Why do so people still think Network Marketing is a scam?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Sam Britton, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Brian Rooney

Brian Rooney New Member

Time spent trying to convince people would be better spent talking to people who are open. A closed mind stays closed until the individual opens it themselves. Keep building your business and share your results along the way. Perhaps that closed minded person will finally catch on. THEN you can talk with them.

ScottCofer and payment proof like this.
  2. ScottCofer

ScottCofer Member

In the spirit of taking full responsibility, I personally think that we often bring the negativity upon ourselves ...

Many people are not so much "put off" by network marketing ... they are "put off" by network marketers. We get so excited about our opportunity that we go out into the world, firehose everyone with our information, and cannot understand why the majority of people are not interested.

What if instead we connected with people, took the time to understand what their needs might be, then offered our products and opportunity as a solution to their problem(s)? Do you think the response might be different?

I can tell you from personal experience that the difference in reception (and results) are dramatic ...

3. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Interesting,

MLM has been around for over 60 years, and during this long period there has been more failures than successes, so obviously the ones who failed like to blame others, so what do they do, they blame the company for God forgive if they look in the mirror and see a failure. It is human nature to want to blame anything but themselves, so this negative reputation perpetuates on and on. Good old word of mouth can work both ways, positive and negative, but we all know negative always wins out over positive when it comes to MLM.

Having been in the industry for decades, I have seen it all, and what I find most interesting is the people who have not been exposed to MLM do the best as newbies. Younger generation is clueless about MLM history, so they too will often do better than those who have heard the negative stories, so they will usually never look beyond their first negative review or first rejection from a friend or family member. I have analyzed this to death over the years, and the simple answer when you meet with a negative comment, simply ask them why they feel that way about industry, and few will give you a solid answer other than they heard it was a scam. Sad, but true, so many people are just too lazy to study the industry and look at the millions who have succeeded in their own home based businesses. Just point to Avon, Tupperware, Watkin's, etc., the ones which have been around forever. Heck, even mention Avon the grandaddy of them all and they are still going strong. You will find most are merely rejecting MLM because no one bothered to spend the time educating them.

Success to all,

4. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe Member

What do all three of those companies mentioned above have in common?

They all lead with their products! The Avon lady will hand all of her friends a product catalog. The Watkins' rep will do "in-home" parties, and the same goes for Tupperware. All three companies all looking to sell products.

That's why they have been around for such a long time. They are all product driven, or "customer centric" companies. Very rarely do the reps prospect for new reps. The majority of the time, they lead with the products, and signing up other reps is a by-product of the users (customers) of the product(s).

When a company is focused on selling their products and the customer's needs, it will result on longevity. However, when a company is focused only on adding reps, they usually don't last too long, and I believe it's those companies that give the industry a bad name. Focusing on customer acquisition, for the most part, will keep the FTC of your back. As I've said all along, it's the customers, not the reps, that build a large network marketing business.

DigiExpress73, Just2EZ and YAGOOFT like this.
  5. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Exactly, if you want a good long term business, focus on products or services first and foremost, not the opportunity. Those who pump the income hype will learn the hard way, without a product or service of value which everyone needs and uses you will soon be out of business. Name one company in the long term category which hyped the income first strategy, having tracked hundreds over the years, I can't think of a single money hyped business which lasted for more than a couple years, if that. Live and learn newbies, if you hear about the opportunity first, run, don't walk away if you are looking for a long term home business opportunity.

Success to all,

DigiExpress73 likes this.
  6. DigiExpress73

DigiExpress73 New Member

Something about MLM! It has a bad mystic in the Networking Marketing World. My take! They focus more on recruiting than the products or services. Knothing wrong using a corporate business model to leverage others. It dislike all the scheme tactics
    they be using to get prospect.

YAGOOFT likes this.
  7. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Agreed,

All too often it is all about the money, and the product is usually of little or no value, and this is why the focus in promoting a company is on the income opportunity first, product second if as all. lol And this is the primary reason MLM has gotten a bad rap over the years. An interesting point is that the younger generation has no clue about MLM industry, but the old salts in business are mostly against it and have a tainted point of view on MLM. So focus on younger prospects is the best advice for most involved in MLM industry.

Success to all,

DigiExpress73 likes this.
  8. Author J Oman

Author J Oman New Member

Hi guys! :)
    If you're open to input on this, here's something that may be worth considering...
    I've had some pretty amazing success with a few different home businesses...
    Before I got on TV with some millionaires, followed by doing my 'Conversations with Millionaires' books (which many people know me best for), I was in some Biz Op type businesses...
    So, I've had quite a bit of experience with various kinds of opportunities, and what came to mind as I read this is to maybe start with something like this... "Do you think it's possible for some people to make money working right from home?"
    That should at LEAST get an eye browse raise if they're someone interested in the possibility.
    (IE: Why not see if the person you're talking to is even OPEN to the possibility that there ARE ways to be successful working from home, right?)...
    And, it could lead the conversation into what you have for them to consider if they're open to hearing about it.
    That's just an idea that came to mind. But, DEFINITELY worth doing some testing/experimenting if you're talking to either people you've just met (maybe even as a semi-conversation starter?), or even people you already know...
    Point being, the 'door opener' to the conversation can do INCREDIBLE things if the right question/topic is brought up.
    Anyway, success working from home CAN happen when winning actions are done consistently! I've been around a LOT of incredibly successful people in the work from home world.
    So, I hope that's helpful for you, superstar!

Jason Oman
    [Links go in the signature - Admin]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
    payment proof and Just2EZ like this.