Backlinks from high PR but not relevant to your topic

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by garygoh, May 4, 2009.

1. garygoh

garygoh New Member

Will it harm our site ranking if our site has a number of backlinks from high PR site but not relevant to our topic?

Thanks
  2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

It always helps that the backlink is relevant, but I don't think that it would HURT to have a high PR site linking back to you, regardless of how relevant it is.
  3. garygoh

garygoh New Member

Thanks getagrip for your view. But would it help the site's serp?
  4. _work_

_work_ New Member

Google tells us in their help pages that no link TO your site is harmful and can never be. The reason is: what if a site had a competitor that was mean and wanted to hurt them? It would be too easy for the competitor to do bad things to you.

Therefore, Google states specifically that no inbound link can harm you ever. I hope that puts your mind at ease.
  5. garygoh

garygoh New Member

Hi work, many thanks for your advice.
  6. gridellas

gridellas New Member

That was good question because I have never thought about inbound links having a negative effect on your sites.

Good to know [​IMG]
  7. rubsync

rubsync New Member

I guess that wouldn't hurt.. But it would be best if your getting quality back links!..
  8. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Gary,

It won't hurt but it will help even if the site linking back to yours isn't relevant to your site topic.

Relevancy helps the most but irrelevant links count too.

It might help you understand if I explain it this way: backlinks to your page and to your TLD help. They count as a "vote". The higher the relevancy, the better.

This applies to the topic of the site and to the page within the site linking to your site. It also applies to the wording in the link, which is referred to as "anchor text".

The anchor text phrase helps you rank higher for a given phrase.

Hope I didn't lose you in the details.

~Newbie Shield~
  9. garygoh

garygoh New Member

Thanks Newbie Shield for your clear explanation.

One more question here. As you can read from other threads, articles marketing is my key activity.

Just wondering is it necessary to link to each of the page of my website in order for better serps?

Thanks
  10. samda

samda Member

As Newbie said, it wont hurt instead it will help. But if a whole lot of links are coming from irrelevant websites, it is a problem.

Sam
  11. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

garygoh: Just wondering is it necessary to link to each of the page of my website in order for better serps?
    Hi Gary,

"Necessary", no. Helpful, yes.

Understand that others may also eventually link to your TLD as well as individual pages if they feel that your content is good.

So, hopefully it won't be entirely up to you to create all of your backlinks.

When starting out, you should at least create backlinks to your TLD and to a few of your best posts.

You create additional links by using a sig link in relevant forums and a site link in blog comments on the blogs of those in your industry.

This should also drive some traffic and provided that your content is good, get some loyal readers and organic links.

If you'd like to play it a little on the safe side, consider creating an article for almost every post.

You could use different article directories, Squidoo, and a free blog to change up the source of your backlinks if you'd like.

It's a personal choice.

~Newbie Shield~
  12. dannywr

dannywr New Member

Hi
    I don't have so much idea regarding this subject. Just I suggest you to take steps accordingly.
  13. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

garygoh: But would it help the site's serp?
    I'm sure it would not! It may increase your site's PR but it'll make no difference to your site's SERPs. Only links from relevant pages will matter.

garygoh: Just wondering is it necessary to link to each of the page of my website in order for better serps?
    It'll definitely help if you could do that. Not each of your pages, but at least to top level and important pages.
  14. babua61

babua61 New Member

no,it will not harm your page rank.Because anything your competitor can do is not harmful.Just imagine if its possible,how easy it will be to harm any site you want only by putting irrelevant backlinks to the site.Hence anything which can be done by your competitor is not harmful
  15. HomeInDenver

HomeInDenver New Member

It won't help you to have backlinks to an irrelevant high PR site. That said, I agree that it probably won't hurt you either.
  16. getreffs

getreffs Guest

This will defiantly not harm PR because it will then be very easy to hurt our competitors and kick them from search engines.
  17. georgie

georgie Guest

Back links on irrelevant sites won't harm but Google gives only less value on those kinds of back links.
  18. RashmiP

RashmiP Guest

That's a great news! Relevancy does matter, but if we don't have, nothing harm in it either.
  19. baxterbaker

baxterbaker New Member

relevance plays the major role in improvement of your ranking. Links should be from relevant websites.
  20. HarryJackson

HarryJackson New Member

I think it will not cause any harm, they count as back link.