Where do I go for support if my Director is a flake?

Discussion in 'Coastal Vacations' started by griffiths, Apr 21, 2007.

1. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Hi Judy,

True success with Coastal is found in the right coach to assist you in making sales. Some Coastal Level 3 Directors have gotten so busy that they no longer have time for you. This is typically done by not taking your direct calls and by requiring you to ask your questions in teleconference rooms.

Coastal has become a place where the ad copy will schmooze you into thinking you can simply write a check and Boom...the skies open you your mailbox is full of money......and hey, Coastal's not the only one doing this. There are other programs who have piggy backed on Coastal's success and are making BIG CLAIMS.

If your director is NOT teaching you how to be successful, FIND ANOTHER DIRECTOR WHO HAS EXPERIENCE.....there are a TON of newbie directors who'll have you believe they can help you - Yet, have still not had their first 5 figure day.

Here's a BIG indicator....if they are NOT Level 3, they do not have the knowledge required to assist you.

Jay NaPier
    Level 3 Director/ Master Trainer
    Coastal Vacations
  2. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

Here we go again. Jay, that is totally false and you know it. You come in here just to stir the pot with posts like that and I think it is totally irresponsible for you to say a comment like "if they aren't a level 3 director that they don't have the knowledge to help their personal members. I guess you don't allow people to signup at any other level then level 3 since they would be any help to people that signup under them, right? PLEASE do us a favor and take your level 3 attitude somewhere else because arrogance like that isn't welcome here.

Vishal, I apologize for the outburst but this is rediculous for Jay to say this.
  3. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: hsimpsonjr I guess you don't allow people to signup at any other level then level 3 since they would be any help to people that signup under them, right?

There should always be a well qualified, six figure income earning, Level 3 Director available to you....if you don't have that behind you...and your NOT seeing the success you feel you have earned, perhaps you should be seeking out the expert you require.

Jay NaPier
    Coastal Vacations
  4. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

Quoting: jnapierThere should always be a well qualified, six figure income earning, Level 3 Director available to you....if you don't have that behind you...and your NOT seeing the success you feel you have earned, perhaps you should be seeking out the expert you require.

Jay,
    I will agree that somewhere in your upline there should be an experienced Level 3. That should just be the case because of simple mathmatical rules but when you say:

Quoting: jnapierHere's a BIG indicator....if they are NOT Level 3, they do not have the knowledge required to assist you.

you are saying something that is not true. There are many level 2 directors who are very good at what they do and can offer great leadership with our without their director. Your words could cause some members on this forum to lose sales. That is NOT what this forum is about. All of us like our teams and think we have the best system and all of us should just keep to pointing out the good things about our systems without tearing everyone elses down or making statements like you did above that will lead a new prospect not to join a hardworking level 2 director who is trying to make their qualifying sales a reality.
  5. Shelby

Shelby New Member

so Jay--because I could not afford to join at Level 3, I do not have the knowldge required to assist anyone?? Thanks for pointing that out as I am trying to get qualified at level 2 . You have been a big help! I learned alot from this forum before I joined and let my leads know about it as well. Guess I need to change that stategy. Why do you feel the need to put level 1 and level 2 down? I just don't get it.

Shelby
  6. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: hsimpsonjryou are saying something that is not true. There are many level 2 directors who are very good at what they do and can offer great leadership with our without their director. Your words could cause some members on this forum to lose sales. That is NOT what this forum is about. All of us like our teams and think we have the best system and all of us should just keep to pointing out the good things about our systems without tearing everyone elses down or making statements like you did above that will lead a new prospect not to join a hardworking level 2 director who is trying to make their qualifying sales a reality.

Here's the thing. There are WAY TOO MANY people who are joining with a coastal rep who have NEVER even sold 3 memberships. I'm getting a TON of calls from people who are just not being trained.

Worse yet, when they need a L3 director to assist in making a sale...they don't have anyone who is Hands On to assist in this.

My best month was $85K. I keep my phone line open to my team so they can get me when they require my assistance. Most L3 directors either quit or they forget where they came from.

Jay NaPier
  7. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: ShelbyWhy do you feel the need to put level 1 and level 2 down? I just don't get it.

Shelby, let me ask you a question. Has your upline director ever sold more than 30 memberships in a month?? Have they earned over $50K in a month? Are they in good standards with the Board of Directors.....this question is a Very Important question.

It's not about putting anyone down.....but lets face it. It is said your in business FOR YOURSELF, but not by yourself....Do you have a L3 Director who is helping you get your L2 release? Or, have they left you out to pasture and if you qualify....Great!

Jay NaPier
    Coastal Vacations
  8. Shelby

Shelby New Member

Jay--I will PM you--this is not the place for personal issues.

Shelby
  9. matiasmommy

matiasmommy New Member

Quoting: Judy am just starting to navigate my way around the internet and surely don't have the knowledge someone like Maria or Jan or Jeff has (hopefully someday). I want people to pick me to be their upline but why would they when there are old pros who offer so much support out there?
    The director who signed me up is supportive but unfortunately she is not able to travel and so has no experience with that aspect. She is also working many different online businesses so her focus is not on Coastal (though she has done well with them).

I can only afford to work on Coastal and only part-time at this point.

Any advice on how it was when you started and how ling it took you to feel like an expert (or at least a professional?)

Judy:

Well, I've been in business for 10 months.. so I'm not at all what you might call an "old pro". I simply followed my directors lead, and then learned- don't be hard on yourself for being new. Its your intention to learn, grow and be the best YOU can BE that counts! There is NO COMPETITION for you- you are a unique and special person.

Learn everything you can- the best advice I can give you is that you decide what makes you unique, write down what it is that you bring to the table, and what you CAN and WILL contribute. Decide who it is that you want in your business- and keep in mind that you are ALREADY more of an expert then they are- because you are IN the business! Focus on the present, focus on TODAY- and be the best you can, learn what you can- expand what you know and who you ARE in the present. That, is putting your best foot forward and being professional. We all have something special to bring to the table- and we all start somewhere. What you bring to the table- YOURSELF- is why people will want to pick YOU over a "big name" director- which I (to date) am most certainly NOT. I've got people seeking me out and joining my team- because of who I am, where I have come from, what I stand for, and what I live and teach by example. You will find, that when you decide who it is you are looking for, and WHY it is that you can lead them- they will find and seek YOU out too!

I think its absolutely WRONG to imply that one should join with a top producing director exclusively because they have risen to the very top of the industry. Where does that leave YOU once you have got your release- don't you then have to tell all your own prospects that to get the "edge" they have to go to your director because you don't yet have a huge income? Sure, that person can and SHOULD teach you a lot- but how much of that is really duplicable, and how long will it take you to get there too? Do you even WANT to get there, and be there? I know of many people that just have not gotten the support from people who make tons of sales- it just simply is NOT possible to train 30- or even 10 people a month- intensively and personally- and ALSO have time freedom. Bottom line, most people NEED intensive one on one training- especially at the start of their business. But- I agree 100% with Jay- many L3 directors seem to forget where it is they came from! We ALL start at ground zero at some point! You have to remember that, when you have gotten that experience under your belt- and really be able to put yourself in those "newbie" shoes and remember what is was LIKE when YOU were starting your business. Now that you have learned the skill, its simple and you can do it in your sleep. But it didn't happen instantly- you lived and you learned!

I would add to that- directors committed to excellence are continuing to learn, grow and change EVERY DAY- that is WHY they are at the top of their game. You must be willing and able to adapt, learn and share. This is a very fluid industry- and as in all things- if you are not growing you are dying! So GROW- don't be looking at "you" vs "them"- you are YOU, you are SPECIAL, and you have a value proposition that no one can match-for the right people that you connect with.

This forum is a great start, and a great place to be! Network, learn and seek out what you need to know to get where it is YOU want to be!

Most importantly- HAVE FUN!

Cheers

Jani Teeter
    L3 Director, CSG
  10. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Jani,

Where do you get business cards you mentioned BOD I am not familiar with that acronym.

Thanks,

Rhonda
  11. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Hi Rhonda,

BOD is Board of Directors. If you goto http://www.iprintcenter.com/coastal you'll find the business cards.

Jay NaPier
    Coastal Vacations
  12. BOD is the Board of Directors for Coastal
  13. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Thank you both.[​IMG]

Rhonda
  14. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

Every time I look at this topic I laugh. What if my director is a flake lol. Well the answer is simple. Take responsibitlity for yourself. If this was a traditional business would the person who sold it to you give you all the tips and hold your hand. No not at all. They would go enjoy the check you just gave them. So look at Coastal the same way. Learn the industry yourself. If you are in travel then know travel. Everyone says this isnt sales but hello yes it is. We sell either a product or a biz opt. That is it everyday. So learn the nuances of sales. Thats important. Thirdly learn about leadership. If you are going to grow a business then you have to be able to lead people. So learn about leadership. If you learn these 3 steps even if your director is a flake it wont matter. You will have the skills to run "YOUR OWN" business.

Adam
  15. griffiths

griffiths New Member

Adam,

I agree with your 3 steps:
    1. take responsibility for yourself
    2. learn the nuances of sales
    3. learn about leadership

However, the reason I started this topic was because I believe that their is no reason to try and reinvent the wheel. This is not a traditional business and it IS designed so that we can help each other succeed. I am not looking for someone to hold my hand and give me all of their tips and secrets. It is just a lot easier to learn ANYTHING with a little help and guidance. Let it be a foreign language, calculus, quantum physics or a new business opportunity! sure we can do it on our own but if we have access to great people who are willing to help (like the majority of people in this forum[​IMG]!!) It makes the journey a lot more enjoyable!

Your right, we all have to run "OUR OWN" business. Even if we do have a supportive and successful director it does not garauntee that we will be successful! I am just the type of person who likes to pay it forward. The more guidance and support I can get, the more I can give and help someone else!

Brandon
  16. Judy

Judy New Member

Jani,
    Thank you for the amazing post -I am almost in tears. I have written down some of what you said so I can reread it later. I am a great person with a huge heart (part of my problem sometimes).

I know I will succeed in this business and once I can get those first few sales I will feel so much more successful. I was afraid to tell my husband I had spent our money on this but after a month he found out anyways and was quite angry.
    Now he realizes that we need to make our money back and so he is getting behind me with it and will help me with marketing as he works in the computer industry.
    We are planning a trip to Florida in August and I sent away for the Carnival cruise and the Disney holiday early last week and still did not get anything today. The 60 day time limit is running close and we don't even know if they will accept the dates we need which we cannot change.
    I am just praying that we will have a good experience with the booking and the trip itself so we will have some great testimonials for our business. My husband would never go to a timeshare presentation and though they tell you they are not timeshares I have heard stories on the net that if you don't agree to one you can't get the dates you want.
    Do you as a seasoned Director have testimonials from your group regarding the "free" certificates? I really need to feel confident that the package is worth it so I can sell it confidently (not just the money making opportunity but the travel opportunity)

Oh and sorry for spelling you name wrong in my post Jani. I would feel lucky to have you for a director.
  17. Judy

Judy New Member

I have a question for directors out there. Do you help get your new teammembers their first two sales (seeing as they are yours, plus their first two sales).
    My director keeps telling me to advertise, advertise but I don't have hours everyday to spend on the business and since they are her two sales shouldn't she be helping me with my advertising?
    I found out that she has had 23 sign ups but only one got her director's release. Is this normal? A question I should have asked before I joined. Please let me know your thoughts.
    I do know that I will most definitely help my sign ups get released as it only makes for a happier team.
  18. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

Judy,
    this should be a lifelong relationship between you and your director. She should help you make your first two sales and then help you whenever you need it afterwards. Just because you get released doesn't mean you disappear.

Our business pretty much has the same success rate as any other business. 5% make it- 95% don't. It's a hard statistic to deal with but it's a fact and I don't mean just for homebased businesses. I mean for ALL businesses. We have to make up our minds from the beggining if we are going to be one of the 5% or the 95%. I choose the 5% so I am going to do what it takes to succeed. We all say we choose to be in the 5 group but the only way to see will be to look back to this thread in a year's time and see if we are still posting in this forum. As corny as it might sound to some people, you determine your success and as long as you don't give up, you will be a 5. Let's be a 5, Judy!
  19. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: griffiths I believe that their is no reason to try and reinvent the wheel.

Well said Brandon. I've had the pleasure of owning several businesses. When I bought the business from a previous owner there was always a training period after the sale to assist in the transition. You see...every pizza oven is not created equal, they change with age and there are important keys to making the best pizza....so, the previous owner would tell you that the 650 on the oven dial is actually 775...so, you've got to set the over lower.

As a top incomer earner with Coastal I can tell you that there's alot required to really stay upto date. Everything changes and what worked well 12 months ago for advertising isn't as strong as it was. I'm constantly making updates to my manual to provide the best of the best in training.

There ARE easy ways to run this business, but it's easy to see a sales pitch and fall for it. I'm VERY CAUTIONS about any sales pitch and I have alot of friends who are also in the mlm/ direct sales industry so I can call them when I have questions as well.

Here's a great example. About 16 months ago Gold Calling was the hottest thing going for Coastal. You paid $600 or $1500 and you could autodial your leads. I made a quick call and found that a friend of mine knew someone who was working the program and we got all the HOT Insider details before I bought the program....thankfully....I didn't waste my funds on it, BUT ALOT of Coastal people did.

I've coached over 700 Coastal Directors and have been in this industry for 13 years, 4 of them with Coastal. It is your own business, but you should never feel as if you couldn't call or email your director to ask questions and enjoy a positive relationship with your director.

Jay NaPier
    Coastal Vacations
  20. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: JudyDo you help get your new teammembers their first two sales

Yes! I provide leads and assist in the process to help my new team members make their first 2 sales. Generally, I want my new team members to get comfortable with their new business.

Jay NaPier
    Coastal Vacations