Advice Needed On Choosing A Tablet

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by happywife, May 6, 2013.

1. happywife Gold Member

Heading back to the States for a visit in a few weeks and would like to buy a tablet while I'm there (prices are a lot cheaper). I've never had one before and not sure what all the differences are and which is the best one to choose. Hoping to get some input from those of you who've "been there and done that" and can point me in the right direction.

I always here people talk about Kindle and Androids and Ipads, etc. I do want to be able to read (or listen to) ebooks as I travel. I want something compact, and possibly even be able to check email or play a word game or something.

I've tried to "google" suggestions and advice and based on my research so far it seems like maybe the Nexus 7 might be the best option for the money, if I'm understanding the technology and options correctly (though there's a good chance I'm NOT!). :)

Anyone using ereaders or tablets and willing to share their experiences?

Thanks in advance,
    Angie
  2. payment proof Member

I think an Ipad is the best. It certainly isn't the cheapest. But you'll end up with something that is basically a fully functional touch screen PC.

If you're looking for something that will allow you to do a variety of different things online, I'd vote for an Ipad as being the way to go. Sometimes paying the extra money for functionality and quality is worth it.
  3. happywife Gold Member

I do have a friend that owns an iPad and I had a little play with it when I was visiting her a few months ago. It's tempting for sure, but they really are pricey for what I would probably use it for. I guess I'll have to decide if I really want to splurge or if I'll be quite content with a more affordable option that does what I need it to do. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions. ;)

Thanks for the input.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  4. Joan New Member

Kindle has a new larger tablet out and it seems to have a great resolution (as good as iPad). It's about half the price of iPad.
  5. happywife Gold Member

Thanks Joan. I'll take a look at that option, too.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  6. whitney black Member

I've never used one personally, but my advice is..go with something that's a good balance between performance and cost..the cheapest will not be the best obviously..go for mid range price that will also be decent quality. Good luck :)