Are two MLM's better than One?

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by JanHickling, Feb 7, 2011.

1. JanHickling

JanHickling New Member

There are so many great MLM companies with great products. And I am often asked to "check this out", not only for the products but as a business. Any thoughts on how many MLM's you can work at the same time and be successful?

My primary business is a MLM company; the right leg - left leg build a down-line and promote the products kind of business. The other business's I promote pay a monthly commission for my referrals. This is fine by me too. Somebody is using the service and I'm paid - no balancing legs and no team. It's pretty simple and easy money. And the main reason I am involved with these companies is their service supports my primary team to build their business. They are the stepping stones I show my team to succeed in our primary business. The procedure is easy for them to duplicate and everybody starts getting monthly commission on top of the residual.

I think I would loose my focus, my momentum and do my team a great disservice if I was trying to pull this off with two MLM's.

What about everybody else? I'd like to get your opinion.

Thanks - Jan
  2. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Absolutely multiple leverage of networking makes sense.

Too many people try and land the next Amway, Avon, Herbalife, and you simply can't see the future. What we can control is our diversification. Putting all your eggs in one basket with an opportunity is the same as just having a job and waiting to get laid off. Companies can and do go through many changes, they don't necessarily have to go out of business but they could change management, the complan, or products/service to your dis-liking and all your efforts could be nullified. So diversifying your network is wisdom.

The thing is most people that do this are scattered in their involvements in various network marketing opportunities that they come off as such to new prospects.

However when done right or effectively it can create a powerful multiple residual income stream.
  3. weebitty

weebitty Member

I would agree with FreeCashMan. I have been involved with companys that have changed their comp plan and it wasn't to our advantage at all. So all the efforts I had given lost their momentum. I gave it up because I couldn't feel good about the business anymore.

So yes you do need to diversify your business's just like they tell you to diverify your stock portfolio. Same exact principal. We have all come to the realization that the job isn't what it once was.
  4. ScottCofer

ScottCofer Member

I would advise against it. It's hard enough to find success with one, let alone multiple opportunities. Think about it - what would you say to some one that wants to know about your home business? Which one do you pick to tell them about? Not the type of image you want to put forward ...
  5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Many MLMs have rules against cross recruiting, check the rules first.
    Some, like Life Force, even have 1 year non-compete clauses.

On the other hand, some MLMs can be complementary to each other.
    It the products don't compete and serve the same market it can work.
    If you have to focus on separate teams and markets it gets harder.

I always recommend MULTIPLE STREAMS OF INCOME.
    mountainmom5 likes this.
  6. JanHickling

JanHickling New Member

FreeCashMan
    thanks for your imput - I never thought of my MLM changing hands That could cause a problem. Curious - what type of product groupings do you think would be a good combo?
    Jan
  7. weebitty

weebitty Member

Jan, I would suggest looking into some and seeing what works. They don't have to be alike in nature per say. We teach build one and get it going good then feed into others. [​IMG]

All having residual income is important.

All are simple and easy to understand, and affordable for average person.

Some don't take a stadium full of people before you make any money.

These are just a few ideas for you to consider. also they don't have to all be product driven autoships or you will wind up with your garage looking like a store! LOL
  8. mtran2000

mtran2000 New Member

I would not even attempt 2 MLM's until you are successful with one.

Mark
  9. yahia

yahia Member

Absolutely. Here is why:

Each company is supposed to provide training, two different trainings are better than one.

One MLM is like betting all your money on one horse, two are safer.

Even if you can't cross promote, if one is not working for well for you or your downline drop it and invite your downline to join you in the other.
  10. globalmentor

globalmentor New Member

The answer is 'NO'.

Most of the replies above are closer to true than not & meant well. However, your question is broad & deserves a broader response & careful considerations into areas not yet addressed so far.

Most of these type of questions can be answered by reading the rules, reversing the roles & applying moral and ethics.

Forget Opinions & look at the rules set by your company and talk to your upline members- all of them! Read the Terms & Conditions of your Company's Policy on the subject and you will find your answer. If they do not address your question, then you would then have to wonder why not.

The reason is, 'you're part of a team'. From the day you enroll, you agree to grow the company & be part of a team. What you do or don't do effects the Company, you and your upline. Your team is part of your sponsor's & their upline's. If you are not focused on building The TEAM, then Chaos will ensue & you have to be willing to lose it all- and you could. I've seen it happen multiple times with several companies over the years. All company's sales are down and now more than ever, they need team players.

Reverse the roles. ~CHANGE YOUR VIEW POINT~

What if you were the company, or your upline? Do professionals work for one company during the day, then another at night? (NO)... Part-timers do, those without a profession or responsibility to GROW the Company. Terms of employment cover this very well. Try getting a job at Boeing & a night-job at NASA. It's a conflict. You'll loose both jobs if they ever found out.

People have a tendency to do what you do. If you instill focus, then change it, that is actually a lack-of-focus and you are responsible for the result. What if each of your downline 'Team Members' each had a separate venture you were not part of; yet you are obligated to help train & support them. Example: if you have a training day on developing & contacting leads & they in turn apply this training to the other ventures that you are not part of, not your primary, then you lose. They end up using you for your expertise and you're not compensated for your leadership.

Resources are Limited: Time, Money and Energy/Focus are all linked to success.

If they are scattered, so is the result. Unless you are at a career-replacing income-level , say 100k/YR or better, then this should not even be a question in your mind. And, if you have not grown an income to this level with one company even once, then why would you want to try to do two or three at the same time? Chances are you do not have the skill or expertise to do so successfully. Any "Resource" you divert from the Team Effort will not grow your business, be it time, money, energy or focus. Imagine trying to start a pizza business and a sporting goods store at the same time. Who does that? The average person working from home is already scared, broke & frustrated. The likelihood that you add to that with multiple opportunities exists and you may could appear to them that you are only devoted to your pocket content. Don't expect everyone to hold your belief, or to have your time, energy or financial recourses to build & operate multiple businesses... in the beginning or any time. Most successful folks will likely encourage you to pick a direction, get laser focused, dig-in & do not give up.

If the company you chose goes defunct and you have been successful leading your group with integrity, having their interests at heart, you can easily replace your income with a new opp by bringing them with you. But so can your upline. If you have been scattered & unfocused or a Team-Player only when it benefited you, you're probably not going to get a call in the event they found a great opp elsewhere. The moral of this story is to "Be the sponsor that others will trust now & forever".

Building: "Multiple Streams of Income": Acceptable ways for beginners.
    These streams include sales commissions, one and two tier compensation plans. They are generally referral compensations plans, not MLM's. [Anything over a 2-tier is considered MLM & have different laws, rules & expectations applied to them.] Banners, hot links in content, publications as EBooks on your website or Blog are all acceptable.

Multiple Streams can be accomplished this way:- Provide tools & training!
    If your team-development calls for a lead capture system to accomplish a goal or fill a void, 'SOME' of your team will have the skill and money resources to go that direction. AWEBER is a good example. If a team member wants an AutoResponder, there is nothing wrong with them purchasing Aweber from you in their Affiliate Program, especially if your team member needs and wants your help setting it up. You should be paid for doing so. AWEBER will send you a commission plus a monthly residual, as will many other companies.

SUMMARY

There are Terms with most companies regarding participation in multiple/simultaneous MLM organizations. Your upline has a vested interest in what you do or do NOT do. If you believe there is a moral/ethical conflict, then their probably is. If your skill set reflects a lack of ability to create 100k/yr, then building two dowlines makes no sense & will likely damage your credibility. Provide your team tools and training. Be compensated for that, it's okay. In turn, you are leading by example showing them how to morally & ethically generate referral income from a 'downline'... this is the essence of Affiliate Marketing; building a circle of influence.

Good luck, Best Wishes. I Hope You & Others Find This Thought Provoking.
  11. JanHickling

JanHickling New Member

Just2EZ
    curious - what would you consider complimentary yet not competing types of bus. Interesting idea to explore
    Jan
  12. JanHickling

JanHickling New Member

globalmentor
    Thank you David - I really appreciate you taking the time for a detailed answer.
    I've enjoyed reading the different thoughts on this and look forward to any others that come up too
    Jan
  13. FreeCashMan

The answer i certainly not an absolute "NO", I contend it is completely void of "NO".

Why because, one it makes sense. No one puts all their money into one stock called "Enron" and hope to ride it into retirement. And yes Enron stock is no more, and that would be the point.

No you don't have to be some big earner to start diversifying your income streams, so that assertion is like stating that I should wait until my retirement fund hits i.e. $10,000 before I diversify it for protection of lost.

Yes focus is important, but focus on what? One company, one dream, one email away from "we are closed due to unforeseen circumstances". Been there, done that, know better.

If you've ever lost a downline of hundreds, like I did, let alone thousands, due to the company's mismanagement that killed the momentum and excitement, along with people's belief in networking success, I don't think anyone every experiencing such could ever assert focusing on one company and "keep your fingers crossed". This is simply old school thinking, even without such experience.

Here's the secret to success in mlm for the average person that actually gets some sort of network established. Your long term success is NOT in any one company no matter how great, no matter if it last a life-time, your success is in your network.

He who understand that shall soon find themselves in position of "Making" network marketing work for them, versus "Getting" network marketing to work for them-There Is A Difference.

I'd rather have a 100K coming in from 10 different companies, than a ONLY $100K coming in from one company, that between going to sleep and waking up in the morning I could find myself without income coming in. Ask any of the many laid off folks now wishing they'd used wisdom to have done just a little something for self when they had more drive and desire.

How can one say to a person that is working a job, you need to pursue your own income stream - diversify, and then say, that you only need to pursue one home business for generating additional income. It's a contradiction, and a set up for potential failure or the same lack of a safety net.

Multiple income streams can be accomplished various ways and helping your team get the right tools for success is A way but not the only way, as everyone on the team won't need those tools or want them.

Sorry but there is a lack of sound judgment to say "NO" to multiple mlms or other home income streams. Most of us can walk and chew gum at the same-time.

Maybe you'll land the next "big one", and maybe you won't, fact is in the beginning you don't know. I'd rather plan for not having the next big one and find out later I did, but still covered my bet. It's called risk management.
  14. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

JanHickling: curious - what would you consider complimentary yet not competing types of bus. Interesting idea to explore
    Jan
    Well first off, I like David's advice on that, tools and training can be MLM.
    Providing marketing tools like autoresponders or webhosting can be MLM.
    If you recruit them into the training first and the business second some MLMs allow it.
    Trying to sell your downline on something unrelated is fruitless.

On the other hand, if you are selling exercise programs and pain relief together...
    It was just a thought for discussion, not something I have a clue about.
  15. FreeCashMan

JanHickling: I never thought of my MLM changing hands That could cause a problem. Curious - what type of product groupings do you think would be a good combo?
    True Jan, most of us as a result of societal conditioning have never considered income stream diversification, this why so many chase and give their livelihood to a job only, and this has carried over into home business building.

First understand that cross recruiting is not tolerated by any company, but that is different than referring your own referrals of one business to another. That's not cross recruiting.

What combo. Well I think you can focus product end, but not my general preference, or you can focus business/income side of things.

To avoid appearing to be "all over the place" just try and have things that gel and make sense for a particular reason. You might be offering fruit from a food company, and fruit baskets from a basket company, and plastic containers from Tupperware [​IMG]

You could also, as is my preference, have a flow of where income with one source is able to provide the means for another that easily fits the existing network in that other company with little complications giving more people easier access to multiple income stream with a systematic approach, something I already do and recommend.

The challenge with getting your initial network going remains, but waiting to build up a large network in one company to "make it big" remains an endless chase that few will ever accomplish. There's power in diversifying a small network and peaceful sleep with diversified income streams.
  16. mtran2000

mtran2000 New Member

Very few are successful in one MLM much less 2 or more. Become successful in one before considering joining another.

Mark
  17. JanHickling

JanHickling New Member

Just2EZ
    exercise and pain relief? How about weight loss and candy?

Jan
  18. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

JanHickling: weight loss and candy
    They have weight loss lolipops so that sounds feasible.
    Combined with PX90 or something like that might work.
  19. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

Jan, Globalmentor hit the nail right on the head with this one.
  20. KarenSmith67

KarenSmith67 New Member

JanHickling

Hi Jan-

I think you have brought up an interesting point. It seems as though a lot of people are doing more than one business. Some are doing a primary business, while also doing something like affiliate marketing.

I myself enjoy having mutiple streams of income and the business model that I use has three different business's in one model, if that makes any sense. Instead of only having one MLM, I have three. I like this, because if one company goes under, I still have income streams and there will be another business to take the ones place that went under.

I have NEVER been able to focus on more than one MLM at a time, however the system I am in now allows me to provide three different opportunities within one system. I could not see myself selling supplements for two different business's.

It is likley that people are doing it, as I do not think it is impossible, but I would think that doing business with more than one supplement MLM would be difficult to accomplish.

If a person can make a go of working with several MLM's, then by all means give it a shot.