Your favorite web hosting company?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by Vishal P. Rao, Feb 6, 2006.

1. pcwork

pcwork New Member

ItQuoting: stacyMy mom is going to start making doggie coats, doggie beds, and some other crafty items so I want a way to market them and sell them easily. I was going to list a few thing son eBay, but also have a nice looking website with all her products and eventually try to get traffic to the website and pull out of eBay completely.

So, any suggestions on a good e-commerce web hosting company?

It depends on how many images you have, how much disk space you need. Many companies offer for less than $10 / month

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Quoting: stacyDo any of hte above mentioned webhosting companies offer Retail website templates? I am very new at building websites and my software does not have the best tool for e-commerce. I was hoping to find a website that already had all the shopping cart tools and such, so I could just load pictures and go. I found a free retail website that is really easy to use, but it's very simplistic. I can only load 25 products and I can't change the look of it, becasue it's free, of course.
    My mom is going to start making doggie coats, doggie beds, and some other crafty items so I want a way to market them and sell them easily. I was going to list a few thing son eBay, but also have a nice looking website with all her products and eventually try to get traffic to the website and pull out of eBay completely.

So, any suggestions on a good e-commerce web hosting company?

Stacy,

Many of them do have retail stuff such as shopping carts, catalogs, and most things you would need for e-commerce. Additionally, many now offer most of the other bells and whistles - even the low cost hosting services.

I'd suggest globat or Go Daddy. Beware of how you sign up for Go Daddy if you go with them. They give you a lot in the default packages, but if you add other paid services the price can really go up. It's a great hosting company though.

Newbie Shield

3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Quoting: Newbie ShieldI'd suggest globat or Go Daddy. Beware of how you sign up for Go Daddy if you go with them. They give you a lot in the default packages, but if you add other paid services the price can really go up. It's a great hosting company though.

Do you have any websites hosted with GoDaddy?

4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

I have the Deluxe Package. When you sign up, there are extra options such as Traffic Facts (a more advanced version than the default option), Standard SSL, Dedicated Hosting IP, etc.

The charges can really add up if you don't watch what you are doing. I would say that the regular Deluxe Package without any options is the best bet for most folks.

Otherwise if you need minimal space and minimal transfer rate, the economy plan is extremely cheap.

[​IMG]

Newbie Shield

5. brookiel

brookiel New Member

Hostgator.

They are inexpensive, and their service is second to none.

They also have Fantastico in their Cpanel which is useful.

6. RecruitingChamp

RecruitingChamp New Member

I like 1&1. Start at $3.99 a month. Excellent Service too.

[Post edited. Affiliate ID removed - Admin]

7. pcwork

pcwork New Member

I don't think everyone can purchase hosting from 1&1

8. Zerxer

Zerxer New Member

I use Surpass. They are very good, I'd say. Also beats the hell out of HostGator.

You get 200GB space and 2000GB bandwidth/month for just $6/month or $60/year. Their uptime is very good and their support is excellent; they always reply to me ASAP.

They're actually running a promotion from December 15th through December 31st for new users. Same package I just mentioned for just $12 the first year.
    http://www.surpasshosting.com/content/holiday2007/

I'd recommend them to any of you that are looking for a cheaper/more reliable host.

9. aplina

aplina New Member

site built it provide me with everything needed to stay online. most importantly traffic

10. malibumentor

malibumentor New Member

Hostgator is what I am using right now and its very good
    and resonably priced.

A word to the wise - get a host with C-panel and Fantastico.

These are as close to industry standards as you will find and
    they are intuitive to use. That makes for less time spent and
    less frustration.

11. juno44444

juno44444 New Member

I use Godaddy. For a around $6.50 a month I can host as many sites as I want up to a certain bandwith and GB. They are great, never had a problem with them.

Their website structure is confusing. That's all - otherwise they are great.

12. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Quoting: ZerxerI use Surpass. They are very good, I'd say. Also beats the hell out of HostGator.

You get 200GB space and 2000GB bandwidth/month for just $6/month or $60/year. Their uptime is very good and their support is excellent; they always reply to me ASAP.

For how long have you been hosting with Surpass?

13. DG1970

DG1970 New Member

I use Hostgator's baby croc package for most of my sites.

It is only $9.95 a month (cheaper for new signups) and allows unlimited domains and unlimited databases (so great for hosting your own wordpress blogs)

For more important sites (ie commercial sites like online stores), I use 1&1UK at ??8.99 a month (US and Canadaian users get a much better deal for only $9.99 a month, but this deal is not accessible to other countries). This allows me up to 10 domains, 2 databases and 40gig of bandwidth a month

14. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Is 1&1UK more secure compared to Hostgator?

15. DG1970

DG1970 New Member

Quoting: pcworkIs 1&1UK more secure compared to Hostgator?

I wouldn't say that Hostgator is insecure. I have never had anything happen to make me question their security measure.

It is the whole package that makes me more comfortable using 1&1 for sites that I view as more important in terms of security and, to some extent, uptime.

16. cardwarrior

cardwarrior New Member

Crucial Paradigm is my hosting company. They have good prices, but the main selling point is their customer service. Always prompt, and they get the answers that you need...Check them out...www.crucialp.com.

17. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Quoting: cardwarriorCrucial Paradigm is my hosting company
    For how long have you been with Crucial Paradigm

18. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

After reading lot of good reviews about Host Gator and Blue Host, I decided to give them a try. Moreover my hosting charges (with pair) was turning out to be on the expensive side compared to above two.

When doing research, one thing that was not clear in their plans was the option of dedicated IPs for additional domains hosted. However, when contacted, they said they offer only one IP per account!

While the subject of dedicated or shared IP is still debatable, I feel, if you are thinking long term, it doesn't hurt to get dedicated IPs, at least for your most invested (time and money) websites.

I would settle with Pair for now as I can assign dedicated IPs @ $1/month per domain name.

19. jeannine05

jeannine05 New Member

I like tripod.com $12.95 for a domain name free hosting with ads or $4.95 a month with no ads

20. familymoses

familymoses New Member

I have one site hosted with DataWebPro for $6.95/month. The service is good, the price is reasonable, and they can handle the post nuke software the site was originally created with. (NOT by me - I'm still trying to figure out the cPanel!)

I also have 2 sites with AllWebCo for $9.95/month each. The back office is very easy to figure out and if I have problems I can e-mail the owner and get things fixed immediately.

Both companies have excellent "online" time.

I am amazed that several people think GoDaddy gives good service. I needed their customer service more than once and I thought it was awful!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

Sandi

[Post edited. Affiliate link removed - Admin]