42 - is it really the answer?

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by southbank63, Nov 13, 2007.

1. southbank63 New Member

I'm not sure if anyone outside UK will understand this... or am I being too eurocentric?

Is the answer to the universe 42?

Anyone with an answer...? [IMG]
  2. southbank63 New Member

Maybe not LOL [IMG]
  3. opendomain New Member

I thought it was 41...but I often forget to carry the one...?

I might not be from Europe, but please expound on this i'm interested now.
  4. southbank63 New Member

'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' by Douglas Adams.

Brilliant book.. .. originally a Radio 4 series.. if I told you what 42 is.. I'd spoil the end of the book...[IMG]

[IMG]answer... 42 is ....

"Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything has a numeric solution in Douglas Adams' series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In the story, a "simple answer" to The Ultimate Question is requested from the computer Deep Thought - specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7?? million years to compute and check the answer which turns out to be 42. When asked to provide The Ultimate Question, the computer says that it can't, but can help design an even more powerful computer (the Earth) which can. The programmers then embark on a further, ultimately futile, ten million year program to discover The Ultimate Question, hindered by Golgafrinchans after 8 million years, and in the last five minutes by the Vogons"... silly silly...but I like it..[IMG]
  5. aplina New Member

sound intersting nevered hard of it
  6. opendomain New Member

i'd heard of the book but didn't get a chance to read it before the movie came out...unfortunately I just saw the movie.[IMG] I just didn't remember the answer or the reference. Good movie for what it was[IMG]
  7. wealthymarket New Member

You don't think there are intelligent lifeforms outside of the UK who love the 5 part trilogy and always carry a towel with them? lol [IMG] I had actually forgotten they made a movie out of it!!! lol Wasn't there also something like "So long and thanks for the fish?" Part of the 5 part trilogy, right? Been a number of years now...but a good deal has stuck with me!!! :-D

Now that I remember the movie, I was disappointed that they didn't give a thorough explanation of all the uses for the towel. It didn't really show up too much in the movie, sadly. [IMG]
  8. wealthymarket New Member

BTW...still looking for the question to that answer, southbank63? lol [IMG]
  9. redsadie New Member

Lol! Yes I do believe it's 42 [IMG]

It's so absurd it couldn't be anything else!

Glad I didn't have to wait millions of years for it though [IMG]

x
  10. getagrip Gold Member

11. dreamwalker New Member

I love the Douglas Adams series! Very creative and yes, absurd.