Best free wordpress theme

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by hippy, Jul 10, 2013.

1. hippy

hippy New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum and thinking of upgrading my twenty ten WordPress theme which is looking a bit old fashioned. Can anyone advise on what might be the best easy to manage Free WP theme.

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

The one I use the most is Atahualpa which is the #1 downloaded WP theme.
    As for ease of use, it is easy but has LOTS of configuration options to customize it.
    It can take a while to learn where to make the changes but they have a forum for help.
    It's by BytesForAll which is where the forum is at.

hippy likes this.
  4. hippy

hippy New Member

Thanks for your suggestion, I did see a previous post of yours which recommended Atahualpa. I did try it and found it was a bit complex to work with all the configurations. I'll give it another go, with a bit more determination tomorrow. Thanks again.

5. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

I am using Twenty Twelve on some of my sites and like it. It really depends what sort of features you want in a theme, and if you want free or paid. I just look around and see which ones I like inside WordPress. Being more specific might help people give you suggestions

6. Khoa Nuyen

Khoa Nuyen New Member

Take a little time to learn the "complex" themes." Master them and you'll master Wordpress, too. It won't take long :)

7. hippy

hippy New Member

Catherine, Thanks for you comment. I agree the twenty twelve looks good on some sites, it also looks good on any device, laptop, tablet etc. I have tried many other free WordPress themes, but often the ones I like look different on other devices.

8. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

There are plugins that make almost any WP theme work on mobile devices.
    The only one I have used is WP Touch. Seems to work fine.

"WPtouch automatically transforms your WordPress website for mobile devices, complete with ajax loading articles and smooth effects when viewed from popular touch mobile devices like the iPhone, iPod touch, Android mobile phones, BlackBerry OS6+ mobile devices, and more!

The admin panel allows you to customize many aspects of its appearance, and deliver a fast, user-friendly and stylish version of your site to touch mobile visitors, without modifying a single bit of code (or affecting) your regular desktop theme.

The theme also includes the ability for visitors to switch between WPtouch view and your site's regular theme."

They also have a Pro version with more theme options.

9. hippy

hippy New Member

Thanks for the information, I'll look into adding the plugin.
    This is a great forum for getting lots of useful responses.
    Thank you all for helping out.

10. Aron Prins

Aron Prins New Member

Hey Hippy!

A good converting FREE one I found is right in the WordPress repo: http://wordpress.org/themes/local-business
    We're even including it in our upcoming system :)!

Hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Aron Prins

11. hippy

hippy New Member

Aron,
    Thanks for the link, I really like the local-business theme. I'm going to download it to one of my sites later tonight.

12. Aron Prins

Aron Prins New Member

Hey Hippy,

Very welcome, make sure to let me know what site you'll use it on ;)
    Just curious how it works out for you!

Cheers,
    Aron Prins

13. Bradshaw

Bradshaw New Member

There is some great premium wp themes you can download for free from 2nd party sites and then upload to wordpress.
    Just do a google search and make sure you can get hold of the designer in case of any future problems.

payment proof likes this.
  14. Rick Servers

Rick Servers New Member

I am using Enigma for some of my sites. Good user interface, option panel with great features and great support all in all a good theme.