A question about backlinks

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by srama3, Feb 21, 2012.

1. srama3

srama3 New Member

Hey guys [​IMG]

I just have a quick question about analysing the number of backlinks a competitor has.

I have been using SEO spyglass to determine the number of backlinks a competitor has. As I am predominantly concerned about ranking in the google search engine, is it also important to look at the backlinks that the program picks up from different search engines e.g. Alexa?

Thanks you!
  2. estellaeffects

estellaeffects New Member

Hey Srama
    I never used spyglass but I am getting free traffic and sales without all this. I am primarily using commenting and google plus for driving traffic.
  3. srama3

srama3 New Member

oh, awesome! So you aren't trying to rank any websites within the search engines?
  4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

The only time I worry about a competitors backlinks is to see where they come from so I can go get some too. lol
  5. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

mountainmom5: The only time I worry about a competitors backlinks is to see where they come from so I can go get some too. lol

That is a great tip.
    JTGMarketing likes this.
  6. jamess

jamess Member

I do analyze backlinks of my competitors but not really worry about. I just analyze competitor backlinks to check their backlinks strategy
  7. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I absolutely agree. :) It is a great tip and something I've been doing myself for a long while.
  8. gowriter

gowriter Member

At work we use the pro version of SEOMoz's open site explorer to do the same thing. From experience I can tell you that you really don't need to worry that much.

I've seen quite a few sites ranking on the first page of Google that don't have strong domain authority at all and practically NO traffic. Google's Page Rank system is changed about once every 6 months. SEOMoz updates almost...every week, I believe.

So if you're trying to rank, I wouldn't be concerned about the number of links. Instead go after links from a relevant site or blog that already gets traffic and relatively authoritative. Guest posts would work.
  9. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

Well said! Why not get a piece of that pie?
  10. I do this too. lol. I mean you gotta get some piece of the action as well.

But kidding aside, gowriter is right. Focus more on your website and what you need to do to achieve your goals. Do not spend too much time thinking about your competitors.
  11. whitney black

whitney black Member

Yes it's important, because all backlinks count toward your rankings, no matter what search engine lists them. Does that answer your question?
  12. KB24

KB24 Member

I wouldn't really worry about backlinks. You can still do back linking but what google values now is unique content on your site (content that people want to read) and content that will inform them.. If your content is good then it will get shared and tweeted giving you a backlink and somewhat of a "viral" effect to your site. Your site will rise in the search engines doing it this way..

hope this helps.
    Vishal P. Rao likes this.
  13. Bradshaw

Bradshaw New Member

As KB24 said! It's all in your content these days with Google, even though I have had my chosen keywords move up in search engines from the help of backlinking, my best results have come from words within my site content!

It seems Google is making sure people visit the correct sites by doing it this way and trying to filter out the spammers!

Also try to keep updating your site, Google loves fresh content.

Hope this helps.
  14. amenda8998

amenda8998 New Member

I'm currently using SpyGlass... for me there's useless...
    I'd love to get some ideas on great Guest Posting Service Provider.
    Do you guys have any recommendation?