Your favorite web hosting company?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by Vishal P. Rao, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Sonni: What does unlimited domains mean?

It simply means you can host multiple domain names (websites) under one account unlike many hosts where you have to sign up a new account for every additional website (domain name) you host with them.

2. Sonni

Sonni New Member

Thanks for the response. I've looked everywhere trying to figure out domain, sub-domain, add-on domain, parked domain, registering a domain. Researched web hosts so that I can try to make informed decisions. Research, asking questions and reading has proven to keep me from making huge mistakes. It takes time but is worth it.

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Sonni: ...I've looked everywhere trying to figure out domain, sub-domain, add-on domain, parked domain, registering a domain. Researched web hosts so that I can try to make informed decisions. Research, asking questions and reading has proven to keep me from making huge mistakes. It takes time but is worth it.

Hi Sonni,

Picture perfect attitude. Keep up the good work :)

~Newbie Shield~

4. gradyp

gradyp New Member

I got tired of the "advertising" popups and banners that I had no control over from some of the free hosting services years ago, so for the last couple of years, I've been using Webintellects (http://www.webintellects.com) for my personal site that I use mainly for keeping in touch with family, though I had plans to eventually be able to do other things as well. They have both Windows and Linux based systems to host from and offer a variety of options, depending on the plan you choose. I'm on the silver one myself and pay around $80 for both the hosting and domain registration.

I also use Blue Wire for other things, though.

5. lemonseahorse

lemonseahorse New Member

I finally went with tiptopwebsite.com and had a friend do as that site instructed. I'm up and running well. Although I do need more animated pics to add to my writings.

6. SheTeq

SheTeq New Member

I'm so glad I found this thread. Thanks for all the info eveyone!

I'm still in the research stage and haven't picked a hosting company yet. There is one that I've seen pop up on a few review sites that I don't think was mentioned here - StartLogic
    Is anyone using them?

Newbie question -
    I see some hosts offer mulitple and unlimited domain names. For instance:
    Unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth @ $4.95/month (host unlimited domains)

Do the really do that at that price or are there usually additional charges as Vishal mentioned with Pair? I can't imagine that they would register your new domain name without additional charges.

Still looking ...

7. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

SheTeq: Do the really do that at that price or are there usually additional charges as Vishal mentioned with Pair? I can't imagine that they would register your new domain name without additional charges.

There will usually be some set-up charges associated. It would be best to contact their support department and inquire about it. That way you'll also get a good assessment of their support turn-around time.

8. OgKush

OgKush New Member

Yeah I'm all about GoDaddy.com too. So cheap, they have all you really need. Very good customer service!

9. z2ac2k

z2ac2k New Member

Go Daddy is cheap but my god they are horrible at logging in and out. SLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW and half of the time it errors out. Does anyone else have this problem?

10. NWA

NWA New Member

I'm using webhostingplan. So far they have been very helpfull and have answered all my questions very fast. It's cheap. Has any one else used them?

11. pcwork

pcwork New Member

z2ac2k: Go Daddy is cheap but my god they are horrible at logging in and out. SLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW and half of the time it errors out. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Yes, GoDaddy is very slow for domain registration also.

12. Sonni

Sonni New Member

I use Hostgator and have had no problems with the server. However, when I did have to call them on a billing issue their customer service was not very good. I did get it cleared up, they blamed paypal and paypal blamed them. I still don't know what happened. All I know is, it's OK now.

There is only one domain/hosting service that I have heard bad things about on a consistent basis and that is Godaddy. There is a forum called, I kid you not, NODaddy where all the people who have been jacked around by Godaddy go and share their horror stories. If you are thinking about using Godaddy I would check out what is what at Nodaddy.
    Sonni

13. websage

websage New Member

I can't fault HostMonster - who've grown like Topsy since I've been with them over the last 2 years. I needed hosting for a myriad of minisites and larger sites plus test projects and it's great for this kind of stuff due to the 'unlimited domains' and 'unlimited bandwidth' offer at around $5.95pm (on special just now) - I sometimes wonder how other pricier alternatives get any business at all. Naturaly it has the latest cPanel, I like their 'unlimited' ftp system, fully fantastico featured and much else...support (very infrequently needed) has been good and quick...happy to recommend them.

I have some domains with Godaddy - but REALLY dislike their interminable sales pages and rather wish I didn't have them there as I've heard too many bad things...about loss of domains and sites being shut down and all that stuff...

I've heard good stuff about bluehost, and ThinkHost looks interesting (one of the 'green' hosts) - and also heard regulr positive feedback about Hostgator any of which I'd take a closer look at if I moved from Hostmonster...though I can't see why I would!

Naturally it's also horses for course - as the type of host mentioned above is good if you want to write and publish your own html/php/css based sites...But this requires some learning if it's new to you. Naturally a site could just be a Wordpress blog - uploaded to the home domain via fantastico - the work of moments and then that fairly simple 'content management' system to get used to. But I am also now a big fan of Terapad which is slisker and better featured than Wp (imho) and has some particular benefits for those who want to get a crisp, professional-looking website up with minium fuss and and using easy to learn building interface (with no need for any serious html knowledge)

Al

14. matthemattrix

matthemattrix New Member

I am comparatively new to being a webmaster. But I can definitely put a good word in for Weebly. They are free, but you can buy domains through them. And there are other upgrade options also.

Very straightforward, reliable. Better than a couple of paid hosts I have used.

Highly recommended for the newbie.

15. pcwork

pcwork New Member

matthemattrix: I am comparatively new to being a webmaster. But I can definitely put a good word in for Weebly.
    For how long have you been using Weebly?

16. saran

saran New Member

I have been using Exabytes for a couple of years now. No downtime what so ever. Great support, Affordable prices.

17. Loomis

Loomis New Member

I have been using 1and1. I love it, and its easy set up to use for domain parking with sedo.

18. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Just stumbled across a potential hosting candidate tonight.

Has anyone tried Omnis? It looks similar to Host Gator, Blue Host, and Host Monster.

~Newbie Shield~

19. myseogal

myseogal New Member

I use merchantmoms.com

It is great for wahm. There is a great support system (forum) and the storeadmin has great tools for you to use like a section for wholesale if you offer it, there is a FAQ creator, Articles Creator, Affiliate Program creator and so forth.

The fees to start off were 12.99 per month when I started about three years ago. I don't think they changed.

There link is www.merchantmoms.com

20. Liquification

Liquification New Member

I have Bluehost for about 2 months now and they are great. I received a personal phone call from a real person thanking me for signing up with them. And the one question i did have was answered via email within 15 minutes of me sending it.