Beware the 'Laptop Effect'!

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by mjsellars, Jun 8, 2010.

1. mjsellars New Member

A lot of work-from-home entrepeneurs have invested in laptops. They're easy to cart around and they don't clutter up the house.

The only problem with laptops is what I call the 'laptop effect'. This is when you sit with your laptop actually on your lap. Slowly but surely your lap and legs warm up, and even if you don't fall asleep, you will almost certainly experience a degree of 'over-comfort'. You may as well take a sedative.

My advice: put your laptop on a desk or table.
  2. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

Laptop effect would be too mild to say. I think it would be laptop disaster. Just like too much cell phone usage can cause brain damage/cancer/tumor, the electro magnetic radiations from laptop can damage your reproductive system.
  3. getagrip Gold Member

Wow. I never thought about this! Seems like everything these days will kill you or give you cancer! [IMG]
  4. wealthbuilders New Member

Geesh! Never thought about that either!
  5. A8ch Gold Member

Seems like every time we make a technological advancement, we also create a new way to do harm to ourselves. What's one to do? [IMG]

Hermas
  6. jeffreysloe New Member

Moderation works in most cases.
  7. carterstory New Member

When I'm working, my computer is on a desk or a table.
    The only time it's in my lap is when I'm sitting in a room where I've got no distractions, (there's only a lazyboy in that room).
    You just need to limit your distractions, and make sure you're focused on the task at hand...
  8. BloomAgain New Member

I never heard this before. I don't have a laptop yet, but want to get one and will keep this suggestion in mind. Thanks.
  9. yahia Member

Also watch for your back. A laptop on your lap setting on a couch or a lazyboy is a guarantee you'll lose the straight back posture.
  10. happywife Gold Member

Unfortunately, I've never had good posture to begin with, so using my laptop all the time certainly doesn't help.

I do try to keep a cushion between my lap and the laptop, but I doubt that does much to deter the electro magnetic rays. [IMG]

Always something, isn't it?
  11. MickProvel New Member

Yes, getting too comfortable is how we destroy our chances of being successful. We need to stay hungry!!
  12. odlanor9 New Member

I agree you should be cautious how you treat your body, but at the end of the day, I just try to get my work done...no excuses.

You know what they say...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Orlando
  13. ermelinda New Member

mjsellars
    Personally I've had several laptops up till now and I've never got used to actually work well unless it's on a table or desk. Sure, it's useful to take them everywhere. But when it comes to actually do our work on them it's best a solid surface below them.
  14. wrlawrence New Member

Thanks for the insight. Like most of us who responded and was not aware oof the effect.
  15. mogulmedia New Member

zzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....
  16. talfighel Silver Member

Wow, if I were to have my laptop sit on my lap non stop, this would be very annoying and not so comfortable.

It is so easy and convenient to do this but your laptop will warn up.

The problem for me is that I am so used to sitting on my bed and doing work and having the laptop sitting on my lap that I if I were to sit on a desk, that would be a challange because I am so used to sitting and doing my work on my bed.

I like this post. I thought I was the only one,

Tal
  17. Cesar Fasano New Member

What an interesting topic...

The power of environments is always critical. I personally alternate the places I work.

- Whenever I'm writing something I go to my balcony...

- When I'm going to absorb any new information I go to the library.

- When I have to respond to emails and phone calls I stay in my home office.

It's very important to get into the environment where you can as much as productive as you can....Laptop or not get yourself in production mode.
  18. bbray95 New Member

Very good advice!