baking soda and omlettes, waffles dried beans

Discussion in 'Frugal Living' started by weebitty, Mar 15, 2010.

1. weebitty

weebitty Member

Omelets get fluffier if you add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda per 3 eggs.

who would have thought of that one??[​IMG]

also add a pinch of baking soda to a buttermilk waffle receipe to make the waffles lighter and softer.

Add a pinch of baking soda to water when soaking dried beans. It help make them more digestible.

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

weebitty: Add a pinch of baking soda to water when soaking dried beans. It help make them more digestible.
    This sounds interesting. Do you have any links to prove it in a scientific way?

3. weebitty

weebitty Member

Not to my knowledge. I am getting these tips from a book entitled Pure baking soda for baking, cleaning, and deodorizing By Christine Halvorson. She is a frequent contributor to the Old Farmers Almanac, Including Home Owners Companion, and Gardner's Companion, All I can suggest is try it and see if you like beans. It would be interesting to see what you find out.

I have seen people soak beans before but wasn't sure why they did it and didn't think to ask. Maybe someone can shed some lite on it for us.

I did a little more digging and found this site:http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

He is a training scientist and has other myths that he talks about if you would care to go to it. What is surprising is he says that baking soda in a refrigerator doesn't do anything for odors!! Well all of us that have used it I am not sure that is correct. I haven't had any problems with using baking soda in the refrigerator. Anyone else care to comment on this??

4. weebitty
    Agreed,

There are many health benefits to baking soda beyond cleaning and cooking, but taken daily is something everyone should be doing, one teaspoon in water will do more for your immune system than almost all the other remedies or drugs will do.

Baking soda is a common ingredient in many food recipes. But baking soda can be used for many other things as well. Baking soda is a sodium bicarbonate which maintains the pH equilibrium and neutralizes both acids and bases. It is one of the greatest natural solutions for cleaning, deodorizing, preparation, and healthcare purposes. The innumerable health benefits of baking soda are easily researched.

Just don't use ones with with aluminum on label, so read those labels on everything you eat. With more studies on the importance of proper pH, there is no cheaper way to keep your pH in check than with daily baking soda in water. There are so many all natural ways to maintain optimum immunity which is the key to preventing all illnesses.

Wealth Without Health is Worthless,

5. weebitty

weebitty Member

I have heard about baking soda as being used to keep the acids in your body down. I have given to my husband when he is experiencing heart burn. I am sure there are alot of uses for it and I will post what I find. But also there is an baking soda that you can get without the alumium in it I have heard I think probably in a health food store. But the other uses I don't care if it has alumium in it or not.

Here is another one out of the book:

A permanent filler for nail holes on white walls is a mixture of baking soda with white glue formed nto paste.

Save money on spackle would be my guess!! [​IMG]

6. Thanks,

Tried the baking soda and white glue, and sure enough, made a wonderful spackle like product, and having seen what spackle goes for these days, even the small tubs, this is a real money saver if your home is starting to pop nails like most do after about five years. lol Thanks weebitty.

Success to all,

7. weebitty

weebitty Member

Glad it helped someone. Thanks for posting. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was reading my posts!! Now maybe others will try it too and post other things that save money.

8. weblogger

weblogger New Member

Bakins soda has 1000s if not 100s of use, i have a book lying with all different ways to use baking soda in our day to day activities.

I wonder how useful baking soda is [​IMG]