4 advices for working from home

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by R. Martin, Jan 30, 2016.

1. R. Martin

R. Martin New Member

1. Create a specific area at home for work and don't use it for any other task. Just work.
    2. Follow a daily schedule as if you were working at the office, and don't work out of that time.
    3. Socialize. It's important to know new people and keep contact with your friends after work.
    4. Take care of retirement savings. As you don’t have an employer’s plan to automatically set funds aside for you, it's important to save some money for it.

Feel free to add more tips to this list or correct some point.

kerys311 and payment proof like this.
  2. HABS

HABS New Member

In the words of Tony Robbins - "Rituals are everything! Rituals, rituals, rituals!"

And by that he means you should develop rituals to change the way you think, change the way you act so you align your thoughts to a target and head straight towards it by the shortest possible route without looking left or right.

payment proof likes this.
  3. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

Love what you do. If you find something you enjoy doing, it helps to keep you motivated and makes life much more enjoyable. :)

4. TniComRec

TniComRec Member

You also want to get a few minutes of sunshine every day. Your body needs a little bit of it in order to process and make Vitamin D. It also gives you the chance to get some fresh air.

5. payment proof

Agreed. Getting outside and way from your computer is very important. You need time to reenergize.

TniComRec likes this.
  6. Max Jensen

Max Jensen New Member

Couldn't agree more. The daily schedule is so important. It is so easy to go from one thing to another and do multiple things at once if you don't have a plan. Do daily, weekly and monthly schedule is a really good idea.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

7. Iris S

Iris S Member

I am loving these post! I often write and emphasize these same points. People tend to get slack when they are working at home, when we should treat it as if we are outside of the home working. You must keep a schedule and stick to it.
    Although you have flexibility you must still organize, organize and keep organized. :)

8. chd07

chd07 New Member

Even though I just started my new part time job Working at Home, I was lucky enough to get a couple days of training at Panda Postage with a veteran sales rep, and one of the best things of advice he gave me was to follow a point system.
    Because we're working at home, we're our own boss, so to make sure we don't slack we should have a point system.
    Your point system would all depend on what you're doing for your stay at home job.
    I'll use my job as an example because it's what I know best.
    I recruit small business to join our website, but I do this through a number of ways.
    Each thing I do gets me a certain number of points, like a telemarketer call would get 2 points, replying to a potential costumer's e-mail = 1point, getting a new costumer = 10points, etc. etc.
    And if I hit 60 points I consider it a successful day (doesn't always happen :oops: )
    I know buying and reselling stuff on eBay is a big work at home job, I'm sure a point system for that would be easy to make up.

Anyway I hope this helps.

9. Get Started

Get Started New Member

4 things that I really need to work on - ha. Thanks!

10. sansastark

sansastark New Member

I have tried to work at home but finally I see that the productivity is very slow. Some friends suggest me to go to Co-working space to work with other freelancers like me. And I feel better to work together with friends who are in the same situation with me

11. Claire93

Claire93 Member

Great tips. What is the most important is to understand the necessity of having rest after the working day. But, you know, from my own experience it's not so easy to follow the schedule. To be honest, I simply have no schedule haha

12. OmaSeNg

OmaSeNg New Member

I've been working from home for about four months now and though I love it, I'm having a hard time disciplining myself to have a routine.

13. Daniel c

Daniel c New Member

Awesome post!
    Do what you love and love what you do!

14. Matt_Hopkins

Matt_Hopkins New Member

Thank you for great tips!

I think that working from home is harder than from the office because we do it in a place that we live in, rest and relax. From my own experience, I can add that it is really important to keep the balance between work and private life. When I'm working, I don't make anything connected with my private life, such as making friendly calls, cleaning, etc.

I also have one tip, which helps me trick my brain to get into a job-mode:

Dress as if you were going to the office. And after work, change your clothes to more comfortable. That way, you will feel more like working, even when you are in a comfy chair in your living room!

Have a nice day all! :)

15. Davidinspain

Davidinspain New Member

Some great tips here and when i started online several years ago one of the first things i did was set up a home office in the smallest bedroom it the house and that was my new place of work. You need an office space. Although i now work from anywhere mostly with my laptop or iphone, i think that you always need a base to work from. also set your working hours. At first i went full out working at my online business late into the night but i think it is best to set some hours. now i normally start working online at 8am after my run and then only work 3 hours before i have a break, even a quick walk to take out the rubbish is fine. then go back to it. short breaks helps me regain energy. Always have a dailt plan too. i make a note of what i want to do the night before so in the morning i can cross off the tasks.

Iris S and payment proof like this.
  16. payment proof

I think the more you do it, the easier the routine gets.

17. Juan Jones

Juan Jones New Member

yes, truly said.

18. Donna Isakson

Donna Isakson New Member

The four advice that i can give you first you create a daily work schedule then set aside a specific place exclusively for work where no one can disturbed you then get the proper business paperwork and at last you should have LinkedIn groups that relate to your work, employer etc.
    All the best.

19. Georgerocker

Georgerocker New Member

Very interesting idea about clothes. I'll try it.