WTF...I guess I don't own my domain afterall...

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by opendomain, Jun 5, 2008.

1. opendomain

opendomain New Member

So I was doing some link checking and stat research and such and came across this site:
    http://www.runeye.com/other/2_136.html

which says: "Beyond that near are tons, oodles lawful programs out at hand. I instinctively own www.opendomain.ws which is up and running but will be varying shortly to accomodate the heaps question you see on the pattern. This will simply show you how to turn your free time on the network into an income stream."

First off what language is that and secondly, who is this character?

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

[Post edited - Admin]
  2. opendomain

opendomain New Member

crap vishal sorry I didn't realize the link would be clickable...can you "unclickable" it? the one to my site that is.
  3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Well, I did a Whois search through Godaddy, and if your name "really is" is Gilbert, you are the owner of that domain as far as I can tell. [​IMG]

It could be that the webpage you are referring to is an older page from a previous owner - I don't really know how or why someone would claim ownership of a domain that is registered in someone else's name.
  4. opendomain

opendomain New Member

well what's funny is that after some more investigation i've found 3 more sites with similar wording. I search some old stuff i'd done and found one of the sites I posted a response to that was very similar in wording. I think this post is actually someone using wording from another place to put on their blog or site? ...if only it was understandable.

:p and Yes i'm Gilbert.
  5. lethalboom

lethalboom New Member

thats.... odd. obviously a bogus seller, thanks for the info [​IMG]
  6. pcwork

pcwork New Member

As long as the Whois shows your name, you own the domain
  7. herwindz

herwindz New Member

yups i agree with pcwork, when you do whois search and its shows up your details, thats your proof that you are the legal owner of the domain.
  8. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Open,

That is disturbing. I would be concerned if that happened to me.

I'm not sure what that guy means by "instinctively own". His English is incoherent.

You might contact your folks over at GDI - website.ws - and bring your concerns to their attention. At the very least, Mike and Alan should be able to ease your mind a bit.

On a positive note, my research indicates that you have been the only one to "rent" the rights to make use of your domain.

Let me know how this turns out.

~Newbie Shield~
  9. MyOwnBoss

MyOwnBoss New Member

It looks to me like whoever owns the site scraped content then ran it through a spinner. That's the kind of output you get from totally automated spinners - it's technically english, but makes zero sense.

Newbie Shield: I'm not sure what that guy means by "instinctively own". His English is incoherent.
  10. opendomain

opendomain New Member

I kind of figured it had to be run through some type of automated program. So do people just grab postings and shove them through these "spinners" for content?

I'm going to have to start copywriting my post[​IMG] lol
  11. MyOwnBoss

MyOwnBoss New Member

Yeah, it's one of the spammy ways people build sites. They use software that they just input the keywords and the programs scrape the content from someone else's site then spins it to make it unique from google's point of view.

The people who do this want to make money by hitting a button, and I guess technically they are. They don't care about making a quality site or anything, they're just playing a numbers game. They know a certain percent of people will click ads on any given page, so all they care about is spamming google to attract traffic. Their goal is to make a few bucks before google de-indexes their site, then they move on to another domain.

It's a stupid, lazy, short-sighted way to run a business, but there is no shortage in this world of stupid, lazy, short-sighted people.

The most you could really do is report the site to whatever ad network or affiliate they're using. Personally, I think you're just better off ignoring this and keep working to your goals. Trying to police your content (unless it's a high-dollar copyrighted something) is just something that takes time and effort you could be using to meet your own goals.

opendomain: I kind of figured it had to be run through some type of automated program. So do people just grab postings and shove them through these "spinners" for content?

I'm going to have to start copywriting my post lol
  12. herwindz

herwindz New Member

what is the best way to make our content couldnt be copy by anyone else?
  13. MyOwnBoss

MyOwnBoss New Member

There's not really any way to ensure that nobody will copy your content. If someone uses your content without a link, you can send them an email saying they either must link to the page they got it from or stop using it.

If it's someone who's just not aware of the rules, they will probably comply. If it's a spammer, they'll probably ignore any contact you make. Your best bet would be to contact adsense, adbright, whatever ad network they're using and complain.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been told my knowledgeable people that when you publish content on the web, you're automatically granting someone the rights to re-publish the content as long as they credit you as the source and link to the page they got it from.

herwindz: what is the best way to make our content couldnt be copy by anyone else?
  14. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

herwindz: what is the best way to make our content couldnt be copy by anyone else?
    It's impossible to publish any content on the Web and absolutely prevent someone from copying it. As long as your stuff is in the marketplace it's fair game to thieves and crooks. However, don't let that fact discourage you.

The good news is, the overwhelming majority of viewers are honest, and the tiny percentage of unscrupulous people who would rip off your stuff is nothing to lose sleep over... except, if they happen to get YOUR stuff, of course . [​IMG]

You can compare it to owning a car. Regardless of the anti-theft device installed on your vehicle, it can still be stolen if someone really wants to get it. The best you can do is make it difficult for them to take it, and if they do take it, the next best thing is to have a tracking device that'll help you locate it.

Many years ago the content of my first website was stolen... twice. The thieves lifted whole sections of content verbatim and presented it as theirs. I did a WHOIS search to find their contact information and emailed them a polite but strongly worded email threatening legal action if they didn't remove my material from their sites.

In both cases they removed the content within 24 hours.

Maybe you're wondering how I discovered the theft of property in the first place. I simply selected a phrase that would be unique to my content, enclosed it in quotation marks and pasted it into the Google search box.

The results returned all the pages that contained that particular string of words. I then visited those sites to take a closer look at the content and context.

Hermas
  15. herwindz

herwindz New Member

wow nice trick..
    i will try it..
    thanks a lot