Blog OR Website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by getreffs, Jul 8, 2009.

1. getreffs

getreffs Guest

What is difference between a Blog and website in term of importance.
    Which thing differentiate blog from a website.

from SEO point of view blog can be well optimized as compare to a website or not.

What are the merits and demerits of a Blog

How to optimize Blog

Any one who can answer these questions.These are very important for newbies, so plz provide and share your knowledge with newbies.

Thank you
  2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

3. BobFirestone

BobFirestone New Member

A blog is just a website that has new content added on a regular basis.
  4. magume

magume New Member

5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Depends... I prefer SBI over a blog but that is a paid website. If you use free websites then it is much better to go with a blog.... that is my simple opinion.[​IMG]
  6. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi getreffs,

Both...eventually.

getreffs: What is difference between a Blog
    and website in term of importance.
    Nothing.

getreffs: Which thing differentiate blog from a website.
    A blog tends to be a bit more community-oriented in an interactive way.

Whereas a traditional site usually is more of a one-way street, blogs are like a two-way street in that readers can leave comments, which allows them to participate in the creation of content. They can express their opinions in each article.

getreffs: from SEO point of view blog can be well optimized as compare to a website or not.
    Yes.

getreffs: What are the merits and demerits of a Blog
    Pros: Interactivity. If done right, a stronger trust can be built between the author and the readership.

If you don't keep your post rhythm, you will lose readers.

getreffs: How to optimize Blog
    Same way you optimize a traditional site.

~Newbie Shield~
  7. Ballistic

Ballistic New Member

I think it depends on the product or service. Some are more conducive to blogs and others to a website. If there is much information you will need to constantly be adding as far as "text" then a blog is good. If you will need a database, a website will be better.
  8. rchlhall

rchlhall New Member

Can you give any advice as to different ways of getting blogs seen. Other than linking to them on emails and forums.

Thanks
  9. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Rchlhall, Whether it's a blog-website or a "regular" website you are would market it the same for traffic to have it seen, paid traffic, articles, videos, forums, etc.
  10. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

rchlhall: Can you give any advice as to different ways of getting blogs seen. Other than linking to them on emails and forums.
    Write articles linking back to your blog.
  11. swood01

swood01 New Member

I would suggest a FREE system that would allow you to co-op with them and drive traffic to your website or blog.
  12. deltatech

deltatech New Member

getreffs, a couple of pointers for you:

There are blogs, which are very community oriented, there are regular static web sites, which many businesses use for informational stuff or stores that only have changes in their inventory, and then there is the hybrid, which is what I consider a CMS to be, content management system.

The CMS offers some portions that are stagnant, through the use of a conventional menu system, and a blog-like feature through an article management menu system. These are great for a full featured web site where you aren't so interested in a lot of response posting but want to be able to easily add more content frequently.

As far as driving traffic, rchlhall, mountainmom5 is correct. Articles are a great way to drive traffic to your site, and there are many places on the web for posting them for free. But beyond that, you can post helpful information on other blogs like wordpress, facebook, myspace, and the like. I would suggest twitter but I haven't gotten a handle on that one yet - it's very different than the others.

Hope this helps.
  13. BizzySusan

BizzySusan New Member

I say both!! You can link your website from your blog. Write articles. Twitter and FB about the blog. It just another outlet for promotion IMO>
  14. luis23

luis23 New Member

Both a Website and blog are great. BLOG can let you target small keywords little by little, and if you do a good linking strategy inside your pages, you can help your Page Rank, and have a better ranking.

Also with the blog, you will have the possibility to create original and good content which can attract more visitors.
  15. Tech Maish

Tech Maish New Member

Good questions and good answers.
  16. sequencehosting

sequencehosting New Member

This is a really good question. It's very hard to answer because it depends greatly on what steps you perform for on-page SEO.

It's a known fact that Google loves blogs. There are many free SEO plugins for Wordpress that make on-page SEO very easy to do. A couple of good plugins to take a look at are:

- All In One SEO
    - Breadcrumb NavXT

You can also change your URL structure in the 'permalinks' section. Using:

http://www.blogurl.com/category/page-title.php

would be much better for SEO than:

http://www.blogurl.com/date/time/?12.php

--

If you have the knowledge you can achieve the same results with a website. The only difference is it takes more work with a website.

Jack
  17. vinnymatrix

vinnymatrix Guest

I would def recommend a blog site. Why? because you are able to post a new article on your blog whenever you want without having to do any html and edit links on normal sites. Plus all the articles you post on your blog gets optimized very well by google depending on how many keywords you have of your certain niche on your entire blog archive.
  18. brain

brain New Member

A blog is your medium of communication with your customers. Use it to take the comments of your customers. You can use blogs to optimize your site as well by directing the traffic from your blog to the official website.
  19. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

In my personal view, and I am sure that others will disagree with me here is that a blog or a website are the same thing. if you optimize both correctly and have enough backlinks then you can get the same traffic for both.
  20. mattjosh

mattjosh New Member

I think that a blog is the best for beginners. Because Wordpress has made it so easy. They have so many plugins that allows you to optimize your site for Google and among other things, they have really nice templates too!