Who is using Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by Barb Thornback, Dec 8, 2010.

1. jbhabs

jbhabs New Member

Vishal, I agree but also beware of the spam comments... My news site is packed daily with them. I have had my share of problems with certain themes giving very vague instructions for tweaking them. It's like the programmer thinks - everybody understand his language of work. Get a theme which has detailed, clear and concise instructions on how to insert simple things or change simple stuff which will embellish your webpage.

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

jbhabs: Vishal, I agree but also beware of the spam comments... My news site is packed daily with them.
    I do hope you have Akismet installed. It does an extremely good job of preventing spam on my blogs. However, you have to occasionally check the spam queue as I have observed instances of some good comments being marked as spam. But it never had been other way around.

3. taz87

taz87 Member

Vishal,
    I have installed Akismet in my newly created wordpress blog. I am a wordpress novice but I am loving it big time so far!
    I don't know how to make the plugins like akismet work yet but I am stumbling and learning by trial and error right now.
    Taz

4. taz87

taz87 Member

Yea, I am playing with it right now...maybe i will even buy socrates later. Learning comes first.

Taz

5. Dragon

Dragon New Member

I use Wordpress for one of my sites and find it very good. I used Wordpress previously for another site which went blank for some reason and I lost a lot of information as I did not have an up to date backup so make sure you do backups.

There are lots of different plug ins and themes you can choose which is big bonus although as it is constantly evolving you can have problems when a plug-in no longer works with a newer version of Wordpress.

6. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Dragon: went blank for some reason
    That is usually caused by a bad plug in and does not lose your database.
    All you need to do is FTP into the site's plugin folder and delete the offender.
    If you don't now which plug in it is, just rename the plug in folder instead.
    Then your WP site should come back up and you can log in to fix the plug ins.
    Ironically, the last plug in to do that to me was WPBackUp!

7. simpleflair

simpleflair New Member

I used to blog on blogger.com platform but it was very limited with the customization. Ever since switching over to WP a year ago, I've been able to add numerous plug-ins and add more customization to the sites.

8. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Just2EZ: If you don't now which plug in it is, just rename the plug in folder instead.
    Oops, Know, not "now". Besides that I should elaborate on the fix.
    2 ways to go, both the process of elimination.
    You can just delete plugins one at a time till you can log in, or.
    Rename your "plugins" folder "pluginsbad" and create a new "plugins" folder.
    That will get your site up and running again but without any plugins active.
    Then move the old plugins to the new folder one at a time till it kills your site.
    Either way only takes few minutes with 2 dozen plugins.

OR, google "bad WP plugin" and sort by "most recent" to find out what broke lately.
    Sometimes there will be an answer just waiting for you at the top.

BTW> I use FileZilla for FTP, fast and free works for me

9. katereber

katereber New Member

Just2EZ: Oops, Know, not "now". Besides that I should elaborate on the fix.
    2 ways to go, both the process of elimination.
    You can just delete plugins one at a time till you can log in, or.
    Rename your "plugins" folder "pluginsbad" and create a new "plugins" folder.
    That will get your site up and running again but without any plugins active.
    Then move the old plugins to the new folder one at a time till it kills your site.
    Either way only takes few minutes with 2 dozen plugins.

OR, google "bad WP plugin" and sort by "most recent" to find out what broke lately.
    Sometimes there will be an answer just waiting for you at the top.

BTW> I use FileZilla for FTP, fast and free works for me

Great post, you really kind person.. You share your ideas and knowledge to other member.
    You rock, such a useful and helpful tips.

Good day! [​IMG]

10. PatriciaStewart

PatriciaStewart New Member

Use Wordpress too, it is easy to install with Fantatisco, SEO friendly , Rich Plug-ins and Design.

11. weblogger

weblogger New Member

I read somewhere more than 50% of blogs online are powered by wordpress.

Wordpress rocking the web 3.0 world...

12. homesjobsneeded

homesjobsneeded New Member

I use them not only for my sites but for clients sites. You can use them as a normal website as a CMS. It is a simple solution for those who want a dynamic site but don't want to spend 3-5k. It is a lot better than coding this stuff yourself like I had to in early 2000s. That is a nightmare. Unfortunately though companies like WordPress have made development so easy that is harder to do custom sites anymore for a good price.

But yes self-hosted Wordpress sites are the way to go. I recently used one for a state university that does all their testing and etc for a department of theirs. They are very happy and paid a lot less than the horrible wreck they had before.

JudyCurtis likes this.
  13. mreese601

mreese601 Member

I use wordpress I love it for the seo! easy to use and have plenty of plugin to choose from

14. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I use Wordpress, but I also use standalone websites based on templates. I like Wordpress because it is great for SEO, but sometimes, I don't like it so much because it is very complex. If there is a specific layout design that I want to use, I will use a website, since it will be easier for me to design. In the very near future, I plan to add a link to a Wordpress blog that is linked to my domain.

So, if my website address is:

mywebsiteaddress.com

I will soon be adding a Wordpress blog to that website, so that look like this:

mywebsiteaddress.com/blog

This will allow for an easy content management system that complements my website, while helping me in the search engines.

15. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

That is how mine started since WP wasn't even around back then and I installed it later to a sub-directory.
    I still create static HTML pages for the home page on many sites, plus sub-directories not in the blog.
    Rarely do I create a whole website from scratch anymore since I fell in love with WordPress.
    Learning to customize WP themes the way you want takes time but is a skill worth learning.
    I would recommend a directory name more descriptive than "/blog", such as /MusicBlog.
    The title can make a difference in SEO results and the readers minds.

16. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

True. I may expand on the term blog a bit and use more targeted keywords, but we will see.

17. vinnyqua

vinnyqua New Member

I am also using Wordpress through a system that is already SEO optimized for any search engine sites. All done for you automatically. Just blog a day to keep that debt away.. :)

Stephanie M likes this.
  18. I use Wordpress and really like how user friendly it is. I want to spend more time marketing and not trying to figure out all the technical aspects and code to putting my website together. Wordpress allows me to do this. I really like all the theme choices as well. I would be very careful on choosing free themes though. Also, always make sure your Wordpress site it updated. If you are looking for a theme that makes squeeze and sales pages really easily then you should check out Optimize Press. Hope this helps! :)

19. I'm using Worpress. What I like about it is that it has a lot of themes available that are SEO friendly, easy to manage, and most of all there are lots of plug-ins available the will make your work easier.

20. shutterbugjen

shutterbugjen New Member

I am using wordpress and I love it. I use to use blogger but about 2 years ago I changed my business website over to wordpress and also have a wordpress blog as well. I like that there are so many options for templates as well as tools out there to make it everything I want it to be. And if I ever have a problem or a question there are millions of tutorials out there on the wordpress site as well as anywhere else like google or youtube.