Why do internet newbies fail 95% of the time?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by twnuck, Dec 30, 2009.

1. twnuck

twnuck New Member

Hello all,

In my experience working with internet newbies I find that they fail because of the following:

1. Their goals are not realistic - they want to hit the internet "lotto" immediately

2. Their funds are too low - if they don't make money on day one the pressure mounts and they quit.

3. They don't spend time learning - they just dump money into the latest "opportunity" and never learn what their role is.

4. They don't ACT - just like #3, they pay their first month's fee and then sit and wait for the riches to roll in only to get frustrated quickly when they don't.

5. They quit too early - they forget that this is a business and all businesses take time to develop. Heck, offline businesses may take a year or more to see a profit!

These are just a few of the reasons I see many of my students giving up; I'm sure there are others.

What do you folks think is the cause of so much failure with online businesses?

Happy New Year![​IMG]

Todd

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

twnuck: What do you folks think is the cause of so much failure with online businesses?
    Lack of understanding what it is all about.

I believe that you have to have a "business" mindset when you look at internet marketing ... and the fact of the matter is that 99% of folks looking to make money online are looking for a job.

There is nothing wrong with that mentality - it just saddens me to see so many think that they can make a quick buck online and then they get disillusioned and for some, lose the little money they have on stuff that promises them a great fortune.

I am so thankful for the folks on here because I know that if someone is serious about making money on the internet - they can get some answers if they browse these threads long enough....[​IMG]

And no, there is no silver bullet to success!

We all earn it by the sweat of our chinny chin chin.[​IMG]

3. yasser

yasser New Member

persistence is the most important to succeed in internet marketing.

4. residualcash

residualcash New Member

Yes, the instant gratification is a killer of most opportunity for success to make money from home.

One must understand that the list building off comes before the sale often times.

5. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I feel believing in your success plays a major role in this also.

"I will see it when I believe it"

It is a very challenging thing to have the algorithms change and have to restructure your entire strategy.

So, perseverance and a day off once in a while are so important.

Victoria

6. pcwork

pcwork New Member

It takes some time to start earning money , and many people are not willing to work hard and / or make enough effort.

7. tandre

tandre New Member

Hi,

I liked your post. I definately get discouraged at my lack of success but keep plugging away. I know I just need to fit in mnore articles, blog posts and Squidoo lenses to succeed so I will keep on doing it.

Thank you for your encouragement. You mentioned students? DO you do coaching?

Todd

8. Here2Learn

Here2Learn New Member

While attending college for business, we were told that one of the largest if not the largest barrier between those who graduate and those who don't is motivation. That is why school's try to provide a better experience and environment in the student's first year in order to prevent losing students. The same I believe can be said in business. Many newbies are very interested in wanting to make money. I am a newbie myself and would love to make money but I am trying to find programs, which are not scams (there are many) to learn from so that way I can apply those skill sets to succeed. I believe many newbies give up right away once they see that it does take hard work, and is not as easy as they originally thought, therefore, they just quick due to lack of motivation.

9. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

In my opinion, the single reason for the high newbie failure rate could be summed up in one word... MINDSET. Just take a closer look and you'll recognize that "mindset" really sets the stage for everything else that follows.

The right mindset will help you:

- approach the venture as a business and not a hobby
    - adopt realistic expectations for the outcome
    - understand that you will not make a fortune overnight
    - realize there will be a lot to learn
    - accept that it may not be a walk in the park
    - develop the motivation to keep going when the going gets tough
    - the process will not be without disappointment and frustration
    - and so on...

The comments highlighted below can all be traced to mindset in some way:

twnuck: Their goals are not realistic - they want to hit the internet "lotto" immediately
    mountainmom5: I believe that you have to have a "business" mindset when you look at internet marketing ... and the fact of the matter is that 99% of folks looking to make money online are looking for a job.
    yasser: persistence is the most important to succeed in internet marketing.
    residualcash: Yes, the instant gratification is a killer of most opportunity for success to make money from home.
    VictoriaNTC: I feel believing in your success plays a major role in this also.
    twnuck: They quit too early - they forget that this is a business and all businesses take time to develop.
    pcwork: It takes some time to start earning money , and many people are not willing to work hard and / or make enough effort.
    Here2Learn: I believe many newbies give up right away once they see that it does take hard work, and is not as easy as they originally thought, therefore, they just quit due to lack of motivation.

Great thread!

Hermas

10. ImportEyedea

ImportEyedea New Member

I have to agree- Mindset is the most important.

before I was actually introduced to Network and Affiliate Marketing, I have to say I was "groomed" for the experience.

While I'd been writing keyword articles for my boyfriend for about 7 months, I didn't really quite understand the concept behind the business. We actually were introduced because he needed a Copy Writer. Since I could write the articles well enough without knowing the finer workings of the business, Keith never once pitched me for about the first year we were together!

What he did do when I asked questions, or showed more interest in learning was point me in the direction of books! Kiyosaki, Hill, Trump, audio cassettes of A.L. Williams and Low Profile Selling!

By understanding the mentalities of those who found thriving and successful business, you learn what's expected of you. I firmly believe that we are bred to be employees not employers (in terms of school education) and despite my traditional schooling I was grateful for the lesson in what I lacked.

Most of us become employees between the ages of 16 and 20 (some younger! some older!) For the most part we stay that way until we're in our 60's (or later for some). We live, work and socialize with other employees. (For the most part). So living on the opposite side of the spectrum- employer/business owner can feel like the other side of the moon.

Unless you prepare yourself mentally first.

For me, honestly, I'm not sure if it would have worked had the ground not been laid by the extra education I received. Unfortunately for most people, running a business without it, is the equivalent of letting the toddlers run the daycare.[​IMG]

11. Kanga

Kanga New Member

Hi,

This is just my humble opinion about the matter discuss here:
    No one is born grown up, no seed sawn rip inmediately, which simply means if someone expect to hit the jackpot the first day; truly he had not received the correct education from the start and at the same he/she had not taken the time to observe and learn from his sorroundings. Everything begins with the right education and so is success in any endeavours. Yes, The mindset is the key, but he has to be formely acquired or acquired while truly willing to learn. And then apply and let nurture to produce the desired Result.The desire to Succeed can trigger that ability and if one is in certain places and the teaching is rightly focused, it help the seeker to grow consciously and unconsciously. Such places and knowledge exist; one only has to search for it or reach the port because he was seeking.
    Cheers;

12. Rando

Rando Guest

Yes, the mindset, desire, dedication, persistency, consistancy and being able to enjoy what you do is very important. The truth is that the vast majority of people will always fail and if you do not want to be one of them, then you better work very hard and do not take no for an answer. [​IMG]

13. garygoh

garygoh New Member

Lack of relentless focus action.

14. VmTech

VmTech New Member

All points are good specially point number 5.

5. "They quit too early - they forget that this is a business and all businesses take time to develop. Heck, offline businesses may take a year or more to see a profit!"

Thanks for sharing

15. dahan

dahan New Member

The points I found here are newbies should:

- Targeting a realistic goal.
    - Able to learn new things and spend time on it.
    - Do and take action. Don't just waiting.
    - Be persistent.
    - Setting the right mindset.

16. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Those seeking instant gratification rarely get long term satisfaction. I am still plugging away, May will make a year for me. Still learning, learning learning.

17. timbonderud

timbonderud New Member

twnuck
    I believe that the failure of most online business when it comes to being a newbie, is definately having to high of expectations, you here about people earning multiple 5 figures in the first month, then you expect that you should when you first start, but for the majority of newbies it is going to take longer, you just have to have patience.

18. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

May I add this?

In the beginning, there is so much noise out there.

My first experience well, after eBay was Adwords.

I soon found I needed to learn to build a landing page, a highly optimized website..for that particular phrase.

Then to learn to write content

this list went on and on...

New tools and upgrades were coming at me so fast..

It was overwhelming!

If only I had known about Squidoo
    or WA
    or The Thirty Day Challenge...

Any solid program will take months off the process.

Some have had great success with SBI.

Find a program, and great research and marketing tool like Market Samurai and master those.

I ignore every other launch.

This helps with focus and greatly reduces too much coming at you at one time.

Most importantly, have fun with this learning process.[​IMG]

Victoria

19. shaun

shaun New Member

Why do internet newbies fail 95% of the time?

I have written this elsewhere but its relevant here too:

Why do people pay a gym membership for 12 months...go for 2 months then give up ?

Seemed like a good idea at the time, thats why. Same for joining a business. I would suggest that 95% dont fail....they just dont DO the busines or they give up.

Regards
    Your Friend On The "Inside"
    Shaun

20. DaveBeck

DaveBeck New Member

I think most new people to the industry do not understand what they are getting into and think that they can treat their business like a hobby.

Most new people don't understand that marketing is their real business and think that putting some money into a business opportunity that promises all this stuff is the winning lotto ticket.

They do not take the time to work the business and try to personally develop themselves to be able to build relationships with others or develop themselves to build up their own value and knowledge in the crucial areas that will drive themselves and their businesses to success.

The best thing for most new people to do is find a mentor that has been where you are and where you want to go.

To Your Success,

Dave