abweber or building a list help

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by robinincarolina, Jun 16, 2009.

1. robinincarolina Silver Member

Ok, I am not sure how to build a list, I have one that just happened from persons contacting via a forum I post on related to my topic, but I would like to build it up and don't know anything about this subject. Is abweber a good tool or would a newbie like me get lost. Any information where I can research this would be appreciated.
  2. getagrip Gold Member

Aweber is a great tool for list building, and it is fairly easy to use. Basically, you create an email course of some kind, then when you are ready, you put in opt in form on your website - Aweber will give you code to do this - all you do is paste it into your HTML. Then, its just a matter of getting traffic.
  3. VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hello robinincarolina ,
    Yes, A Weber is superb!

They offer a lot of helpful information to get you going.

It is best to use this professional service from the beginning as opposed to a free service.
    This will save you from moving your list when it grows.

Victoria
  4. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Robin,

Most marketers either go with AWeber or GetResponse - both great choices. Vishal uses a software program. I can't remember the name of it, but he seems pretty happy with it.

Both AWeber and GetResponse have tutorials on their site. Nothing is difficult about setting it up and using it though of course, it takes a little time to get used to it.

~Newbie Shield~
  5. robinincarolina Silver Member

Thanks, I feel like I need something like this because I may be missing leads, is that correct thinking?
  6. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Robin,

Yes, you're missing out on what is referred to as back end sales.

However, it works best with paid hosting. You place an opt-in form on a standard site or a standard blog. You can do it with some free sites but it won't draw as high a number or as high a percentage of sign-ups.

Free sites are great but paid hosting is more professional.

Paid hosting is a last step though. It's not something to jump into early in the game. It takes a while to learn the theory and rack up some experience via free methods.

Furthermore, if the free site goes down or if you get banned, there goes your opt-in form.

~Newbie Shield~
  7. robinincarolina Silver Member

ok, that raises another question, what is paid hosting, it that like godaddy, as I have already forwarded a few of my sites to a domain?
  8. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Robin,

Yes, GoDaddy offers paid hosting. Some of the other popular services are HostGator, BlueHost, and HostMonster.

Right now you're using free hosting via free blogs and Squidoo. Paid hosting is when you have your own site on a host that charges a monthly fee.

It's the next step for you after you've mastered the basic theory of online marketing and have experimented with free sites for several months.

It's something you'll start to study when you feel that you are ready. It's more difficult than free hosting, but it's also more flexible and you have more control. It's more professional and has a greater income potential.

It's best to know HTML and CSS at minimum before you begin, which is also something you'll want to study fairly soon. You can host a traditional site or a blog.

Along with JVs, creating your own products, and building membership sites, it's an advanced step and it comes later on - after you have a good working knowledge of everything else (mainly theory and a good amount of experience with free methods).

No need to worry about AWeber just yet. You're doing what you're supposed to be doing at this stage and you're doing a good job. It would be premature to try to get into paid hosting right now.

Do it eventually though. Study it hard first or you'll just get frustrated.

If you'd like to take an intermediate route in the near future and have most of the benefits of a standard hosting account without having to know quite so much about coding, look into SBI. You can talk to HappyWife and M5 about it if you like.

That would be a good transition for you.

A good time to do that would be when you feel that you understand the free methods quite well - perhaps toward the end of this year [IMG]

If you go the SBI route, instead of getting a second SBI site, consider learning about standard paid hosting. You might even consider eventually hosting a WordPress blog if you enjoy blogging.

It goes without saying that you should study that first as well - wordpress.org.

I hope that gives you a good idea of where to head in the months to come.

You're doing a great job so far!

~Newbie Shield~
  9. robinincarolina Silver Member

Thank you so much, I have noticed that the sites that I have forwarded to a domain do get more organic traffic, is this a coincedence or is there a reason for this?
  10. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Robin,

You're welcome.

For the most part, I was referring to actually building a site with your paid hosting account. That adds quite a bit of professionalism to a site. Even so, it's not a first step. It comes later (unless you're using SBI).

However, depending upon how your are using forwarding, yes it can help.

It's not that the search engines favor paid domain names over free sites. It's that it looks more professional; readers trust it more. This is partly due to the fact that the name has been paid for. It's also a bit better if it isn't a sub-domain on a free site.

There are exceptions such as free blogs from well established webmasters. They may be authorities, celebrities, or similar.

~Newbie Shield~