Best Way to Learn How to Build Websites?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by jjandry03, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cgracia

cgracia New Member

While there are other sites that will take the pain out of html by letting you go straight to creating a website (you could just use MySpace, for instance), I think there is some value in learning html, even if you later move on to another system. A weekend should be enough time to learn the basics.

All you need is:

1. a webhost (and your log in information - don't forget to store in a safe but searchable place).
    2. a text editor (the simpler the better, because Microsoft Word, for instance, will add extras to your code that could make it function incorrectly)
    3. a program to take your file and put it on the internet. fetch is a good one.

I would just try some simple stuff to get a feel for how html works. Then, if you move on to Dreamweaver or a Joomla or Drupal based system (all of which are excellent!) you'll know a bit about what's happening under the hood.

Best of luck!

Chad
  2. LuckyRon

LuckyRon New Member

When I first started learning HTML it was about 15 years ago and things were so much simpler then. I mean simple not better the web pages have changed so much since then. I remeber my first business website. I just copied someone elses HTML to notepad and then I changed the name, address and phone number to mine, added my logo as an image file and uploaded it. voila! I was so excited the first time I thought I was a genious.

It's not so easy to steal another persons code anymore but when I'm on an interesting page I still like to Right Click, hit View Source and Look at how things are constructed once in a while. I think it's a great way to learn.
  3. stacy

stacy New Member

Quoting: federlineDreamweaver is very expensive is there another bit of software on the market that is reasonably priced and allows to you to modify and build new web sites.

I use WebEasy Professional 6. It is similar to Dreamweaver, but not as complicated, in my opinion. You can order it through my PowerMall for $49 and get a rebate back on it!
  4. sdcindy

sdcindy New Member

I designed my first web page (1st link in my signature). I used a WYSIWYG program called Site Spinner. I found it easy to use and the support was top notch. You can get it on CNET. It has a 15 day free trial, then costs $49 if you want to keep it. I don't know if it is available on My Power Mall [​IMG]

Cindy
  5. aplina

aplina New Member

get to school and learn how to make awebsite. look for someone who know how to then they may teach you. do u know you can make alot of money on website.
  6. pcwork

pcwork New Member

I was using FrontPage, now I use a text editor, it is much better
  7. alexant

alexant New Member

I use HTML-Kit, which is really just a step above a text editor. I taught myself html by dissecting other people's pages... and taught myself PHP thru trial and error.
  8. MandyB

MandyB New Member

I started teaching myself HTML by using a WYSIWYG editor (FrontPage Express) and then keeping on changing back to have a look at what code it had created but I think if I had to do it over again I would definitely use W3Schools. I am still learning from them even though I have been designing my own websites for a couple of years. It seems like there is always more that you can learn from them. I have also bought myself some programming books from the local bookstore and use those to teach me some aspects of web design (XML in particular).
  9. Marktech

Marktech Member

I've tried NVU, html-kit, voda - all seemed to run a bit flakey on my XP machine. I recently downloaded and tried Seamonkey which is a free multi-app browser - it is bundled with a WYSIWYG editor called composer - fairly basic but more stable than what I have used so far.
  10. stealthwealth

stealthwealth New Member

I personally use NVU and I think it is a great tool. As for the best way to learn I would goto Youtube Video and type in the search how to build an basic web site or how to build a web site. This is where I goto get great ideas for projects.
  11. cupbucket

cupbucket New Member

Learn HTML
  12. juno44444

juno44444 New Member

I suggest you learn to use Wordpress as your first priority. There is not only a shorter learning curve, but Wordpress is far more powerful and diverse. Once you get used to it, it is very easy to use. You need to have your own Domain Hosting set up (you can get a free blog, but if you're serious, get your own Hosted Blog) and then you can install Wordpress on your domain. Let me know if you need advice on how to set it up.

But learning to earn money online is not just about learning to make a website. I suggest you get a complete manual from someone trustworthy.
  13. FreshStart56

FreshStart56 New Member

I like how HappyWife just pops in here & there in the midst of this trade discussion of the underlying hows & mechanics of web site design, with a "hey there, if you want to make a living from traffic on a web site, use SBI, etc.," and the discussion just rolls over that interjection. Very amusing. HW is honest to admit that she is out of place in a purely technical discussion: she just likes the idea of a product that seems to work "out of the box." Just MHO.
  14. happywife

happywife Gold Member

FreshStart56: I like how HappyWife just pops in here & there in the midst of this trade discussion of the underlying hows & mechanics of web site design, with a "hey there, if you want to make a living from traffic on a web site, use SBI, etc.," and the discussion just rolls over that interjection. Very amusing. HW is honest to admit that she is out of place in a purely technical discussion: she just likes the idea of a product that seems to work "out of the box." Just MHO.
    [​IMG] I'm glad I can bring some amusement to your life!

I had to go back and read over this thread since reading your comment. My previous posts in this thread are over a year old. Still all very true, but guess what?

I'm actually learning more and more of the dreaded coding and about to launch a fourth site. I've almost talked myself into abandoning my precious block builder and uploading my own html. Horrors! [​IMG]

The inner debate has been fierce. I'm really very comfy with SBI's blockbuilder and it's like giving up my security blanket in many ways.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. This is the last week that I've allowed myself to dither over it. I'm starting the site next week officially, so I've got to climb down from this uncomfortable fence!

Wish me luck!
    Angie
  15. glindow

glindow New Member

Someone mentioned Joomla here and that is what I used to get my basic site set up. No extensive coding needed, which works for me, but oh it was a challenge learning how to make things work and I still have oh so much more to learn. I will have to keep that w3school program or whatever it was in mind though, it sounds like a popular way to learn. Thanks for the indirect tips.
  16. matt7

matt7 New Member

You can go to Weebly.com and create a free account. They will allow you to build up to two website free of charge. It's pretty much a drag and drop program which makes it very easy to use even for beginners.

By searching in google for terms like weebly tutorials you can find people offering free videos that will walk you though setting up a basic website.
  17. Dimasalang

Dimasalang New Member

Go to HTMLDog's website.
    They have a quick rundown on how to get things started quickly without the hassle of terminologies and whatnot. Everything else is laid out for you all you have to do is take action.

I learned HTML and CSS in just a week reading their tutorials page.

Also the best start is to use Notepad rather than DreamWeaver or Frontpage.

You'll get to know web design better using Notepad.
  18. happywife

happywife Gold Member

happywife: FreshStart56:
    I like how HappyWife just pops in here & there in the midst of this trade discussion of the underlying hows & mechanics of web site design, with a "hey there, if you want to make a living from traffic on a web site, use SBI, etc.," and the discussion just rolls over that interjection. Very amusing. HW is honest to admit that she is out of place in a purely technical discussion: she just likes the idea of a product that seems to work "out of the box." Just MHO.

I'm glad I can bring some amusement to your life!

I had to go back and read over this thread since reading your comment. My previous posts in this thread are over a year old. Still all very true, but guess what?

I'm actually learning more and more of the dreaded coding and about to launch a fourth site. I've almost talked myself into abandoning my precious block builder and uploading my own html. Horrors!

The inner debate has been fierce. I'm really very comfy with SBI's blockbuilder and it's like giving up my security blanket in many ways.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. This is the last week that I've allowed myself to dither over it. I'm starting the site next week officially, so I've got to climb down from this uncomfortable fence!

Wish me luck!
    Angie

Since Dimasalang has revived this old thread I popped in to check it out and noticed my post above from over a year ago. I really crack myself up and I thought I'd give you an update so you all could laugh at me too (hopefully with me). [​IMG]

Yes, I took the plunge last year and decided to start my 4th site using CSS and html. Oh was it a frustrating challenge. I was starting to get the hang of it (angieberg.com), but then I went overseas and had to deal with some family health issues for several months.

I had to put the sitebuilding on the back burner for a while and low and behold I haven't touched that particular site in nearly a year now! Ugh! The thought of having to learn that coding all over again (of course I don't remember it!) makes me feel queasy.

So, guess what I'm going to do? I'm going to swap that site back to using SBI's simple blockbuilder where I only have to worry about the content and my few snippets of code that I've learned along the way and use regularly. Yep! I'm chickening out, as they say.

I've decided that some of us are code-friendly and some of us are NOT. So, back to my security blanket for me!

If you're "techie challenged" like me, don't despair. You can still make a 'very nice income' online without having to overcome that obstacle.

Well, I'm off to my block-builder. Have fun all you coding gurus! [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  19. Seth

Seth New Member

try dreamweaver it's user friendly [​IMG]
  20. garrygnapp

garrygnapp New Member

You can look for video tutorials such as Lynda.com, I learned a lot from them, its like having a teacher already where you will be given some examples and exercises, worth checking out.