What do you use to design your sites?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by jonathon, Mar 27, 2010.

1. taz87

taz87 New Member

Kane, nvu was a pain the back side for me plus it was very limited but it depends what you want from it I guess.

I can code from scratch XHTML,CSS,javascript. But What i end up doing most of the time is using xsitepro and that allows me more time on content and less time designing. It is very powerful program designed for internet marketers and online business but it is not cheap.

Taz
  2. Speedy2011

Speedy2011 Member

I do not know to much about html. So when I need a website put together, I first pay a designer to just put the website header together for me.

Then I use Front Page 2003 to build my website off of that website header I had a designer put together for me.
  3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I use SeaMonkey most of the time as a browser and HTML/WYSIWYG editor.
    It is the descendant of Mozilla Suite and a cousin of FireFox.
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
  4. Jose Roman

Jose Roman New Member

For anyone looking for video based tutorials, Lynda.com is excellent, courses in photoshop, html, dreamweaver, and all the high end software in general, as well as site building etc.... I believe its about $30 per month but don't quote me on that. I know guys who have made businesses off the info they learned on this site. Good luck!
  5. WorkinHard

WorkinHard New Member

To A8ch
    Had a look at Artiseer - any idea how much the full version is?

On topic now:
    I use a ton of photoshop and lean towards the free site builders like weebly and yola.
  6. simpleflair

simpleflair New Member

I use wordpress template when starting out but completely customize with simple html and css. And I usually get color inspirations from http://www.colourlovers.com/.
  7. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Ha, I think it's Joomla? I let someone else do it all for me. I am learning how to navigate a little in the back office part, but if it were left up to me, the site would never go live. I am terrible with the technical part, so I found someone who does it all for me now. I write the content, the ebooks for the site and work on driving traffic some.

This fabulous lady and her team do everything else for me, from social media, facebook fan pages, twitter, landing pages, setting up my auto-responder. You name it, she does it. It's a pretty big project. She isn't free of course but worth it.
  8. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

robinincarolina: but if it were left up to me, the site would never go live
    Right on target Robin. But don't fear learning to take control of it.
    I always try to train my clients to take over if I croak or retire.
    Some refuse to learn, others go way beyond and make me learn.
    Many just want me to do it for them but I don't work that way.

I never mastered Joomla, switched to WP and never looked back.
    It so much easier to teach the fear factor disappears quicker.
    Glad you have a fabulous lady/team to help get it done.
    Teamwork makes the dream work.
  9. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Oh I am learning. I can now change people's user names, today I am adding items to an online store that is there, but I just can't see it yet. I know how to make links in the form of a raw content code. So many things I did not even know existed actually do. She teaches and I want to learn.
  10. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Sounds exactly what I need - someone who will not only do, but teach. [​IMG]

I paid someone to program my store feature on my chocolate site (hosted at Bluehost instead of SBI), but I don't have a clue how to make the smallest little adjustment on that part of the site.

It seems crazy when I can do almost anything I want on the bulk of my sites. [​IMG] That one's like a complete foreign language to me!

It would be marvelous to have someone local that I could hire to make some changes and also let me look over their shoulder and learn how to do it.

I have to admit that it's not very high on my to-do list at the moment, but one of these days I hope the opportunity arises.

I'm glad to hear you have someone like that in your corner. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  11. Hemjoe

Hemjoe New Member

I have used xsitepro in the past, everything is made easy. [​IMG]
  12. I have a Joomla site and many Wordpress sites.

I use XHeader to create new headers and Banner Sketch to create banners - both are free [​IMG]
  13. bookgirl

bookgirl New Member

Okay, I'm gonna get a lot of criticism for this but I use open office for my site. I started out with it, got to know it and have just stuck with it. I'm not a design guru. I just wanted a cheap way to put up a site three years ago. I started with (brace yourselves) Website Tonight on Godaddy. It was awful. I already had OO for other things so I just jumped in and started learning to use it.

My brother called OO bad names mostly because it's a huge program. He said just use a text editor. My response to that was a blank stupid stare. I'm just learning. :p
  14. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

bookgirl: My brother called OO bad names mostly because it's a huge program.
    I suppose your brother also likes MS Office? OpenOffice.Org is the world standard.
    Open Office has many security features MicroSoft Office lacks, and it's FREE.
    OpenOffice.org Writer produces clean code even if it is a bit excessive.
    For an All-In-One Office program it beats MSOffice by a long shot.
    It is the standard for many governments around the world.
    bookgirl: Trying to appear sane. o_O Is it working?
    Well, not if we count your photo.[​IMG]
    Moving from website tonight to OOO was sane, doing what works for you is sane.
  15. bookgirl

bookgirl New Member

Just2EZ
    Well good. I don't feel so stupid then. And as for my brother liking msoffice, God no. He's very anti MS. Open source all the way. But he's a very high level programmer and thinks I should learn to write programs myself.

Hey, don't hate on the kitty. He's cool. :p
  16. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

bookgirl: the kitty. He's cool.
    Kitty is cool yes, but sane? that's another question.
    Your brother may be half right but ignore him anyway.
    If you really want to irritate him use SeaMonkey like I do.
    It is the original open source publisher from Netscape/Mozilla.
    I can hand code using notepad but that is just plain ridiculous.
    It comes in handy when adding a script but WYSIWYG rules the day.
    Just keep doing what works for you and ignore the critics.
  17. JennyO

JennyO New Member

I actually just hard code my sites.
  18. mreese601

mreese601 Member

Can You Say fiverr? I outsource the design work sometime I'll use photoshop!
  19. dann

dann New Member

I don't use any website builders exactly, but I probably should to save time.

I've recently gotten into using the HTML5 Boilerplace template.