What tool do you use to check your backlinks?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by garygoh, May 6, 2009.

1. garygoh New Member

I have more than 100s articles which I submitted to ezinearticles.com pointing back to one of my site.

Normally I use yahoo's site explorer to check my site's back-links. Just wondering why is it that it never shows all the links?

Thanks for your answer.
  2. jay284 New Member

gary,

First...
    Sometimes, it takes a while for your link building efforts to show up in the search engines.

Now, to answer your question...
    I personally use the SEO Quake or SEO For Firefox plugins. Of course, you will need to use the Firefox web browser for these tools though.
  3. garygoh New Member

Thanks jay284 for your quick response.

jay284: Sometimes, it takes a while for your link building efforts to show up in the search engines.
    Is it likely that some links will never be counted? Just wondering because I have built more than 200 links (including submission to website directories)
  4. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Gary,

Not all links get indexed by a given search engine or directory.

SiteExplorer is only for YAHOO. At the very least you'll also want to know if your links are indexed by Google and perhaps even by Microsoft or niche-specific directories.

Go to Google and type in "backlink checker". You'll find a bunch of free sites that will list backlinks to your site. Results will vary widely and not all of the tools work well.

I'm sure you'll find one or more that you find to be useful.

~Newbie Shield~
    Juanita likes this.
  5. VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I use Market Samurai, as well as the SEO plug in for a quick check.

Have a great weekend!
    Victoria[IMG]
  6. samda Member

Google > link:yourwebsite.com (Will only list handful of links)
    Yahoo Site Explorer > link:yourwebsite.com (Will list all sort of links)

Sam
  7. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Sam is right, you can do it manually by typing in the link command in a search engine or directory.

You can also use the site command like so: site:www.mysite.com or site:mysite.com to see which and how many of your pages are indexed on a given engine.

~Newbie Shield~
  8. elle14 New Member

Newbie Shield: Sam is right, you can do it manually by typing in the link command in a search engine or directory.
    Yeah I'm also checking manually.. Or Try to download Quick Search status in addons. This tools will also help you to show those indexes pages in all SE's
  9. aaramire New Member

I use Market Samurai and yahoo link code thing. They both show different results. I think it's because not all search engines index the same links.

And market samurai mainly focuses on google in that area at least ( at least i believe)
  10. Lee768 New Member

Would have to agree. Seoquake for either Internet Explorer or Firefox is a great plug-in for checking on your backlinks.
  11. Andy3568 New Member

I have always checked manually. I will have to check out the plugins, though. They sound like great tools.
  12. Jean LA New Member

Yahoo site explorer is also based on their indexing capabilities. Yahoo doesn't index sites very quickly like google so most of the backlinks are not yet shown until the next update.
  13. gowriter Member

samueldarwin: Google > link:yourwebsite.com (Will only list handful of links)
    Yahoo Site Explorer > link:yourwebsite.com (Will list all sort of links)
    Yes. Yahoo Site Explorer is a good option. Free. Shows all the inlinks to your site. Google only reveals so much.
  14. rohnsmith Guest

Hi buddy I use backlinkwatch.com .It is really nice .It will give all information like no. of backlinks,anchor text ,no. of outbound links ,no. of inbound links,and page rank
  15. sixfigureincome New Member

Well I personally use seo elite which is just an awesome software which not only tells you how many backlinks you have but also will tell you on what page that link is, it's pagerank and a lots of other useful seo stuff.
  16. bbxe99 New Member

checking backlinks is too tough I think because search engines crawl keywords and img alt.
    So if you have not used same keywords or same img alt code to all of your posts, you can not find backlinks.
    But search engines think spam using same keywords pointing to one site
  17. aaramire New Member

Oops market samurai shows links indexed by yahoo

For google I just log in to my webmaster account but from what I hear, google doesn't list all the backlinks there
  18. freedomme New Member

Market Samurai is I think the best one to show the backlinks. I save time on going to various places and checking that manually.
  19. diansunarko New Member

I use backlinkwatch.com to check backlinks it gives pretty much information like anchor text in link,No. of links on that page ,page rank of website ,no. of out bound links,the links are do follow or no follow etc
  20. newbiz02 New Member

Yeah, that market samurai is awsome [IMG]