What Does SEO Stand For?

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by KarlFabian, Jul 24, 2008.

1. KarlFabian

KarlFabian New Member

Not every one is familiar with the term SEO. Here is one simple non-technical definition.
    Simply put, it stands for Search Engine Optimization. It involves choosing the most productive key words and phrases that will most benefit a web sites traffic by increasing search engine ratings.
    Key words are those most frequently entered by persons looking for information by use of a search engine. We know what search engines are because there is search entry boxes everywhere we go online and even on our Internet browsers. Looking for something? Enter its key words into the search box and click on the search button. The results you get is a list starting with number one the highest rated and the most probable to be picked. Additional member SEO discussion is welcomed.

2. jschuman

jschuman New Member

SEO is not as complicated as search engine experts would like you to believe. If you can master the basics and try to think like a search engine it is really very simple.

Your job it is to make each page easy for the search engines to understand. If you focus on targeting one specific keyword or keyword phrase it is amazing how many times you can end up on page 1 of a search engine like Google.

I personally am on page 1 now for over 1500 unique phrases just from trying to make each page relevant to one keyword phrase.

3. Thugfried

Thugfried New Member

SEO has almost an aura of mysticism to many people - partially in thanks to people promoting SEO products.

Like jschuman said, it really isn't all that complicated. It only gets hairy when you try pandering to the search engines and begin looking for every little thing to tweak and modify. However, this method becomes increasingly difficult, as SE algorithms continue to evolve.

Focusing on creating relevant content which is of use to your visitors and arranging it in a way that shows (or rather suggests) to the SEs that it is relevant is, in my opinion, the best way to go. Essentially, you are simply looking to create content which pleases both humans and SE spiders. The good news is, as the Internet matures, the likes and dislikes of humans and spiders seem to be converging.

4. pcwork

pcwork New Member

It also depends on how many competitors you have , personally I feel the search engines today are not very efficient.

5. Thugfried

Thugfried New Member

pcwork: It also depends on how many competitors you have , personally I feel the search engines today are not very efficient.

True. Competition can really make winning top spots for certain phrases near impossible. I still think top organic rankings are worth going for though. Decent SEO takes very little effort, and it is free traffic. Might not end up being the major source of visitors, but it can help.

6. proson

proson New Member

well seo is not complicated but your primary interest is your user rather than just the search engines. just like keyword stuffing, it's no good for one to make a website that primary aim is to get No.1 ranking in Google but no one wants read your web copy because you stuff too many keywords on it!

7. De La Mente

De La Mente New Member

jschuman: SEO is not as complicated as search engine experts would like you to believe. If you can master the basics and try to think like a search engine it is really very simple.

Well said, Jschuman. It's all about learning the fundamental basics and then just being creative. [​IMG]

8. alex26

alex26 New Member

Search engine optimization

9. KarlFabian

KarlFabian New Member

Well everyone it has been a year now since I started this thread and I think SEO has not changed much, at least what we can clearly see of it.
    We may all be in store for major changes with Chrome and Ding beginning to dual. What's your opinion? Who do you think will be left standing during the first round and is there room for more than one ?

10. debbystewart

debbystewart New Member

Chrome is a web browser and not a search engine. Google made Chrome and Google has its own search engine that is tied to Chrome. You can however choose another search engine as default.
    Bing is a new search engine developed by Microsoft. So far, it is at its infancy and not many people (at least that I know) use it.
    It'll be a long way if (and that's a big IF) it ever catches up with Google. I wouldn't bet my money on it.

11. newbiz02

newbiz02 New Member

debbystewart: it is at its infancy and not many people (at least that I know) use it
    everyone should know about bing already, since its now the default search engine for msn.com

12. georgie

georgie Guest

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is a process of improving the volume and quality of traffic of a website on search engines.

13. daniel

daniel New Member

THANKS!!You have the most good elaboration of SEO for me..others just state whats in the dictionary

14. AlbanJoe

AlbanJoe New Member

Search Engine Optimizer
    OR
    Search Engine Optimization

The Precess of promoting a web site is called as SEO....
    TO optimize a web site according to the search engines result

15. Larycom

Larycom New Member

SEO means - Search Engine Optimizer: The Art of getting mass traffic to your website through natural / organic listings in Search Engines.

16. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Everyone has pretty much answered what the initials SEO stand for. But some of you may be asking how you CAN optimize your article, web page, or web site for the search engines.

Jeff has made some good points that are very important on writing/providing relevant content. However, just providing good content doesn't guarantee you will be listed high in the search results when people type in particular phrases in the various search engines.

There's a simple formula that I follow when writing an article or adding a new page to my website. It starts with keyword research, of course.

Once I know what keyword phrase I want to write about (after determining high demand with lower supply) I create the page like this...

1. Use the exact keyword phrase in the url name, and include it in the meta tags for the description, title, and keywords of the page.

2. Use the exact phrase in the Heading of the page.

3. Use the exact phrase in the first sentence of the page.

4. Use the exact phrase in the last paragraph (or close to it) of the page.

5. Use the exact phrase one or more times sprinkled throughout the rest of the content of the page depending on the length of the page or article.

6. Include the exact phrase in at least one text link on the page, but not more than 2.

Conveniently for me, there's a little tool that comes with SBI called AnalyzeIt that allows me to 'check' my page before building it so that I'm sure I've got the right amount of keyword density. If it don't have it exactly right, it tells me where I need to fix it.

Since I've been building pages like this for a couple of years now, I can get it right automatically most of the time now, and the formula I just described is basically it.

Hope that helps some of you who are interested in getting your pages Search Engine Optimized without having to learn too much technical stuff. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie

17. enviropoker

enviropoker New Member

After reading all of that I still dont know exactly how to do SEO... I have made a site, I type it into google, and nothin!

18. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

KarlFabian: It involves choosing the most productive key words and phrases that will most benefit a web sites traffic by increasing search engine ratings.
    It is very true, you should take keyword research very carefully in order for your writings to rank well in search results.

19. lucyp

lucyp New Member

Search engine optimization or SEO today is an art. A professional SEO expert will optimize the website from scratch and equip it with the necessary tools that enable the website to stay one step ahead of the search engines.
    Your website will constantly feature on page one of the search results for terms that best describe your business. For example, if you are a florist based in California, then any web user who searches for florist, flowers, florist California will be able to see your website and chances are that he will reach you and give you good business. SEO Internet Marketing is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to reach out to potential customers. Compare the costs of an SEO campaign with online advertising, offline advertising and media services. You will come to know what I am talking about.
    There are several tactics than an SEO expert will use to get your website in the big league. It includes keyword phrases, articles, creating back links etc. The bottom line is that if you want to succeed on the internet, then SEO is a must.

20. hello28

hello28 New Member

not to mention having an exact match domain for particular keyword is another plus point.