Working Efficiently at Home

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by marigoldg, Oct 25, 2009.

1. marigoldg

marigoldg New Member

Many people think that working at home is a walk in the park and that they can work for just a few hours and put in only a little (if any) effort. But, take it from someone who has been working as a freelancer for the past three years, it is not as easy as it sounds.

What I have found is that while I get the benefits of setting my own hours and making my own decisions about what work I will take and what I will turn down, I still have to put in the hours approach working at home like a job.

This means that when I am working, distractions have to be at a minimum. At first I set up my desk in the living room where I could watch TV and still work. Nope, didn't work at all. Now I have set hours and my own office in our house and when the door is closed, it means "unless you are dying or the house is one fire, enter at your own risk!"

This is what I do and what works for me. Any suggestions and tips from others out there?

2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

If you have a lap top, you can go to a cafe with internet access. Also, it helps to create a to do list about the things you need to get done, or just set aside a block of time for a couple of hours to get your work done - it can help to allow yourself to take a break every hour or so.

3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Yes, I learned that I'm not very productive when I have the TV on! [​IMG]

To do lists are great. I get in and out of the habit far too often. When I start falling too far behind schedule or correspondence piles up, I remember to get back to the "to do" list. I love checking things off the list.

I find I'm most productive in the quietest hours of late night. Unfortunately, that means I inevitably end up staying up too long and feeling tired the next day. [​IMG]

I really need to take your tips to heart and isolate myself in quietude and get more things done.

Thanks for the reminders,
    Angie

4. kasandrakline

kasandrakline New Member

I am a stay at home mom, that works from home with my three year old. Talk about distractions... [​IMG] But that was the whole reason for the at home business. I also have an 8 year old that is ready to go out the door at 7 a.m. for school. I start my work online around 4 a.m., stop at 6 a.m. to get him ready for school, by the time he leaves, it's time for my 3 year old to get up. She's a grumpy butt in the morning and takes her time waking up, so I have another hour before breakfast and getting dressed. My point is this... you have to stick to a schedule but still have a little flexibility. What's the point of working at home if you can't enjoy it? Your right, it becomes difficult at times, but when one of my children is sick.. I don't have to call into work... my life does not revolve around my work schedule.. my work revolves around my life schedule.

Good Luck to one and all at finding what works best....

5. timbonderud

timbonderud New Member

marigoldg
    Working at home can be like that, you have to find a company that gives you great training and support and gives you the ability to virtually run with almost full automation. This would greatly reduce your time involved. Take Care.

6. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

You have to find the right time everyday to devote to your business. Yes, you set your own hours but you have to find enough time during the day to be in the "business zone".

7. residualcash

residualcash New Member

What you've done is what many fail to do that keeps them from excelling in a work from home opportunity. Most treat it like a hobby and get hobby results.

8. 1life1fire

1life1fire New Member

Hi Marigold!

I also find that I work much better without distractions of any kind. I can't even have the radio on! LOL!!

A to-do-list would probably be a great idea... my problem is when I start working on 1 idea... half way thru I get another idea... then another... then another... I wish I could work at lightening speed so I could just finish one idea before I get another... and start bouncing around trying to get 3 ideas done at once. That's when it gets hard....

So I just go take a quick few minute break and think about each idea that I was working on ... and prioritize.

Hope this helps!
    Dan

9. OnlineIncome

OnlineIncome New Member

I find working in a room with no one else in it and no distractions is best. I also work better when my desk is clear of clutter and natural light is coming through the window. Don't know why that is but have always been that way. When I think of ideas of how to market my programs I have a white-board and paper in front of my to make sure I write down my ideas straight away. This was when I go to market my programs later on I can have more niches to expand my programs to.

10. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I get up early, and do my online playing before my daughter gets up. Then I take her to school and shut down my online playing when I get home. I will listen to a couple of really up beat songs and then go to work. My desk too is right beside 2 french doors with lots of natural light.

I take breaks and throw in a load of laundry, load the dishwasher etc. Then time to get the daughter again at 3. Come back home, sometimes resume working til night, sometimes I break for a happy hour.

2 days a week I have to tend to my handicapped elderly mother. I could not do this with a 9 to 5 job. It's a routine, no tv though, ever.

11. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

robinincarolina: It's a routine, no tv though, ever.
    except at night to unwind, although for me a brisk walk works great in the evening...[​IMG]

12. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

1life1fire: A to-do-list would probably be a great idea... my problem is when I start working on 1 idea... half way thru I get another idea... then another... then another... I wish I could work at lightening speed so I could just finish one idea before I get another... and start bouncing around trying to get 3 ideas done at once. That's when it gets hard....
    That SO is me...[​IMG] it helps me to stay on track if I have a list of what I would like to get accomplished every week.

13. timbonderud

timbonderud New Member

marigoldg
    Yes many people think it is a walk in the park, when you first start many and many hours have to be put into building it up, then a schedule has to be written up in order to stay on track just like any business the use of a daytimer is a nice touch, whether its a classic paper one or online daytimer, which by the way is nice because then you can access it anywhere theres internet and will always know what you had planned for business strategies that day. Remember to have a passion for what you are doing, this is the difference between success and failure of your business. Take Care.

14. HobbiesMann

HobbiesMann New Member

I agree, my work from home business takes all my effort. I can take the easy way out and that may give me more free time but then what's that sense in that if it causes me to earn less income.

I have to keep myself motivated constantly. It's tough when I am so easily distracted.

Because I work from home I can work any hours I want. By that I don't me less hours, I am talking about working hours where I don't get distracted. For me that's at 5am Mon. - Fri.

My work day is done by noon and then I can do whatever I want.

15. HobbiesMann

HobbiesMann New Member

getagrip

I have a laptop so my wife and I can still work on our web sites while we are travelling. It's so much better than taking notes and waiting until we get back home again.

16. wahgo

wahgo New Member

Lots of great ideas posted about working efficiently from home. There is a time and a place for work and a time and a place for family. My number one strategy is closing the door to my home office so I won't be disturbed when I'm working and then closing the door again when I'm leaving my home office at the end of the day. Otherwise the separation between home and work will get blurred.