Article writing tips?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by AMcCoy, Jan 16, 2011.

1. AMcCoy

AMcCoy New Member

Hello! I am new to marketing, and have been trying to read and learn as much as I can. SO thank you all for your helpful comments/threads. Right now I am trying to concentrate on writing blogs, and i know from reading that the best way to start out getting traffic (free) to my website you have to write alot of blogs, which is okay for me! But, how can I wrote 100 articles? and i have been using google for keywords! I have wrote like 6 and am running out of stuff to write about. If anyone could help me out it would be very appreciated. I have posted on squidoo, ezine, goArticles so far.

THANKS!!! [​IMG]
  2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

When you say writing blogs, do you mean creating one blog around a specific subject or literally creating many different blogs?

If you are determined to create a blog instead of a regular website, it would be best if you just started with one blog around a subject that you enjoy.

When you do your keyword research, you will choose many different phrases related to that specific subject (niche) and then just write articles (blog posts) on each phrase.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be. Just imagine that someone has asked you a question about that particular phrase and then write out your answer as if you were explaining it to a friend. That might make 100 articles seem a lot less daunting. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  3. JesseK

JesseK New Member

Hi there, writing articles is a great way to get free traffic to your site. If you however are wanting to create a lot of useful content for your site then you might want to consider using articles on your blogs which other people have written rather than just using your own content. This is a great way of getting a lot of content quickly!

If you decide that you would like to go that route then visit a article website like go articles, search for an article you would like to use. Copy it to your blog and that's it. There are just a couple of rules that you need to be aware of before doing this, the most important being:

1. Articles must be published "as is" and you must include the full Author Bio at the end of the article.
    2. URLs in the authors resource box must remain linkable and no changes should be made to any anchored text or hyperlink.

For more information you can visit: http://goarticles.com/publisher.html.

Hope that helps!
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

JesseK: Hi there, writing articles is a great way to get free traffic to your site. If you however are wanting to create a lot of useful content for your site then you might want to consider using articles on your blogs which other people have written rather than just using your own content. This is a great way of getting a lot of content quickly!
    This will help you get a lot of content quickly, but it won't help you get a lot of free visitors.

To get your site indexed and listed high on the search results page for each main keyword on your blog/site, you need to provide unique content to the search engines, not copied content from others.

When starting out, this is not a good foundation to lay for your blog/site.

Blessings,
    Angie
  5. AMcCoy

AMcCoy New Member

Thanks so much for the tips!! I have a website that is money making niche. So I am trying to get traffic to my website by writing blogs. People say to write like 100 blogs to get get noticed, because if I only write a few then pointless?

Thanks Angie! I will definitely try the questions thing! That could help me get more content!! [​IMG] I picked something that has content but not a lot of stuff to write about, so after I get as many articles as I can wrote for this website, then next time I will pick something with more information. lol [​IMG]

Thanks again!!!!!
  6. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Yikes, Ashley! You picked one of the toughest niches to start with. [​IMG]

I'm fearful that you are not following good advice. Blogs are time sensitive type things. If you don't continue to keep adding fresh content or blog posts to a blog, it will just fade off into oblivion.

Do you know how difficult it is going to be to "manage" 100 blogs (or even 10)? That's a lot to keep up with.

What program or "how to" are you following, if you don't mind me asking?

It's no wonder you are going to have trouble writing lots of content about this niche if you are just starting out. You won't be able to write easily about something you haven't done or experienced.

I wouldn't suggest someone tackle the money making niche until they have already succeeded making money online. They can then use their experience and knowledge to help others by promoting the methods that they have used.

Is your website a "cookie cutter" site that was provided for you and is identical to hundreds (maybe thousands) of others? I hate to be the voice of doom or discouragement, but I also hate to see people running around in circles and using their energies for something that is going to be a waste of their time. [​IMG]

If that's the type of site you are trying to promote.... it's definitely not a good use of your time.

I'm not saying you won't make ANY money with it, because you may get lucky and get a few sales, but it's not likely that you will be building a long term sustainable income with this method.

Blessings,
    Angie
  7. AMcCoy

AMcCoy New Member

Angie,
    Can I send you a private message on here?
    Thanks [​IMG]
  8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Ashley,

Sure. Better yet, you can just email me via one of my sites. Like angie (at) angieberg (dot) com, if you like. Makes it a bit easier since the forum mail box has a load limit. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  9. AMcCoy

AMcCoy New Member

Angie,
    Ok great!! I sent one that just says Angie? Just make sure its you.
    [​IMG]
  10. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Got it! Sorry for the delay. I got a phone call. [​IMG]
  11. AMcCoy

AMcCoy New Member

Great! No worries! I understand! [​IMG]
  12. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Got your letter and sent you a response. I guess we can now safely let this thread get back on topic. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  13. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

You are in great hands AMcCoy, with Angie - she is honest and very helpful. [​IMG]
  14. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

AMcCoy: But, how can I write 100 articles?
    The simple answer is to write one article at a time, on one subject at a time.

Here's one approach you could use.

Say your niche is about dressing for success in the workplace. Jot down a list of the 20 common mistakes people make when choosing workplace attire.

Of course this will vary according to the nature of the job and the culture of the workplace, and that will give you a rich source of material to draw from.

Then simply write a separate article describing each mistake, pointing out the pitfalls and explaining what to do to avoid the fashion faux pas.

That'll account for 20 articles.

Hermas
  15. bhuff85

bhuff85 New Member

I generally create my own templates to follow. While I don't use them all of the time, templates help me when I'm in a funk and need a little boost in creativity or a direction to be guided in.

Other than that, just put your head down and start typing away. Just gotta keep at it and you'll be able to write quality articles better and faster.

As they say, practice makes perfect (or close to it, anyway).
  16. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix New Member

I used to do what I would call "Power Hours", where I would just sit down and write articles with no distractions. I could get between 9 and 11 articles out in this time, which is pretty good.

For getting ideas, you can find them by reading relevant articles at any article directory. My technique is to read an article really fast, find the key points, and then incorporate them into my own article. With these kinds of articles, it only matters that the words are unique, and not the semantic content.
  17. SDEntrepreneur

SDEntrepreneur New Member

If you have trouble coming up with ideas on writing articles, then do this.

Set up separate GMail account. Set up Google Alerts for the keywords that would be related to those articles. You will get daily notification of other peoples content and articles out there.

DO NOT copy other peoples content. This will just give you ideas about things you can write about. It helps with writers block and by using this method, I can easily write several articles/blogs per day.
  18. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I subscribe to Newsletters within my niche. I get about 10 a day and they usually are full of information that gives me ideas for new articles. I too am in a very competitive niche.

I write a lot like I am talking. I don't stress too much on getting everything exactly right, but more of an easy conversation.

I recently purchased an article spinner and submitter although I swore I never would. It takes your article and rewrites it and submits it to other sites within your niche. I have noticed an increase in traffic and in sales, but I haven't really been using it enough to come up with accurate analysis yet.
  19. Viksen Media

Viksen Media New Member

I think you're mainly focusing on SEO. As a writer, I concentrate more on trying to connect with my readers. SEO, though effective, is a superficial way to get people interested in your blogs. But if you seek first to get readers by writing interesting stuff, then you might just get a lot of attention. SEO is too much generic writing. You need to combine both intelligent writing and keywording.

You can try doing 100 blogs at a time, but I doubt you can do it all by yourself. I used to write 15 blogs in one day and it was terribly exhausting.

If you can promote with affiliate products or services outside of Adsense, even better.

Blogging is extremely easy if you think ahead of the time, organize your topics, schedule (pre-post), use highly relevant keywords, and submit, twitter, or ping your articles.

Some strategies are just getting old, so always look for something new that other bloggers are trying.

Viksen M.
  20. chukky27

chukky27 New Member

The important thing is not the number of articles or blogs you write, but the quality of them. People love great quality about relevant topics.

When looking for ideas, take your keyword or keyword phrase and put it in the free google keyword tool. It will give you a list of similar keywords that people are searching for. You can then use these to come up with ideas to write about.

As described in one of the posts above, I also use "Power Hours" where I will sit down and write several articles at once. Then I'll take another day and submit several of those articles. That way I am not trying to write and submit at the same time. This works well for me. And it gives me time to come up with new ideas to write about.

Also, just remember, when you are writing for your blog, you don't have to write a book to have great content. Sometimes just a small paragraph of some important tip or advice is all the readers are looking for.