1-2 breathing technique

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by Vishal P. Rao, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Breathing is one of the most effective techniques to manage stress. One very simple yet powerful technique to relieve stress is 1-2 breathing. In this, the time to exhale is twice that of the time to inhale. So if you take 4 counts to exhale, the counts to exhale would be 8.

Please do not force. Initially it'll difficult to double the time for exhalation, but after some practice, it'll be easier.

Just 5-10 minutes of this practice can bring profound relaxation in you.

2. broadland

broadland New Member

Breathing exercise is one of the most fundamental techniques of stress releif. One of the first things taught in any yoga class is breathing exercise, which goes by its yoga name as "pranayam". There is a usage based confirmation that it works.
    The fundament goal of many yoga instructions is to achieve control over your autonomous nervous system. Breathing and heart beats are the most fundamental results of the functioning of the autonomous nervous system.

3. Izrul

Izrul New Member

You are absolutely right Vishal.

From my past experience in handling stress, I simply failed to reduce it no matter how good the technique was. Until one friend of mine told me why not I learn how to breathe correctly. I laugh at him at first simply because I don't think breathing is the answer to solve my stress problem.[​IMG]

But after some times, I did it anyway. I was quite surprise with the result. If anyone who wish to learn how to reduce stress, learn how to breathe correctly as mentioned by Vishal. Believe me, this first step is very crucial.

4. lakshmi_guru

lakshmi_guru New Member

In other words it is also called Pranayama in Yoga. Breathing is life. It is one of our most vital functions. One of the Five Principles of Yoga is Pranayama or Breathing Exercise which promotes proper breathing. In a Yogic point of view, proper breathing is to bring more oxygen to the blood and to the brain, and to control Prana or the vital life energy. Pranayama also goes hand in hand with the Asanas. The union of these two Yogic Principles is considered as the highest form of purification and self-discipline, covering both mind and body.

5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Vishal P. Rao: Just 5-10 minutes of this practice can bring profound relaxation in you

I used to get pain around my heart due to stress and the breathing technique helped that. It will also relieve fatigue when you are driving as sometimes when we concentrate, we hold our breath longer than we realize and it reduces the flow of oxygen to the brain, thus causing sleepiness.

A friend of mine even lost weight by doing breathing exercises as she had so much more energy - thus burning off more calories...[​IMG]

The benefits of breathing exercises are endless!

6. zack

zack New Member

i use deep belly breathing to calm myself down.

7. candi

candi New Member

This makes total sense and I really wonder sometimes why I don't do it as much as I should. I don't think I am the only person with this memory lapse but sometimes stress can just eat us up. I'm still working on it myself.

8. luvtravel

luvtravel New Member

Do you know that the Wii Fit game has deep breathing excercises and yoga, it may sound like its just a game but beleive me its more than that, it takes my BMI, weight, and my balance.

It tells me when I am balanced or not as it seems when we are not balanced we are not in harmony.

Yesterday I allowed stress to cause me a severe migraine with stomach upset over a situation I have NO control over,
    anyone care to suggest something for that?

Terri

9. Vishal P. Rao

luvtravel: Yesterday I allowed stress to cause me a severe migraine with stomach upset over a situation I have NO control over,
    anyone care to suggest something for that?

Do some breathing exercise like Kapalbhati and Alternate Nostril breathing. It'll help you a lot.

10. Seth

Seth New Member

I do this technique when im working out ...

After a heavy set [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Vishal P. Rao

Seth: I do this technique when im working out ...

After a heavy set

The breathing exercises I mentioned? You shouldn't! You should wait for at least 15-20 minutes after heavy exercise or till your breathing becomes normal.

12. Anna_D

Anna_D New Member

This is a great exercise. You don't get the chance to think about your worries, as you are so concentrated on counting the seconds.

13. bing

bing New Member

I'm applying the 1-2 breathing exercise now! [​IMG]

Just a quick question, it's deep breathing right? I try to do some shallow 1-2 breathing and it doesn't seem to work.

I guess I have been doing this unknowingly. When I'm concentrating on something, I do deep breaths involuntarily.

Thank you for this tip. As always Vishal, you have great insights! I'm glad I came across with this forum.

14. Vishal P. Rao

bing: Just a quick question, it's deep breathing right? I try to do some shallow 1-2 breathing and it doesn't seem to work.
    It isn't deep breathing exactly. In deep breathing, you inhale deeply and then exhale deeply. However, in 1-2 breathing, exhalation is twice the inhalation.

The best way to lengthen your exhalation is to do chanting. Here's a simple technique to lenghten your exhalation:

Inhale till you reach 80% of your lung's capacity and then as you exhale, say aaahh (A of A-U-M)... Keep saying till the end of the exhalation. Now let the inhalation happen automatically. Don't put any effort. Then start saying aaahhh again during exhalation.

You'll note that with this practice, your exhalation automatically lengthens than your inhalation.

15. bing

bing New Member

Hi Vishal,

Thank you very much. One thing I noticed is that when I concentrated on breathing, I totally forget everything else and it feels great.

I'm starting to like this 1-2 breathing techniques.

[​IMG]

16. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

mountainmom5: we hold our breath longer than we realize and it reduces the flow of oxygen to the brain
    LOL, that explains a lot.
    My wife often has to remind me to breathe.
    I was one of those kids who held his breath till I passed out.
    It was the only way I could get my brain to shut up, still is.
    I count my quiet time in milliseconds.

Thanks for the reminder to breathe Vishal.