What Do You Think About This?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by westfam11, Apr 11, 2009.

1. westfam11

westfam11 Member

I just read this from Chris Rempel and want to know what others think?

"Do What You Love And the Money Will Follow..."

"This is probably one of the biggest myths of all time...

Not just in the affiliate industry, but in the entire business landscape altogether.

There are the odd exceptions, but by and large, when people insist that they only way they can be successful and happy is to build a business around their favorite hobby - or their biggest passion - they are destined to make a very painful realization:

Your passions and Your ideas do NOT drive the marketplace.

The only thing that matters is what the customers want.

And what they buy.

Not to sound like a hardened capitalist (and I'm not), but the simple fact of that matter is that if you want to succeed in business, then your job is simple:

Sell stuff that lots of people want.

And the same applies to affiliate marketing. In fact - it's even easier, since you don't have to compete in the marketplace as another contender. You can just waltz right in, find out what people are already buying, and then get in front of that crowd with an offer they're already interested in".

I found this very interesting and wanted to know the opinion of some other marketers who are doing well.

2. Tiny1

Tiny1 New Member

You know I agree with you to some extent. However, I have found that if you can find something that you enjoy doing that other's will pay you for then you are miles ahead. Affiliate marketing is one of those strange internet opportunities that can fit this bill.
    I enjoy finding ways to promote other peoples products. In a way I may not be doing what I would call my hobby business, I am however, working a business that I enjoy. Thus, allowing me to put that passion into it that I would if I was say making leather goods to sell.

Bright Blessings
    The Tiny1 [​IMG]
  3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Becky,

I agree with one point that you've made below:

westfam11: The only thing that matters is what the customers want
    I have mixed feelings about some of the other points you've made:

westfam11: Your passions and Your ideas do NOT drive the marketplace.
    On the point just above here, while it's partly true, the beauty of authority sites (do what you love and the money will follow - longevity campaign) is that folks get to know you. If you seem to be a good guide, they will trust you.

Once they get to know you and trust you, they will buy from you.

How do you feel when you see a fly-by-night mini junk site? Which site are you more likely to buy from?

The longer you hold and build a site, the more pages you have. The more pages you have, the more chances you get to monetize from. Furthermore, folks seem to trust larger sites. I sure do. Professional appearance helps quite a bit as well.

The networks of mini sites can work too if they are done well, there's no doubt. But the big money is in the large sites that last.

It's much easier to stay interested in, be passionate about, and continuously add content to a site about something you love.

Visitors will quickly be able to sense your passion and will trust you more when they do. They will also quickly be able to sense your competence on a topic or lack thereof.

I'll leave it up to you to weigh things out for yourself but I would like to close with a word of caution:

Be careful who you listen to.

~Newbie Shield~
  4. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Thanks for your opinions. I really appreciate them.

It gives me some insight on which direction I am going to be going in.

Thanks again,

5. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I agree that one's passions and ideas do not drive the marketplace. Good old supply and demand does. Since supply and demand dictates the marketplace, what the customer wants truly matters.

However, whatever one's favorite hobby or passion may be, you can bet there are others who share a similar passion for the same thing. Only two variables matter:

1. the number of people who share that passion.
    2. the strength of their interest in a particular product.

For example. While golf fashion accessories may have an obvious and extensive market, there may be a comparatively greater demand in the more obscure Goth fashion accessories market. Golf may drawf Goth, but Goth could offer a better return on investment than golf.

There are people making tons of money everyday in subculture markets so remote and tiny that "regular" folks don't even know they exist. Everything's relative!

So, if you feel strongly about a hobby or are passionate about something, your love and commitment to that thing can inspire you to find others with the same interests and discover a sustainable market you could dominate.

6. annettejones

annettejones New Member

I do agree with the post. Ultimately its all about what the customer wants and whether your product or service is suitable for their needs.

The reason I normally look for work around my passions is because then I am motivated and enjoy my work. But people should remember that if you want to make serious money then you have to be in a business or work environment where customer's needs are getting addressed and also you need to research on the demand for the type of products or service you aim to provide.
  7. jaesun16

jaesun16 New Member

Ultimate goal for affiliate marketer is having sales regularly.[​IMG]

Most people fail to success because, they gave up when they don't

have as much as sale they expect while they are working hard as

best they can.[​IMG]

Nothing is easy to earn. Yes, it is free marketing business, but

It takes lots of your TIME( time equal to money)!!

Keep it in mind, Use your time wisely~[​IMG]

Happy day~^^[​IMG]
  8. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

jaesun16: Most people fail to success because, they gave up when they don't

have as much as sale they expect while they are working hard as

best they can
    Sometimes reality is cruel. It is not what you will expect.
    Effort = Sales.

Sometimes it will take time to develop the trust between the people before they buy from you.

It is the trust that you are building now.