Auto-Response or Personal Response?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by JenMarie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. JenMarie

JenMarie New Member

I have started using an auto-responding software for the first time and am looking for some insight/opinions. For those of you who currently employ an auto-response software (or have previously used one) to send emails automatically to new leads, do you:

a.) Supplement the auto-response with personal calls/emails?
    b.) Disable the auto-response and respond personally to each lead?
    c.) Append the auto-response with personal calls/emails (ie, only reach out personally after the auto-response threshold for a lead has expired)?
    d.) Rely completely on auto-response?

Everything in my instincts tells me that a personal response is more apt to achieve the desired result, but these auto-responses were developed with some form of calculated logic (a company email is automatically sent from my email address every couple of days, each with a different message/reminder).

I think I'm doubting the auto-response system primarily for two reasons:
    1.) The concept of "hiding" behind an auto-response is a much more hands-off approach than I've used before (although I like the time-saving benefits).
    2.) I'm not fond of receiving auto-responses, and generally feel safer doing business with someone who took the time to send me a thought-out response - even if I don't know them, there's still some level of comfort in knowing that there's a real person, in real-time, at the end of the email.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Same with me. I feel almost everybody now can make out whether the message came from an autoresponder or a real person. There is nothing compared to a personal email, better still, a hand written letter. Sure it takes time and effort but I feel that the effort is worth it. Internet has made us lazy and laziness comes at a cost. There was a time when we used to eagerly look forward to cards during our birthday and important ocassions. Slowly it was replaced with online cards. And now, it's a message on your time line in facebook, that too not because they remember your birthday, but because facebook notifies your friends that it's your birthday :) Everything looks so artificial now. Time for some personal touch.

JenMarie likes this.
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I believe that the most efficient approach to the auto- or personal response question is to straddle both worlds. They each have pros and cons, and how the balance is made will be determined by the individual, the niche, the objective and several other factors.

a.) Supplement the auto-response with personal calls/emails?
    This assumes that you already have the phone contact info. Otherwise you could ask for it in an auto-generated email that's customized for that purpose. Example: You could simply ask people who would like to work with you one-on-one to respond with phone contact information and a best time to call. Then you could segment those responses and follow up.

b.) Disable the auto-response and respond personally to each lead?
    Responding personally to each lead would be ideal for relationship building, but the time investment may make it infeasible, especially if you have hundreds of leads.

c.) Append the auto-response with personal calls/emails (ie, only reach out personally after the auto-response threshold for a lead has expired)?
    Technically the threshold for leads doesn't have to expire if you keep restocking the pipeline and doling out useful content and relevant promotional items.

d.) Rely completely on auto-response?
    This is probably what the majority of Internet marketers do. In order for your writing to generate conversions at a level that justifies your ROI, your copywriting skills need to be top shelf. You need to be an expert at using the psychological triggers and other elements that persuade and move people to take action.​

At the end of the day, I suppose the best answers will come from studying the metrics of the different methods you use to see which numbers speak the loudest.

Hermas

JenMarie likes this.
  4. mbasa

mbasa Member

My auto responder has only 3 messages in it. All the other messages are simply broadcasts that share our team progress in signing up new prospects and also a call to action for those interested in joining us to request a signup link. I only do one on one emails with the prospects who have requested a signup link. So, yes it is a combination of both for me.

5. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I survived and thrived for 3 years without one. I have a list now, but only use it if I have something that I feel is really profound! When I do use it, there is no hype, it's just me talking like I would talk to you in person!

6. Fabulousmiranda

Fabulousmiranda New Member

I like auto-responders and I do use more than one. I like the personal touch as you have mentioned knowing that a real person is behind the email. What I do is have at least (3) pre-set emails which includes the welcome, an introductory to whatever I am offering and then another informational email with a benefit or bonus. After those pre-done automated messages are sent.... now it's straight broadcast.

My list gets a message from my husband and I right then as we are inspired to say something. I personally find this method works well, opt-outs are not very high, we do have opt-outs but for the most part many have remained. A tip to auto-response; that is great for those who like a personal touch is PERSONAL VIDEO. By sending personal videos you easily weed out those who are not really serious or interested and retain those that are.