10 rules for working at home.

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by weebitty, Jun 17, 2010.

1. weebitty Member

Gee that brings back memories. I didn't have four kids but I am talking about the my time after everyone went to bed including hubby. I needed that time just to myself. My husband never understood why I stayed up after he went to bed. I needed that quiet time to get some things done or thought out or just read a book in peace [IMG]
  2. katereber New Member

reyeshane: Thank you for this information. I need this kind of advise too. It is not bad to relax for a few minutes or do other things that can help you unwind.

Absolutely, agree with you.. A few minutes of relaxing can refresh our mind from getting stressed.. It is very important to have a minutes for our self and it's not bad rather.. We are not machine, we are just humans..
  3. emilyathome New Member

That is a really good article thanks for sharing it!!!! I have a 2 year old and a 1 month old it get hard to balance but taking a few of those tips is helping me quite a bit.
  4. Winningjob New Member

Great article weebitty! Funny, I was looking at a picture today that said, "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." SO true!

I think that the difference between those that are successful and those that are not is that those that fail more often do not develop habits and instead complain about it. Those that are more often successful may not LIKE doing certain things, but do them as a matter of habit to continue their success.
  5. TomBock70 New Member

I think everyone is different. I can't take too many breaks or I get distracted. I would rather push through & get all my important stuff done first. There are times I get so focused before I know it 3 hours have gone by. Those are the productive days!
  6. katereber New Member

mountainmom5: .... and no facebook! Sheesh, I can waste a whole hour on facebook if I am not careful.
    Same here, I don't use facebook more often especially during my working hour. I can open my Facebook account when needed and If I finished my work.

@weebitty
    Thanks for sharing, such a good topic. [IMG]
  7. cherie New Member

I plan for 3 Items on my LIST I don't want to do. Procrastination!
    Knock those off and find the rest of my day flows much better.
    Thing is it is a challenge to get to those 3 items![IMG] Aim to do something fun once a day for at least 15 minutes. I stopped checking my emails first thing in the morning. I save them for my break time.
    That was a challenge!
  8. audrey12 New Member

Hi i work from home and i guess these tips will be useful for me. Thank you. I mostly work on tiny jobs so i used to take long break after completing each task. By following these tips i may feel energetic and do work.
  9. Chrissy15 New Member

Hi,

Has anybody heard of the Pomodoro Technique? Somebody told me about this recently and apparently it's a very popular and widely practised time management technique.

Basically you work for 25 mins, take a break for 3-5 mins and so on. After 4 lots of Pomodoros are completed you take a break of 15 minutes. And then repeat the cycle.

That's a very simplified breakdown but I'm giving it a go this week to see how it works for me [IMG]

Chrissy
  10. happywife Gold Member

Chrissy15: Has anybody heard of the Pomodoro Technique? Somebody told me about this recently and apparently it's a very popular and widely practised time management technique.

Basically you work for 25 mins, take a break for 3-5 mins and so on. After 4 lots of Pomodoros are completed you take a break of 15 minutes. And then repeat the cycle.

That's a very simplified breakdown but I'm giving it a go this week to see how it works for me
    Hi Chrissy,

I haven't heard of that technique precisely (or at least not the name of it), but the general idea behind it I've heard of and that it improves productivity.

I have to be honest and admit that I've been to lazy to initiate it, but it will be interesting to hear how effective it is for you. If you get noticeable results, it may be just the incentive I need to give it a try. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  11. aileeng New Member

The best thing I have ever done with regard to improving my time management is implement the principles of 'Eat that Frog' by Brian Tracy. Basically, it means that everyone typically has a 'frog' - a task that they hate doing, and in order to improve productivity, Brian recommends that we should eat that 'frog', or complete that task first thing in the morning. If we do this, it frees up the rest of the day. We feel good that we've already achieved something early in the morning. In addition, we don't go through the day with the thought of that 'task' hanging over us. This is something that has really worked for me.
  12. RonnanR New Member

I've heard about this 'frog eating' principle and I agree with it.

The most important thing I do is to put my phone away (switching the sounds on, so that I can pick up when somebody's calling). Thanks to it all these twitter, fb and other messages don't bother me all the time. And what's even more important - I have to steer clear from all those social networking things.

I have to admit that I even tried some software that calculated my productivity on the basis of the sites and applications I used (I don't remember the name - if somebody needs it I may look it up).

And when it comes to Pomodoro - isn't it an online timer?
  13. Since I work online, not reading stuff on the internet helps. I find that I can spend hours and hours going off on a tangent reading so many interesting things.

I just do what I have to do, I actually have a written plan, and I execute it everyday. [IMG]
  14. Just2EZ Moderator

MomPowerEarner: I actually have a written plan, and I execute it everyday.
    I found that if I don't make a plan I won't have to kill it [IMG]
    "Even the best laid plans of mice and men..."
    or "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans".

Just kidding of course! ?
  15. weddingflorist New Member

Good article- thanks for sharing!

I think having the flexibility to really schedule work around your day is key!

I know I can wake up before the kids/hubby and cram through a LOT of stuff (email responses, blog posts, etc...) in the early hours of the morning, don't work too much during the day when the kids are up, all phone calls during nap time and then my floral design and work that the hubby helps me with after the kids are in bed at night. Funny how that time is our time together vs. date nights back in the day! [IMG]
  16. Kris M New Member

I use the Pomodoro technique. I need frequent breaks or else I'll go crazy! [IMG]
  17. robinincarolina Silver Member

I don't follow a single thing mentioned in that article. I used to believe to be successful meant you had to work hard. Turns out that was a limited belief that was holding me back. I follow my instincts more than anything else. I have found that tweaking one thing based on my instincts can bring in hundreds more dollars a month. I have found that one thought out article can bring in more money. I have found that the right product can bring in more money. It's really not about working hard in my world, because honestly, I don't.

Some of my facebook playtimes have actually been pretty productive. I make new friends, build new relationships and earn trust, then when I do post a link, people read it. Maybe not the first time, but it gets attention.

Consider viewing the following statements as false as opposed to true.

You have to spend money to make money

To have anything worth while, you have to work hard

A penny saved is a penny earned

Money is the root of evil

With money comes great responsibility

My favorite false statement of all "I can't afford it"

Gratitude brings me more wealth than any of those tips in that article. Gratitude and letting go of these beliefs that breed fear and hold me back. My two cents, works for me.
  18. tmvmediaworks New Member

I wake at same time everyday 8am, make my bed everyday,have breakfast, shower and pretend I "have to be at the office" by 10am everyday.

Structure is key!

Plus i set daily goals to make me more productive and satisfied.

It really works!!!