Accomplish More Each Day With These 6 Strategies

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Vishal P. Rao, May 15, 2013.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

You wake up in the morning, full of thoughts of all the things you are going to do during the day. Yet, by nighttime, you find that you have not managed to accomplish as much as you expected to. You wonder how time flew so quickly and wish you had more hours in a day. If you can connect with this state of mind, pay attention to this quote from H. Jackson Brown Jr., American bestselling author of Life's Little Instruction Book. He says, "Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein."

As the quote aptly puts across, what we need is not more hours in a day – it is the ability to use the time we have in a wise manner so as to accomplish our goals. When it comes to managing your time, it is as much about doing certain things as about not doing certain things. Here are a few dos and don'ts to help you accomplish more every day.

Make a Daily "To-do" List

Having a clear picture of what you need to do is half the battle won. Every night before you go to bed, make a list of things to do the next day. Prioritize activities; break down bigger jobs into smaller steps and set realistic timelines for each. The next morning, take a look at this list and get to work. Keep the list handy and keep looking at it during the day; tick off the tasks you have completed and track how much you have accomplished.

Sleep and Wake Up Early

What's common to Ernest Hemmingway, Immanuel Kant, Benjamin Franklin, Isaac Newton, Mahatma Gandhi and Dalai Lama? That they achieved great heights in their chosen fields? Yes; but also that they were all early risers. When you sleep early, you can wake up early, and this gives you a few more hours to work on your list. Especially if people around you are still sleeping, it can also give you some precious silence and the ability to focus on your work without interruptions.

Take Timely Decisions

When faced with the need to make a decision, do it as quickly as possible. Answer emails at once with relevant information; if your co-workers or subordinates approach you with a problem, tackle it as early as possible. Keeping things pending is not a solution because it only eats up valuable mental space as well as your time.

Get Organized

If all your time is wasted in looking for things, it isn't surprising you find it difficult to accomplish much. Get organized with your living and working space, clear clutter out and stay more mindful of where you keep things. The same applies to your daily routine, too. Have set times for eating and sleeping; this will help you stay healthy and energetic and a fixed routine allows you to plan your day better.

Keep Distractions Away

Although they are helpful in many ways, electronic gadgets can be a major distraction, too. Perhaps you take just a quick minute to check your email or send a status update through the social media network; but getting back to concentrate on the task on hand can take a few minutes. If you do this about 10 to 20 times in a single day, you lose a significant amount of time. The same applies to other distractions such as chatting with a co-worker or texting or phoning a friend when you are at work. Close your internet browser, put your phone into silent mode, close your office door or put up a "do not disturb" sign and schedule a fixed time of the day to tackle your email and socialize online – you will be surprised at the amount of time you gain each day.

Cut out the Energy Drainers

Watching television is one of the activities we often do on autopilot mode; yet, it is one of the activities that rarely contributes in any meaningful way. Watching news, soaps or celebrity shows is often just a waste of time and may even be an unknown source of negativity. You are definitely better off reading a book or spending time with your family; so cut down on the amount of TV you watch.

Once you begin to adopt these practices, you are bound to see an improvement in the number of things you manage to accomplish each day. However, there is always the likelihood of slipping up without realizing it. Therefore, make it a point each day to spend a few minutes at different times of the day to review how well you have been following these guidelines and if you notice yourself getting back to your old habits, take immediate action. With such an approach, you will truly utilize every one of the 1440 minutes you have in a day; there is no way you will ever again complain about how you wish there were more hours in a day.

payment proof, Just2EZ and A8ch like this.
  2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

This is a very helpful post, Vishal.
    And that's where the power of habit will make or break you. If you develop the will to cultivate only good and productive habits, there is nothing you couldn't accomplish.

Hermas

JTGMarketing and Vishal P. Rao like this.
  3. Thanks for sharing this Vishal. This is very valuable information you have explained here. I like to use a time blocking schedule so I know what task to work on, at what times to work on it, and how long to spend on it. This really helps me manage and keep up-to-date on many task needed to run a business. :)

4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Great post Vishal.

Watching television can be a huge distraction. I try to only do that after I've completed my work for the day. I also keep a To Do List and try to keep my workspace organized as much as possible. As for getting up early, I'm more of a night owl and tend to get so much done in the evening/night when it is quieter.

Thanks for sharing this.

5. DMalloyMoney

DMalloyMoney Member

Good post. But one key thing ALWAYS KEEP FAITH!!

JTGMarketing likes this.
  6. whitney black

whitney black Member

These are amazing tips! When you combine all these together you have a powerful recipe for success. Stay focused and keep going! :)

JTGMarketing likes this.
  7. DMalloyMoney

DMalloyMoney Member

Yea awesome awesome tips

8. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

Thanks for sharing, Vishal! Lots of great advice here. Though, I do admit I've been guilty of sleeping and getting up late. Sometimes I have to burn the midnight oil to finish what I need to to for the day.

9. DMalloyMoney

DMalloyMoney Member

You all are amazing people im learning so much!everyday

10. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

11. Vishal P. Rao

Just think about nature and you'll find it easier to change your habits. Nature sleeps at night and we are part of the nature. Going against the nature will destroy our biorhythms and will affect us in the long run.

JTGMarketing likes this.
  12. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

Good point, Vishal.

13. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Hmm, I'll have to disagree a bit on that one...
    Bats, owls, crickets, cougars, lions, leopards, tigers, raccoons, opossums, skunks, mice, wolves, coyotes,
    are all nocturnal, and of course Foxes among others. Oh and lets don't forget the beautiful fireflies!
    Some of us are nightowls by nature.

Nice thing is, there are 90% less distractions in the night.
    As for the rest of your excellent suggestions, "I'll sleep on it".:sleep:

14. Vishal P. Rao

Agree that they are nocturnal creatures but human beings aren't. All the lions are nocturnal. There aren't some lions who are diurnal. The same holds for all other species. They are either diurnal or nocturnal. Human beings on other hand have tried to change their natural patterns based on the need. Lions and tigers don't do that. They are nocturnal because they need to hunt at night. It's not their choice. However, human beings have a powerful mind, which gives them the power to choose. And thus the ability to go against the nature instead of going with the flow.

That's how I feel :)

15. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

both of you guys have good points. Some people are better during the day, and some people are creatures of the night.

gurpreet tooray likes this.
  16. Jean Givan

Jean Givan New Member

Well-put. The things that jumped out the most to me were the "early to bed, early to rise" mantra. And yes, that "to do" list is definitely a road map to keep me on-point through the day. You hit it on the head with the electronic devices and TV being time-wasters. Plus, organizing things. They all were timely for me. I'm in the midst of implementing all of those things. I'm doing a number of them simultaneously. In my mind, when I saw the title of this post, I kind of anticipated something I thought you'd say, but didn't and that's the need to systematize some of your daily processes. I mean you covered quite a number of good things and of course could NOT cover all. But in my mind, I thought that would be on the list. Not that I was disappointed, not even. Just a glimpse of what happened. I read the post, though and was somewhat inspired because it showed me I'm on the right track.

17. PhilMurphy

PhilMurphy New Member

Great tips Vishal. Productivity is one of my favorite topics - but something I haven't seemed to master yet. Sometimes it is as simple as the old Nike slogan - Just Do It! ... heh.

Vishal P. Rao likes this.
  18. swampqueen32

swampqueen32 Member

Thanks for the tips! I make a "to do list", but sometimes have a problem staying on task.

My biggest problem??? Facebook. I try to make posts on my FB biz page, but invariably end up peeking at my personal page. If I'm not careful, I'll waste valuable time just looking at things that are of no value to my business.

I'm trying to get better by allowing myself 30 minutes in the morning to check FB statuses. After that, I don't even open it in my browser.

Of course, I'm sure this can happen to anyone who's checking personal emails, etc... It's all about self discipline ;)

19. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Here's what I like to do each night right before I go to sleep.

I sit on my bed. It is dark and quiet outside.

I take a piece of paper and pen and think what I should do the next day that will move me forward with my online business. I usually sit there for 10-15 minutes and write down all the tasks that I want to accomplish the very next day.

99.9% of the time, I get all the stuff done. You will not find me "thinking" what to do in the morning when I log into my laptop. I already know what I should be doing.

20. i♥marketing

i♥marketing New Member

Thank you for the information! As far as distractions are concerned. I know ALL about them. I come from a family with ADD history in both my brothers and my father. I have some tendencies but I try my hardest not to let distractions get in the way. I keep my workdesk separate from the things I like to do like sewing, watching tv, and painting. I work at my desktop computer instead of on my laptop in bed, watching tv like I would LOVE to do (currently watching X-Files on netflix)! If I did work from bed I would never get anything done! The list does help a great deal. It keeps me organized and being able to mark off each task makes me feel accomplished! :D