage.

20. Brian Gibbs

Brian Gibbs New Member

On this thread I have read product; I have read opportunity and my opportunity is my product. First, if your opportunity is your product you should look for another opportunity. It has no staying power and you'll eventually be looking for another opportunity.

For me, the answer to this question is - it depends. It depends on who I am talking with. For some people it is better to lead with the products. After all, approaching a doctor, lawyer, or realtor with the opportunity first might not get you the results you're looking for. But, if you show them the product first you're more likely to have a customer who converts to an affiliate.

<Snip>
    [Link removed - Admin]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
    JStandridge, payment proof and Tina19 like this.