Would you use a marketing tactic you personally find annoying?

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by A8ch, Aug 8, 2015.

1. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

This question was inspired by the opinions in this post regarding exit pop-ups: http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/threads/5-ways-to-generate-lead-from-a-blog.13745/

I know we wear different hats. Sometimes we are marketers and at other times we are consumers, so we get to walk in the shoes of both camps.

Some marketers never use marketing tactics they find annoying. Others use them anyway, preferring to keep their emotions out of it, especially if those tactics are effective.

What's your opinion?

Hermas

payment proof likes this.
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Personally I find pop ups annoying, entry pop ups more so than exit ones.
    How in the world would I know if I want to sign up for your newsletter
    BEFORE I get a chance to read the article that led me to your site?
    Sidebar ads are fine and actually get my attention some times.
    Banner ads still work when they are relevant to the readers.

"Do unto others as you would have done to you."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

YAGOOFT and payment proof like this.
  3. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

This one is really making me think. I may have to weigh the level of annoyance against the level of conversions and let the numbers make the decision?

YAGOOFT likes this.
  4. adamv

adamv New Member

There is a fine line between Annoying and Conversions. Honestly as marketers we need to continue to test and track everything. If customers really found some of these marketing tactics annoying, they should stop converting so damn well with them! ;-)

When I find something that is annoying, I vote with my mouse, by leaving. If everyone left when an annoying marketing tactic was used, people would stop using the tactic.

5. OrganizedbyErin

OrganizedbyErin New Member

Personally I would not use marketing tactics that I found annoying. If I find them annoying chances are others (not everyone) will find them annoying. I don't want my business name associated with annoying marketing tactics. In saying that, how many times has there been annoying jingles that we can not get out of our head? They annoy us, but we tend to remember them for longer.

Just2EZ likes this.
  6. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Absolutely not, and this is how I started my first traditional business, doing the opposite of what I hated about the industry and sales tactics, and it worked like gold, so lesson learned, do what you want others to do when it comes to sales. I hated hard sales tactics, so would never adopt them no matter what.

Success to all,

robinincarolina likes this.
  7. geoffrey foggon

geoffrey foggon New Member

popups work fact if they did not internet marketers would not put them on their sites. personally I prefer the peel away ad. basically it puts a curl in one of the corners of the web page, when you move the cursor over it. The page curls back to reveal a ad beneath it.

8. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Interesting,

Like everything, what worked yesterday does not mean it will work today, never mind tomorrow when it comes to advertising. I hate pop ups, fades, pop unders, which ever, they all annoy the heck out of me because everyone uses them thinking they work, but when in fact, rarely do they divert the attention away to a sale, they negate your main product websites potential. People have a very short attention span, to adding all the banners and adsense ads diminish your main site, and when I see a bunch of advertising on a website, CLICK, I am gone. Again, what use to work when it was fresh and new is one thing, seeing it all over the internet is another.

Peel offs worked great in the beginning as well a few years back, but again, it gets overdone and unless the peel off is offering a discount on your main product page, they too are useless. Static banners are about the only thing that works in my experience, but only if it is directly associated with your main product line. I had evaluated these options on a consistent converting sites to see the results, and sure enough, sales dropped, and these pop up, pop under and peel offs were the reason for sales dropping as once I removed them, sales resumed. I would suggest everyone do the same evaluation to see for yourself. Of course, there are exceptions, but very few. Business Blaster Lead systems are what works best today, perpetual leads cooperative is the newest answer to building any business while getting paid to build your list. can't beat that.

Success to all,

payment proof likes this.
  9. micheljanet

micheljanet New Member

Personally I would not use marketing tactics that I found annoying. If I find them annoying chances are others (not everyone) will find them annoying. I don't want my business name associated with annoying marketing tactics. In saying that, how many times has there been annoying jingles that we can not get out of our head? They annoy us, but we tend to remember them for longer.