A key reason people don't succeed in their home business

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by FreeCashMan, Jul 21, 2011.

1. annadenise

annadenise Member

Excellent post! I actually found the business that let me leave the corporate world by accident. I have always been interested in quality nutritional supplements and was hunting online for a productand stumbled on the company. I already had knowledge in this area and am very interested in it, so it was a perfect fit. I was very motivated to do well because of my interest level.

You also have to be willing to put in the work, as I saw posted in this thread. I worked very hard the first couple of years to get my business growing to produce a good, steady income.

Finally, make sure when looking for a long term business that you look at how many years a company has been in business and better still make sure they are debt free. There are so many business' popping up all the time that come and go.
  2. Yes, Kyle, recognizing that it is a marathon is crucial. After investigating what you want to do, and then starting the process, hanging in there is essential to making it, because nothing comes without your personal investment. :)
  3. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

When you start a business on the Internet they always talk about how much money you can make and so that's what you think about and concentrate on! Learn how to get as many people as possible to your website and do it every day. That's what you should think about and concentrate on because if you can't do that you won't make money!
  4. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Establishing a way that you consistently get people in front of your business opportunity or it's products is essential. To many think the business failed them when they failed themselves by not taking the time to get consistent quality prospects/leads in front of the business. Additionally, one needs to have a follow up means, a.k.a. build the list.
  5. TJ Reed

TJ Reed New Member

Oh my!
    I could go on for hours on this topic, but I will try my best to keep it short. LOL.

I work an interenet business full time. I have been involved in MLM, Network Markting and Affiliate Marketing.

I was able to start doing this full time as an affiliate marketer. I'm not saying this is the answer, it's simply what worked best for me.

Anyway, I see 3 main issues that keep people from succeeding. As I say this, I want anyone reading this to know, I know people who have been wildly successful, middle of the road, and failures in all of the above ways of making money online.

Here's what I see:
    1. FOCUS!!!!
    2. TAKING ACTION!!!!
    3. WORK AT IT!!!!!!
    There is so much information out there on business opporutunities, how to market, what to sell and on and on and on. I reccomend finding a niche, product, program whatever and STICK WITH IT!!! Jumping online business types or opportunities will not make you money.

Find a marketing technique and STICK WITH IT!!!! Learn it, which will take time, but don't spend months learning to do something and never implement it. Also, I am a huge fan of motivional authors and speakers, however I have seen people get so caught up in personal development and yet they never TAKE ACTION!!!!

Lastly, NOTHING online will get you rich quick. I know there are programs that offer this, but working from home on the web is a BUSINESS. It will take time. You can earn a very good income in a shorter period of time compared to a traditional business and it is WAY less expensive to get started, but you need to allow time for it to grow and produce.

You must be willing to learn new skills, take action, apply those skills and work at it, to be successful making money online.
    Just2EZ likes this.
  6. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

We all talk the talk, here's some food for thought! Those of us in the Internet marketing business call people who come to our websites and buy something "conversions" if they hit our site and then leave they are a "bounce". If people bounce we don't make money! How do you turn a bounce into a conversion? Content, if you don't know what Google Panda is then find out, because if you can't keep people on you site for at least three minutes, Panda will stop them from coming at all. Content will do that, people who stay three minutes will have something to talk about even if they don't convert! So? You might ask. Well word of mouth is the best form of advertising and it's cheap too! So get people on your site, get them to stay and give them something to talk about and if they don't convert, maybe they'll talk to someone who will!
  7. bigarnie

bigarnie New Member

You are right!!! Most people start something, work a short time at it, then give it up as not working!! If you had a 9-5 job, you work several weeks, say 3 weeks, hours, just being trained in the procedures. How can you start an internet job, work a couple hours, and give up not making anything?
  8. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

A couple of days ago I worked a 14 hour day, the result was the best day my site has ever had. Yesterday I worked about 10 and again had the best day ever. So far today I have 6 hours in and will do more, again the best day ever.
    I can't wait for tomorrow. No one makes me do what I do, I don't have a 90 day performance report and I can only get a raise if I work harder. The coolest thing though is I can't get fired or laid off and I can do it how ever I want as long as it works.
  9. annadenise

annadenise Member

You are so right! There are times we need to really work harder but still are doing it because we want to. I have days where I work long hours, sometimes because I always want to review and make sure I am completely aware of everything that goes on in my two companies so I can always correctly answer teammates questions. Sometimes it is because I am on the phone on conference calls assisting others or listening to company calls. Sometimes I am on various forums or Linkedin trying to assist folks regardless of whose team they are in. THE GREATEST SOMETIME is I can also choose to just take a day off when I want to and PLAY!!!
  10. Ina Stanley

Ina Stanley Member

I agree that the numbers are very important to keep in mind when launching your marketing nets. However I also agree with A8ch that quality is much more important than quantity. I'd much rather have a few members who will stay long-term and work their buts off like me (so that I can truly achieve residual income) than tons of people who will drop off after a month or sooner (and possibly become the naysayers that feel they were ripped off but didn't actually do anything to achieve success).

You're absolutely right Kyle, it is one of the longest but most fulfilling marathons you will ever run. Even when certain tasks seem mundane and not as helpful to what you're doing, remember that all of it matters and contributes. I'd rather take a little while to get off the ground but have a strong foundation when I do, than launch quickly and have to backtrack and rebuild over and over again because I didn't do things right the first time.

And to agree with miller111, expecting to succeed without any effort is a huge mistake. I've never known ANYTHING in life that you can do that with. And personally, the success feels so much better when I look back on all that I did to achieve it. Not to mention, I can look at my efforts, chronicle them and duplicate them for other programs and ventures and help my team members to do the same. Not putting in effort means you have no plan to fall back on for yourself or your team.
    miller111 likes this.
  11. Ina Stanley

Ina Stanley Member

Oh, and congrats to you Wayne! I actually don't mind working long hours because I can be in the comfort of my own home around my family. So kudos to you for the success and staying focused!
  12. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

Ina, thank you for your kind words. Tonight I was on Skype talking to three people at the same time. One was a woman who wanted to recruit me. One was an Internet Super affiliate who agreed to come and post on my blog! The third was a woman who was quitting one program, starting another and wanted to know it I could tell her what to do!
    At the same time I was writing a press release, writing a rebuttal to a comment on Linkedin in which someone had challenged me and trying to decide what to have for dinner. It all worked out, I've got a full stomach and it's only 11:10 p.m. so I still have time to generate some hits, comment on some other people's press releases, write a new blog and sent a tweet before I go to another site and connect to a couple of people who requested to connect to me and send them each an invitation to come and blog too. All in all not a bad day for a self employed guy who doesn't want to work for anyone else.
  13. Ina Stanley

Ina Stanley Member

Indeed Wayne! I had a similar day yesterday which I joked with some friends about. But the main thing is that I am really starting to notice how every little bit helps. Just when I think "that didn't yield much of anything" I see referrals from that thing in my analytics. Again, I can sometimes be impatient so analytics help me stay grounded. So far everything I've done has yielded something in some way...even if it's not a huge thing. I tweet, I get more followers. I participate in a few group discussions on LinkedIn a I get some feedback AND a new customer! I join discussions in this and other forums and meet some great people who understand what I'm going through. It all helps, we just have to keep going!
  14. GMT

GMT New Member

I think they don't succeed because they give up too soon. Take this quote to put things in perspective

"90% of first time businesses fail and 90% of second time businesses succeed but 80% of those first time business owners never take a second chance. "
  15. Ina Stanley

Ina Stanley Member

Yes I think you're right GMT, and it's sad. I think people are also just so scared of being scammed, and it's understandable. My rule of thumb is to never invest more than I'm willing to lose. It's served me well these past few years and I find that when something doesn't quite turn out the way I'd like, I'm not too put out by it because I didn't invest more than I was willing to lose. I knew the risk, accepted it and let that be it. And doing ample research can also help.
  16. annadenise

annadenise Member

You are very right about the need to have key members who are hard workers and stay long term. I have achieved residual income and it was through alot of hard work done by me and key people that joined under me. I do earn from people that do a little, but that is a quantity vs. quality. The quality people learn the business and are very independent. These folks are great to work with, we bounce things off each other and you also make some great friends along the way. I love helping people who help themselves.
  17. Ina Stanley

Ina Stanley Member

So do I Denise! They are the ones who help you operate as an efficient, well-oiled machine!
  18. CoastalProfit

CoastalProfit New Member

And never NEVER give up! Quitting is never an option!
  19. Ina Stanley

Ina Stanley Member

Thanks Claudette. Of course I already know that in my mind, but sometimes I find myself wondering if I shouldn't just put the opportunity down with dignity. We all have to be reminded occasionally.