B2B Sales

Discussion in 'Coastal Vacations' started by griffiths, Aug 1, 2007.

1. joesosa

joesosa New Member

Those experienced in B2B sales...do you think that sending the client (decision maker) to the internet is a "must"?

Since B2B sales is done face to face...why bother?...comment please?

Thanks!

2. luvtravel

luvtravel New Member

Joesosa how does one find out who the businesses
    ad agency is?

Terri

3. joesosa

joesosa New Member

Well Terri,

I prefer to work by appointment. I ask who is the person in charge of making the ultimate decision regarding promotions, advertisong, etc. They connect me with his secretary usually and she tells me whether is Mr. Bigbanana, in which case I ask for an appointment. When she asks me in regards to what, I tell her that it is an opportunity I have for them that will increase their sales (if Co. is a bank, their deposits, etc,) as well as their traffic.
    If she connects me with Mr. Boss, and he asks me how does this work, I give him an overall like by him being able to give away free cruises when they buy a car, or open a CD account, etc. his sales will increase, he'll compete better, and so, when is the best time to meet him...this afternoon or tomorrow morning (always a choice) etc....

When they do all their advertising thru an Ad agency...I then ask for the agency's name, tel #, and the Account Executive in charge of the account. Call him, or maybe visit him 'couse I was referred by his client Mr. Bigguy from MuchmoneyBank regarding an opportunity to increase deposits/sales...will he be available tomorrow AM, or PM is better?...

A word of caution...I notice, they always asks for my company name
    and I sense that then, they might Google Coastal Vacations and you know that there, they'll find all those colourful pitches by our dear colleagues and well, at least in my case I don't want to send anybody to Google Coastal...

Have any experiences doing B2B that you care to share?

Regards,

Joe.

4. luvtravel

luvtravel New Member

Thanks for sharing Joe!

I don't have any experiences with B2B, but plan on doing so shortly.

Terri

5. griffiths

griffiths New Member

Quoting: joesosaA word of caution...I notice, they always asks for my company name
    and I sense that then, they might Google Coastal Vacations and you know that there, they'll find all those colourful pitches by our dear colleagues and well, at least in my case I don't want to send anybody to Google Coastal...

I would use my OWN company name when dealing with businesses. For example, I represent "Your Dream Vacation, Inc". So when they google...they google me, not coastal.

Nevertheless, before you sell the package you should disclose that it is a product of Coastal Vacations. (I believe that it would be unethical to claim that the whole membership package and service is compiled and distributed soley by you and/or your company)

If you represent mulitple sources of income (coastal, funtime, inteletravel, or whatever it might be). I feel that it would be less confusing to introduce your company first. (we might shop at sears but we go there and purchase maytag, whirlpool, kitchen aid, etc...)

We are business owners who sell the services of over 60 vendors, just like any other store/business. Dont be afraid to use the Coastal name, I would just explain that coastal is a source but "xyz company" is who you are! businesses are not going to shop for a director. they want someone who is a local legitamate business.

Brandon

6. luvtravel

luvtravel New Member

Anyone tape the great B2B call Stephanie had last night?
    Wish I had.
    She got down to the meat and potatoes of B2B sales.

Terri

7. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Quoting: luvtravelAnyone tape the great B2B call Stephanie had last night?
    Wish I had.
    She got down to the meat and potatoes of B2B sales.

Terri

Terri,

I was wondering and hoping the same thing. That was an incredible call. I want her first call script to the business as well as her cover letter she sends out. I was trying to write but couldn't write that fast. [​IMG]

Rhonda

8. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

As a salesmen in my prior career before Coastal (Ive been in B2B sales in Texas, Delaware, NJ and NYC on and off for the last 20 years) this is one of my favorite topics. Knowledge is power when it comes to B2B. Here is what I do:

First I learn about the business im prospecting to. I personally am not one for just walking in door to door and trying to sell my product. Now it can work but knowing your prospect works better. Its like hunting...you have to set a good trap first and know the prey you are up against. I do my research. That can be done a variety of ways. The internet is a great source. Do they have a website? If they do it will tell you alot about the client and esp. how they portray themselves to the public. Do they have alot of floor traffic? Is there clientele local or transient? These are important factors.

After your research you should have an idea of how to present to them. Now im all for making a general presentation as a guide for all of my appointments but you have to be able to think on your feet quickly. Cookie cutter doesn't always work. Have a presentation as a guide but really focus on the prospect and their needs as opposed to getting you presentation right. Michael Oliver has a great series on Natural Selling. He even has a bunch of free stuff. I have been using what he teaches for years and his training fine tuned what I was doing.

Have something to leave behind. Out of sight out of mind is true with busy business owners. You need to stand out. Give them a special vacation and make it look nice. If you can find a company that makes mouse pads or office supplies people use. Staplers, post it pads and the like get them. Its a constant reminder of you. I used to work for a company in NYC called IFR Furniture. Their greatest giveaway was Altoid mints in an IFR package. People loved them. So giveaways work well. In addition have a presentation book or CD to leave behind. So they can take it home and look at it as well.

Create a sense of urgency. As you research them you should have come across their competitors. Let them know you plan on going to visit their competition next week but you wanted to give them first crack at the program. As a business owner they should understand this. I love this method. If I don't know their competition I usually ask who they are in my Natural Selling approach to them.

I hope this helps some of you in your quest to go biz to biz. I am open for consultations and be on the lookout for my new training series on B2B sales.

Adam

9. joesosa

joesosa New Member

Adam,

I think that there is a lot of potential in B2B work. Just one Platinum sale a month and you pass your 100G's a year.

I one thinks L1 only, one will need over one hundred sales to equal that income and many times the effort, plus the headache of the leads...good leads, bad leads, ppc, etc.

I really would like to share experiences, tips, and to take part in your "training series on B2B sales"

Your comments are on target, I am taking notes. Let me know when and where do I check out the B2B series!

Joe.

10. jnapier

jnapier New Member

When it comes to b2b sales, it's important to START with education. We do have a great membership, BUT don't assume that the business owner your going to speak with has marketing knowledge.

Go into the business with 3-5 ideas on how the business would use the membership for marketing.

I owned an advertising agency and have direct knowledge of who to use the consultant approach to sell - This is important because we're not just selling "Items" we're selling complete marketing solutions that are specifric to travel.

I could go on and on.....but you've really got to do your own research AND get out there and get comfortable going business to business.

Personally, I fell that making phone calls to do b2b is a waste of time. You'll do ALOT better going out and actually pulling some doors and meeting some business people.

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations

11. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

I agree with alot of what Jay said but we disagree on the just walking in. If I own a busy establishment the last thing I want is a salesman coming in trying to "sell" me something even if they have a Natural Selling approach. It also really makes you look like a salesman. Im more of a consultant so I use that approach. But again thats my style you have to do what is best for you.

B2B is very lucrative and most of the time you dont have the money objection. Business owners are used to paying top dollar for advertising. So for many 11k is a drop in the bucket. Just understand if you have never had any sales experience you have to educate yourself as business owners are used to professional salesman marketing to them. Dont fret though learn to use your strengths and the strength of our package to make the sale.

Adam

12. joesosa

joesosa New Member

Okay Adam,

Where/how does one get a chance to benefit from Michael Oliver's Natural Selling?

Joe.

13. curjfg

curjfg New Member

I have been very successful with B2B sales. All of my B2B success has been from doing my research first.