What to do when you have a good idea ofr business.

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by onlineguy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. onlineguy

onlineguy New Member

I created this topic because I'm not really sure what to do in my situation. I have an idea for a business to be run mainly online. I know exactly what I want the website to do.

I have very good digital design skills but no website backend programming skills what-so-ever. How to I find a trustworthy programmer to help me? And also would it be viable for me to offer a percentage of my business if the idea works as it seem the alternative to not being able to pay a programmer.

The reason why i say that is because I do beleive my idea is very good after doing research on and offline, my market is there open for me in an untapped market idea.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated and my apologies for not revealing the actual idea as you can understand that at such an early stage I cannot mention it.

2. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

I understand not wanting to release your idea[​IMG] You could always post an ad on craigslist. Many people are getting into web site design and would love to freelance and perhaps use your site as a reference. My husband was doing that on the side at one time. He's a computer nerd..lol! But he was just in the freelance business. His full time job became busier so he stopped the side work. He was just getting ready to learn Flash when he stopped. I guess it also depends on what kind of web site idea you had. Somethings are more complex for the average designer. Good Luck!

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

onlineguy: And also would it be viable for me to offer a percentage of my business if the idea works as it seem the alternative to not being able to pay a programmer.

I hope you're joking. It's unlikely that anyone would spend their time coding for you without a decent chunk of cash up front. I know this from years of professional experience.

onlineguy: The reason why i say that is because I do beleive my idea is very good after doing research on and offline, my market is there open for me in an untapped market idea.

We all do.

You'll probably pay cash up front as part of the deal. Most programmers would be insulted if you asked them to risk their time in exchange for "potential" profit from the back end.

Offer cash up front as part of the deal.

~Newbie Shield~

4. molyda

molyda New Member

Do you have a business plan? That's always a start and it's mandatory for any business to have a plan! It shows that you have indeed done your market reasearch.

Also, like any other entrepreneur who believes in their product/service and wants to bring their idea to reality, they take the necessary steps to start-up their business: write up their business plan, register the business, protect intellectual property, find the financing resources possible and available for the project, etc.

What you can do is offer an internship. So programmers who would want to give some of their time in exchange of references. In such case, I suppose you can't ask or expect much from them though.

Or offer partnership with a programmer that you feel you can trust. In this case, they would most likely understand that they will get paid when sales start coming in.

If you want to use freelancers, they will ask for % upfront and the balance after the job is complete. They get the job done and expect to get paid for it, regardless of your success or failure!

Don't be discouraged! I hope you find a way to make it happen!

Molyda

5. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

molyda: you want to use freelancers, they will ask for % upfront and the balance after the job is complete. They get the job done and expect to get paid for it, regardless of your success or failure!

Yes, I agree.

Find someone who you can trust, and join venture with him to start earning money.

6. aplina

aplina New Member

you could look into site build it (sbi). they could offer your solution. l have been with them almost 2 year

7. nypbbob

nypbbob New Member

Newbie Shield: onlineguy:
    And also would it be viable for me to offer a percentage of my business if the idea works as it seem the alternative to not being able to pay a programmer.

I hope you're joking. It's unlikely that anyone would spend their time coding for you without a decent chunk of cash up front. I know this from years of professional experience.

onlineguy:
    The reason why i say that is because I do beleive my idea is very good after doing research on and offline, my market is there open for me in an untapped market idea.

We all do.

You'll probably pay cash up front as part of the deal. Most programmers would be insulted if you asked them to risk their time in exchange for "potential" profit from the back end.

Offer cash up front as part of the deal.

~Newbie Shield~

I so agree. I ran a business incubator and helped raise private and venture capital for 14 years. Not only will you get shotty service, but you'll get what you pay for. Never lose control of a deal or a contractor. Pay the contractor. And if you were to ask an investor to invest in your company without a technology, or even intellectual property, you've got a long road ahead. Feel free to email me so I can pick your brain a bit, and better yet let you know if its been done or out there. You also may opt to get your designs done oversea's such as India. Check out Guru dot com to see if you can finad anybody, or better yet, get an idea of what your idea will cost. My design guys and partners (sandmanstudios dot com)
    would cost to much but I do have some people that could help.

Good luck and never let somebody tell you cant do something. But always listen to experience and "reason" before you build a business and go broke doing so. [​IMG]