Affiliates: Don't make this mistake

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by talfighel, Jan 29, 2011.

1. talfighel Silver Member

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post here really quick and tell everyone here who is an affiliate for other products that are promoted online.

You can not do this.

You can not promote products that pay you only ONCE. You have got to find products that can pay you a residual or recurring type of commissions.

This is a *BIG* factor you need to consider before you join ANY affiliate program.

If you are not promoting products that pay you not once, but on a monthly basis, you are missing out on BIG commissions.

Tal
  2. Tal,

Aren't most of the recurring commissions in the IM niche?
  3. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Barb Thornback: Aren't most of the recurring commissions in the IM niche?
    from what I have found that is true of you want to tackle the extremely competetive niche of IM or WAH stuff.

I choose to pick less competitive niches for now.[IMG]
  4. doncross New Member

Well talfighel,i don't think that rule applies all the time.Most times,the one time commission programs are easy to convert and once a buyer cancels his subscription;the residual commissions stop coming.Going by your theory,that means promoting amazon products is a waste of time.Is it?
  5. robinincarolina Silver Member

I do both! I make a good income from the one time sales. It depends on the product. If it's a problem that will always be around and you have information to fix it that never fails, well that over and over one time sale is pretty stable.
  6. Christian New Member

I agree with RobininCarolina,

I do both and have great success. I never think
    that you should "put all of your eggs in one
    basket".

What if the residual income program you are
    promoting closes down. Than you have to start
    all over again.
  7. talfighel Silver Member

Barb Thornback: Tal,

Aren't most of the recurring commissions in the IM niche?

Yes, most of them are. I am not sure which other niches have this. If anyone can share this with the rest of us here, let us know.

Tal
  8. onedumbaussie New Member

There are a few Niches that I know of with residual payments, There is the Green Niche or environment. It gets good traffic but very fickle buyers.

Health niche has loads of them both tangible and electronic products. Ever heard of mosquito patches?

There are a Lot of software ones too, like anti-virus, reg cleaners etc.

I have also recently seen one in the Television niche that pays on monthly basis. Small commissions though.

The best way to get Monthly paying commissions is to use a product that is either subscription based or is consumable so needs replacing. A Big hello to my MLM friends at this point.

Remember though you will get drop outs so you still need to find newbies coming in to cover them and also add growth.

Great advice Tal, I think back to all the single sales that could have been more, I probably would be typing this from Hamilton island or something.

Thanks for the advice and I hope my 2 cents is value for money.

ODA
  9. bhuff85 New Member

I would say the most important thing is to build a list in your niche. That way, they are a customer for life and will buy from you until they decide to stop.

Recurring commission products are great, but they can be limited at times. Stick to building a list and feed them with QUALITY information so that when you ask for the sale, it'll be a no-brainer.
  10. JohnRobertson New Member

There is money to be made in all of the areas mentioned in this thread, and none are necessarily any better than another - there are just too many factors to consider.

That said, try them out and find what works best for you.

Whatever it is you promote, i'm in agreement with Bhuff85, build a list from everyone!
  11. jazbo New Member

One off payments are a mistake???

Erm, I promote software that nets me $100 q sale. Thats a one off commission, but that's a lot easier than scrapping around for $10 a month recurrings.
  12. vinmann New Member

It is wise to choose products from both type of commission structures. Choose, depending upon the commission rate. Dating sites are the best for repeat commissions. For one time commission you can select a big ticket item from a niche with less competition, but with more demand.
  13. ThePhoenix New Member

I think you can be pretty successful with one-time purchases, but you're definitely right: There is a lot more potential with these kinds of affiliate programs. That's why membership sites are so profitable to run, because you have a recurring stream of income every month.
  14. westfam11 Member

I think the idea of promoting something that is
    consumable is a great idea. But it does have to
    be a good product and one that works or they
    will not be reordering.
  15. markdudek New Member

It's down to personal choice, and whatever you feel comfortable doing. Bear in mind it takes the same amount of effort to promote a one-off payment product as it does to promote a recurring income product. Personally, I'd go for recurring income products on that basis, but as Jazbo said earlier, one-off is great if it's high value! Again, it takes about the same amount of effort to promote a low-value product as a high-value one, so do some homework before diving in.

Whatever you do, quality is king. Before you promote, ask yourself if you would buy or subscribe to the product. If you wouldn't buy it, then don't expect anyone else to. Conversely, if it's a really good product and one you believe in you will have a much easier job of convincing others.

Kind Regards to All,
    Mark.
  16. anthony2313 New Member

When it comes to recurring affiliate products some of the best products to promote are Autoresponders, Website Hosting (commissions for years), Website Shopping carts (1shoppingcart, infusionsoft)