Arcade sites

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Dr_Boo, May 22, 2009.

1. Dr_Boo New Member

Hi All,
    I saw a thread in the Work at Home Dads forum that mentioned arcade sites as an online moneymaking venture (with the money coming mainly from Adsense ads and the like). The more I looked into it, the better it was sounding to me.

Anyone here have experience with arcade sites? I have fairly extensive experience *playing* on them when the boss isn't around, but setting one up is another story. I did some research and think that buying a reasonably priced script and game pack(s) would be the way to go, but I'm unsure which one would give the best "bang for the buck".

I don't know much about attracting traffic or marketing a website, but I figure a good start would be a unique and catchy domain name and posting flyers on a few college bulletin boards. I live close to Stanford and several other major universities, so that might be a good way to get the word out on the streets, so to speak.

Any thoughts?
  2. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Boo,

I can't help you on which script to pick out specifically. You'll have to poke around on the net and find out whatever you can.

As far as choosing a domain name, "catchy" alone usually fails. Just ask anyone who's tried it. You'll want to pick a domain addy that also happens to have some search demand. But, you'll have to pick one has low competition as well. Use this free tool to figure it out:

www.thirtydaychallenge.com

Learn to promote your site via article marketing, press releases, sig posting in forums, blog commenting, using a Squidoo lens, etc...

Read around on this forum and read some make money online sites for a while before you step into the action phase.

Good luck,

~Newbie Shield~
  3. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Newbie Shield: It takes several months just to begin to have a fair grasp of the basics.
    That should be part of the heading on this forum so that everyone would see it on every page... it is just so true.

While I feel sorry for folks that are losing jobs and houses and understand the desperation to make money somehow, with online stuff, we were ALL there at one point, and had to go thru the learning curve.

There is simply no silver bullet and no escaping the learning curve of online marketing....

There - I'll get off my soapbox now.[IMG]
  4. sitefrontcom New Member

running any off-the-shelf script or turn-key website will be extremely difficult to succeed in, why? because there are already litterally 1000s of sites similar to yours out there, it would be hard for you to just come in a beat them all, especially without any web dev knowledge or internet background to customize your site so it's unique and to attract visitors

BUT, if arcade sites sounds interesting to you, try googling 'turn key websites' and you will find hundreds of opportunities to setup instant websites, such as clones of facebook, youtube, etc... but like I said, it will be hard to succeed
  5. getagrip Gold Member

There are a lot of affiliate marketers who take do earn a lot of money online with the "Gaming" market. You can do everything from covering game strategies to marketing video game consules, such as Nintendo Wii, so there is definately a great deal of opportunity in this area.