Why Don't You Like MLM?

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by Matt Zenittini, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I know similar threads have been made.. I just want to hear from people in other types of businesses, and the reasons you don't like MLM.

In today's age I really feel MLM has come a long way from what it once was. It's like affiliate marketing with residual income in my mind.

When I look at MLM sometimes I just go crazy wondering why everyone doesn't "see" it and want it!.

Anyway WHY don't YOU like MLM?
  2. yahia

yahia Member

- Because of the unrealistic representation of all of the MLMs I've dealt with.
    - Because most of the companies don't try to develop their systems/products to keep up with the market needs/competition
    - Because of the overpriced products in spite of the companies efforts to hypnotize the members into believing they are not
    - Because of forcing the members to buy more than what they need regardless of their usual consumption rate
    - Because of the stupid, unethical practices of some reps who soiled the name of the whole industry
    - Because of the numerous scams, pyramids, and ponzy schemes disguised as MLMs, again soiling the whole industry's reputation
    - Because of the MLM companies practices in terms of forcing unwanted products to qualify for whatever

Those are some from the top of my head. If I remember more reasons I'll come back for sure.[​IMG]
  3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Matt Zenittini: Anyway WHY don't YOU like MLM?
    The reason I got out of it wasn't that it didn't work.... I KNOW it works. My main reason was I didn't want to be working with people.

I know, that sounds selfish, but I got burned out with trying to help my downline accomplish things they weren't willing to work for.

I realize now, looking back, that it was partially because of all the hype that they got INTO the business but they had no idea WHAT it all took to be successful - so if I do it again, and I am not saying I never will - I will look very carefully for a few KEY things to be in place.

1) low investment start up
    2) low monthly cost
    3) SUCCESSFUL training system in place to plug new people into
    4) NO hotel meetings or parties
    5) Good Internet Marketing training
    6) Free websites to use for promotion

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. yahia

yahia Member

Thanks Viola, I remembered two more:

- The fact that I have to train all of my downline myself if I want them to do it, and most of the time I find myself doing their work
    - The hidden charges. You are not told in advance you'll need to pay for the website (sometimes 20 times more than it would cost else where), advertising, buying leads, cold calling (long distance), renting meeting space ... etc.
  5. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

yahia, that sounds more like you just were a network marketing person.

You can find those same types of thing in any business of corporate america

Network marketing has long established itself as the premier opportunity for a person to give themselves financial options in life.

And now with the internet you have companies that can do virtual product/services distribution and put more money into the compensation plans so people can truly have an opportunity to make some nice cashflow and succeed in their networking home business.

Network marketing/mlm just makes senses as part of a home business success plan, in my view. Establish a network where you income is inter-dependent and not independent on just oneself as you grow is wisdom in my book.
  6. yahia

yahia Member

FreeCashMan

Don't get me wrong, I have another thread about taking MLM as a lifestyle (kind of a commerce-fiction I might say).

I also have a system for generating leads for MLM that I am selling for a very low price, just to help other MLMers get it rolling.

And yes, I did MLM then I changed my path as I found myself able to make hundreds of times more in another business model than I could potentially do with MLM.

My understanding is that Mat started this thread as a research method to get to what people don't like about MLM so that he either avoids it or get prepared to answer it while approaching prospects. So I've put all what I didn't like while doing MLM to help out.

Now I remembered one more thing I don't like about MLM:
    - The fact that I am stuck with a company, when it goes up I go with it, and when it goes down I sink with it. Why don't I just have a job?
  7. FreeCashMan

yahia: Now I remembered one more thing I don't like about MLM:
    - The fact that I am stuck with a company, when it goes up I go with it, and when it goes down I sink with it. Why don't I just have a job?
    Yes, that's part of the reason why I'm with the Trifecta Cashflow System, not leaving my hopes and dreams in network marketing home business to one business.

It would be no different than having a job and depending completely on that to sustain me.

There is plenty of reason to not do mlm with a lot of the companies out there and they mainly deal with the fact that most of these companies don't have a comp plan that is designed to get people to significant income on a monthly residual basis in a short period of time. The may get you all types of one time bonus income if you are big recruiter, or already have a network converting over, but most are not big recruiters, and those they don't make much bonus income, to offset the drip-drop monthly residual that the comp-plan pays out.

However, the internet has in so many ways change the way and potential for people to succeed in network marketing like they never could have in the past.
  8. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

FreeCashMan: However, the internet has in so many ways change the way and potential for people to succeed in network marketing like they never could have in the past.
    And if the mlm company has GOOD TRAINING to help their new sign ups with IM, then I am all fo rit, but so many don't.

I had actually started offering training for IM when I was still doing network marketing but then I quit as I just didn't have time to mentor people for free. lol

I really like the Success in 10 Steps mentoring program as it is free. You can google it for some really great training stuff . I used to generate a bunch of my own leads with that.
  9. Matt Zenittini

mountainmom5: 1) low investment start up
    2) low monthly cost
    3) SUCCESSFUL training system in place to plug new people into
    4) NO hotel meetings or parties
    5) Good Internet Marketing training
    6) Free websites to use for promotion
    Thanks M5 That was really helpful!

Yahia yours was helpful too, but my company doesn't have problems with any of the objections you noted =].

yahia: - The fact that I am stuck with a company, when it goes up I go with it, and when it goes down I sink with it. Why don't I just have a job?
    Sort of.. If my primary company went up.. My downline would follow me.. At least most of them =].

mountainmom5: I really like the Success in 10 Steps mentoring program as it is free. You can google it for some really great training stuff . I used to generate a bunch of my own leads with that.
    I'll check that out.

Matt
  10. FreeCashMan

Mmom is that the mentoring for free?

If so I hear the training is nice, about attraction marketing, but the guy has his own agenda to recruit people to his biz oppty, and charges a monthly fee to market the mentoring for free.
  11. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

FreeCashMan: If so I hear the training is nice, about attraction marketing, but the guy has his own agenda to recruit people to his biz oppty, and charges a monthly fee to market the mentoring for free.
    You got it right - the training is free but if you wat to use it to generate your own leads, then you have to pay like $19 a month or something like that.

And you are also right about the guy having an agenda. That is what I didn't like about it and I was even IN his business opportunity.

But they had really good free training on how to use the internet to market whatever business you want to so I promoted it for that.... [​IMG]
  12. FreeCashMan

Yeah, this guy is promoting Vitamark.

And while the "mentoring for free" sounds nice, it's a strategic strategy to get a ton of people in other businesses to bring him traffic and with the "sleight of the hand" build his Vitamark biz. Not to mention the $20 for the MFF.

Everyone's got an agenda, as they should have, it's the slick hidden agenda of individuals that destroy a good thing.

Financial Freedom, Ain't Free!
  13. Matt Zenittini

FreeCashMan: Yeah, this guy is promoting Vitamark.

And while the "mentoring for free" sounds nice, it's a strategic strategy to get a ton of people in other businesses to bring him traffic and with the "sleight of the hand" build his Vitamark biz. Not to mention the $20 for the MFF.

Everyone's got an agenda, as they should have, it's the slick hidden agenda of individuals that destroy a good thing.

Financial Freedom, Ain't Free!

Oh wow =0 Sneaky

I just read the free book =].

It wasn't for me.
  14. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

It's been so long ago that I can't find the link for all the IM training stuff but if I find it I'll post it here...
  15. EMiller

EMiller New Member

I've seen my dad go through at least 15 MLMs over the past 35 years. He was never able to get the retail sales base he or his downline needed to be successful. This Kangen Water business has been totally different as the product sells itself. People try the water for free and then buy after they get wonderful results. The compensation plan can be very lucrative if you build a team.
  16. FreeCashMan

Most people that are failing at network marketing, that work hard and dedicate themselves, are just the victims of comp plans that actually work against a person have a smooth path to 4-5 figures monthly.

MLM is awesome, but most don't understand how to evaluate comp plans to determine PROBABILITY for profit. Too many get all caught up in what's possible with a comp plan and not what is actually likely to occur, and then they get into thinking a "magic" product is the solution. But products in and of themselves don't make you money. Ask any big networker what make him money, and he can't tell you it's the product, without lying, it's his team.

Having a winning comp plan system that works for the average ordinary person to have a genuine opportunity to succeed and establishing a substantive monthly residual income in a short period of time will, in due course, run circles around anything else that is contrary.

Thus many of us have passed through a many of mlm's to get to success because it can take that to learn what to really look for to be able to be successful in the industry at a great level.

Home business is about making money, nothing more, nothing less, unless you are running a charity operation.
  17. mtran2000

mtran2000 New Member

Great topic Matt and interesting responses. I will add my 2 cents worth when I have more time.

Mark
  18. Matt Zenittini

mtran2000: Great topic Matt

Thanks Mark =].

mtran2000: I will add my 2 cents worth when I have more time.
    I'm interested to read your input!

Matt
  19. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

mtran2000: Great topic Matt and interesting responses.
    I agree - it almost makes me want to check out some mlms again. lol. Wait *shakes head vigorously* - what am I thinking. WHEN would I do that? [​IMG]

Ok - maybe when my kids are all done with sports. [​IMG]
  20. Matt Zenittini

mountainmom5: I agree - it almost makes me want to check out some mlms again. lol. Wait *shakes head vigorously* - what am I thinking. WHEN would I do that?
    Bahaha.

The residual income is just so happy =].

I still do affiliate marketing but it accompanies my MLM.

I don't really ever say much. But I will say I'm 20 years old with an organization of several hundred people and I am able to work full time from home.

Not bad for a high school dropout [​IMG].

MLM is really easy if people apply themselves and just do it =].

Matt