Blog Traffic

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by thomnel53, Aug 7, 2009.

1. thomnel53

thomnel53 New Member

I was wondering if you target specific keywords in all your blog posts or do you rely on pings and word of mouth to get traffic?

2. westfam11

westfam11 Member

I target specific keywords that I will be writing articles and pointing back to the blog.

I also ping my blog.

Becky

3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Focus on both targetted keywords and getting other websites to link into you - a good place to start is article directories.

4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi thomnel53,

I do light SEO but for the most part I rely on the reputation and value of my posts.

~Newbie Shield~

5. thomnel53

thomnel53 New Member

I guess I should have been more specific. Say you want to do a political blog or something along those lines, it's not always easy to find keywords in the topic you want to write about. What i was wondering is can you get decent amounts of traffic by just writing what you want and then pinging like crazy?

6. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Thomnel,

No, you only ping when you make a new post or a significant update to an existing post else you'll get black listed.

You can't brute force anything. It's a lot less mechanical than most seem to think.

You either have to have a decent sized readership, use keywords with demand, or use PPC.

It helps tremendously if you know your topic well.

~Newbie Shield~

7. Thomnel,

Use this Keyword tool:-
    https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

e.g. type in Politics - there are many, many keywords related to politics.

Barb

8. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

My two cents thomnel...

Basically, content's always key. You can ping away or even pay for traffic, but at the end of the day, it's the content that'll keep things afloat even if you had a traffic genie intervene ever so often.

I say all of this because my main aim is to point out the fact that - for something like a political blog, or a movie blog, or a blog about cats, whatever - the goal goal isn't "traffic", the goal is actually consistent traffic. It's easy to get traffic in spurts but not as easy to get traffic that keeps coming back.

Provide content of a certain quality, in a consistent manner, that is relevant to the people whose eyeballs you're after and pinging to the hell out of your pages will start to seem like a silly idea.

And, btw - as Barb pointed out - it's probably easier than you think to figure out what exactly classifies as "relevant" to your market when it comes to thinking up new content ideas, even for somewhat esoteric niches. I hope that helps [​IMG].

9. glady

glady New Member

I focus on the targeted keyword to generate traffic. Social bookmarking and networking are good source of traffic.

10. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

if your topic is not high traffic, then you are gone to want to tie other keywords into your topic, with title headings and content, somehow that has good traffic

11. LordSwap

LordSwap New Member

Hello Eveyone!
    First let me say, Hi! to all as this is my first post. I found this really informative but I'm wondering what you guys mean by pining your blog or website, can someone please elaborate?

12. allifates

allifates New Member

directory submisiion,social bookmarking to your website links to good PR sites are important to get traffic.

13. uliran

uliran New Member

thomnel53
    That's ok. Also if you can use your keyword in the title of your post the better and then sprinkle it throughout your article post...what allowed is 7 same keywords per 100 words. Write an article (different from what you posted) and submit it to different article directories with PR3 and above. Also, create backlinks or one way link from high PR sites pointing to your blog. If you know how to create a linkwheel it also contribute ranking your website fast in the first page of google.

14. gowriter

gowriter Member

The best way to get traffic to a blog is to funnel traffic from a site that already has a lot of traffic.

What do I mean?

The reason why Ezine Articles is used a lot by bloggers and marketers is because it's a site that already gets a lot of traffic. It has over 700,000 backlinks, and Google considers it a huge authority site. Therefore, Ezine Articles will typically rank, depending on the keyword and its competition, in the first four spots of page 1 of Google Search Engine Results Page (SERP).

Rather than you trying to blog comment here and blog comment, ping here and ping there (those methods are fine but take longer), it's better to write an article on Ezine Articles with a link in the resource box to a relavent post on your blog. Your article acts just like another page of Ezine Articles.

So you're funneling Search Engine Traffic from a high-authority site to your no-traffic, brand-spanking new blog.

You don't have to only use Ezine Articles. Think about any high-traffic blogs or website related to your niche that you can guest post on. Contact the site owner to see if they allow you to do it. This is a good thing because targeted traffic already comes to this person's site, and if you write a good value-filled post, you can put a link to your blog at the end of your post for readers to click through.

So when it comes to traffic, don't get wrapped around the axel about backlinks, SEO, pinging, RSS, etc ...those are all technical mechanisms that can help distribute and optimize. Think logically about how to get lots of traffic to you in the most effective, legitimate manner. The best way is to funnel lots of traffic from a high-traffic site to yours.

Think of your blog as an actor trying to get hired to do a movie. So you go to the cocktail party with lots of directors, producers and agents. You charm them with your conversation and talent. They're interested in signing you up. You give them you card or blog address. You can't do that if you're standing around waiting for people to come to you.

Don't forget forum marketing, paid advertisement on high-traffic blogs (cheaper than pay per click advertising), building a list (the best method of all), giving out a free ebook or report, article marketing, etc.

There are several ways to gain traffic. Be familiar with the different tactics and see which ones you like best or are working best for you. Then stick with them and do more of it.

15. shobmayo

shobmayo New Member

LordSwap
    it is great

16. TristLodge

TristLodge New Member

17. nublu4

nublu4 New Member

What has worked for me is to make several blog posts using popular sites like squidoo, wordpress, blogspot, hubpages etc etc and in every post have a link sending to your main page where you want to send traffic to. In that way Google will rank your main site pretty high and people searching for a specific keyword will find your main site on the first page of Google search.

18. davestez

davestez New Member

I focused on targeted keywords. I also do link building to promote my website.

19. jamess

jamess Member

Just concentrate on targeted keywords that will you a lot...

20. gpricejr

gpricejr New Member

Creating SEO optimizes content is an art form. You really have to have your keywords targeted before you construct anything online.