Advice on how to determine a scam from a opportunity please?

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by luciegal, Sep 13, 2010.

1. luciegal

luciegal New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm really new at this and i'm trying to learn as much as i can about online opportunities. I was just kinda looking for advice or comments about what's out there and what to look for. I know alot of people do this kind of stuff and i'm just looking to see what's out there. I hear alot of people get scamed so if you know of any site to avoid, that would also be of some help.

Thanks for the information everyone.
    [​IMG]
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Best way to not get scammed is to educate yourself - which is what you are doing.[​IMG]

And bear in mind that just because someone ELSE labeled something a scam, doesn't mean that it IS one.

There is a ton of 'education and learning' tools out there but nothing is a silver bullet to success.[​IMG]
  3. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Yes, you have to beware of those that failed at something labeling it a scam, because of their own failure.

Now there may be things that are excessively hyped and can't really deliver as promoted, but that in and of itself doesn't make it a scam.

So the answer to the question isn't as simple as you may have thought.
  4. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

One of the best ways to see if an opportunity is a scam or not is to see what others have to say about it although some times a good opportunity may be thrashed and told that it is not that good from some people while others like it.

I see it like this. If you buy something online and the person just takes your money and runs without giving anything, that is a scam.

Here is a scam that you need to be aware of:

The Nigerian Scam

Mail order

Pyramid schemes ( I am not referring to network marketing because it is legit.) A pyramid scheme is where there are no products involved and the only way that is moving between people is money. That is a pyramid scheme.

Tal
  5. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

There are actually very little scams going on online compared to what people think.

People just call it a scam when it doesn't work for them. Lots of things are hyped up, so try not to use emotion when making a purchase.

If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

If you find something you are considering, post it on this forum and we can help you identify what the program is about, and what you will be doing.

You can also do google searches to try and find some good info.

Keep us posted.

Matt
  6. luciegal

luciegal New Member

wow, thanks for the good info guys. it's truely apreciated. I currently joined clickbank and am trying to learn as much as i can about it. Your thaughts about clickbank would be nice. [​IMG] I mean, i'm not trying to make a fortune, just looking to learn something new.
  7. luciegal

luciegal New Member

I'm also having a hard time understanding how to choose good keywords so any advice about that would be nice too.

P.s. All the good information that you guys are giving me, i will someday hopefully be able to help someone else so thanks in advance.
  8. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Hey,

Clickbank is a great legitimate site for getting paid to market other people's products.

What do you need keywords for specifically?

Choose long very specific to who it is you are marketing to keywords =]... It also depends on where you are advertising though.

First, pick a product.

Second, decide who your target market is.

Third, choose your very targeted keywords.

Fourth, create a pre sales website. I recommend using wordpress to do this. Just make a nice long post about your product you are promoting and how you feel about it. Talk about their pain and how it solves their pain and how it works for you. (of course don't lie). Make sure to include your keywords in here.

Fifth, write articles promoting your pre sales website! =].

And on that pre sales website have a place for them to put in their name and email and click to see more. (which brings them to the official sales page AND adds them to your email list for future mailings!

I recommend using GVO as a webhost because it includes autoresponder functionality and is VERY easy to set up wordpress. You can also host unlimited websites and make money off referring people to it.

I am more than happy to help you get things going if you want to take a route like this.

Private message or email me anytime.

Matt

Edit: If you want a REALLY good book for learning how to start off with affiliate marketing and don't mind spending a couple dollars.. I recommend one week marketing plan. It is a great book for getting started. I believe mountainmom5 has a link to it in her sig file. Or you can google it.
  9. luciegal

luciegal New Member

thanks for the info. i'm gonna go check out the book.

thanks a bunch
  10. Good question,

The easiest way to determine a questionable business is to ask yourself one simple question. Would I be purchasing this product or service without the business opportunity attached? Most if honest, will say NO with almost all online businesses.

People are all looking for value these days given the economic collapse and recession which is never ending, so research only recession proof businesses since these do not require as much sales experience to promote.

Avoid companies which mandate you must pay before you play, as in up front fees just to become an affiliate, agent or distributor. Almost all which mandate a fee are scams. Mandatory purchases goes back to the first question, would you purchase product without the opportunity?

Of course, the old if it sounds too good to be true question we all hear all the time. Most are not true, but always do your own due diligence, there are some surprisingly good opportunities you might miss if you don't research them all, even the too good to be true deals.

Success to all,
  11. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I have been doing this a year but I am still very very green. I too follow a lot of the one week marketing plan. It's simple and it works.

Clickbank has tons of products you can promote.

As far as programs that are scams, well I get tons of opportunities in my inbox daily as I have signed up for information on many a site. I have never purchased the first thing. A lot of what I learned, I learned here on this forum.
  12. chilli271

chilli271 New Member

If there is 1 thing that I have learnt online so far, that is, to educate yourself first. Even if you signed up for a clickbank account, that don't make any difference. You will still need a product to promote and then find a ton of traffic, because seriously, The only way your gonna make any real money online is to first do the research. educate yourself and learn the buisness back to front..

Anyways I hope That Make Sense....
  13. Kieran80

Kieran80 New Member

Always do your homework. Research Research and Research in forums such as these even if you do trust your own "gut."
  14. BusyBee23

BusyBee23 New Member

Check the company out with the BBB to make sure they have a good rating. Also, steer clear of the get-rich-quick schemes, you know, the ones that promise you'll make $1000/a day! LOL
  15. westfam11

westfam11 Member

A good site to check out is http://imreportcard.com. You can look up a product or the person who developed the program.

This has helped me when deciding whether to purchase a tool or service that was sent to me in an e-mail by someone. They are graded A to F. It was helpful I was considering purchasing something.
  16. frosties1

frosties1 New Member

I agree with mountainmom5 and matt. There are scams out there, but there are MANY opportunities also. The one thing thing that people misunderstand is that its easy and it takes a jiffy. Money making in any manner takes time. You have to follow through.
    I have had lots of success with trading - and I have worked hard at it.

This forum has lots of useful information and posts.

Pm me anytime if you have any questions. Good luck.