Adding Oats to Dosa

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Vishal P. Rao, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

For those (I guess majority) who don't know what "Dosa" stands for, it's a South Indian cr??pe. This food, high in carbohydrates and proteins, is a typical South Indian breakfast recipe. - wikipedia

Oats have numerous health benefits but not many like eating it in porridge form. You can however soak Oat Bran overnight and add it to the dosa batter the following morning. It hardly makes any difference to the taste (in fact I like it more with Oats added). Regular Oats can also be added to the batter. Soak regular Oats for 2-3 hours and add it to the batter while grinding.

2. mrudula

mrudula New Member

that is a great idea Vishal.
    Will try it next time for my hubby as he hates porridge
    Mrudula

3. Vishal P. Rao

It really turns out great Mrudula. Now we don't like them without Oats!

4. mrudula

mrudula New Member

oh...dat good huh?
    hmm

5. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Vishal,

That sound tasty and healthy. I'll have to see if the wife would like to try it out.

Thanx!

~Newbie Shield~

6. Vishal P. Rao

mrudula: oh...dat good huh?
    hmm

It makes the dosas more fluffy. But don't add too much. You may try initially with 3-4 tablespoons.

7. sashawk

sashawk New Member

May I have your dosa recipe please (you may leave out the secret ingredients if it's a family heir loom of sorts)?

Sasha

8. Vishal P. Rao

Hi Sasha,

Sorry for not getting back to this. I thought of confirming the recipe with my wife before posting here and then totally forgot!

Here's a basic Oats Dosa recipe:

1 measure black gram
    2 1/2 - 3 measure Dosa rice of ordinary rice
    1/4 measure Oats

Soak all the three separately for 4-6 hours and then grind them together to a smooth paste. You can add little water if the batter is very thick. It should not be too thick and not too runny. Allow the batter to ferment for 6-8 hours. What we do here is grind the ingredients at about 8 pm and then allow it to ferment overnight (22-26?°C). The time to ferment depends on where you are residing. Lower the temperature, longer the fermentation time required.

Once we are finished with the Dosa preparation, we keep the remaining batter in the refrigerator to prevent further fermentation and souring.

I can assure you that you would be lucky if the dosa turns out well the first time [​IMG] You'll need to experiment a number of times (with consistency/fermentation time) until you get it right.