Bookkeeping for your work at home business

Discussion in 'Casual Chat' started by RedRobin, Aug 20, 2005.

1. RedRobin

RedRobin New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I would like anyone interested to give advice, make comments or ask questions about keeping books for your work at home business. I think that having a simple, organized way to keep track of your finances as you work at home is important for several reasons. First, you will know how much money you are making. Second, you will have you information together when it comes to be tax time. Third, you can check your business finances to see if you are actually making money or not. Then, if you are not, or if you're not making as much as you' d like, you can see which business proceedures you would like to change.
    I bought QuickBooks 2005 Pro. It has a large variety of ways for you to manage your business, keep track of your inventory, taxes, track profits, and does invoicing. Perhaps you have a different method of
    keeping track of your business's finances. I'd love to hear more from anyone on this subject.
    Thanks for sharing information with the forum.
    RedRobin

2. twnuck

twnuck New Member

I think QB's is the easiest way to go. It's the simplest system and can do everything you need for 99% of home based businesses. When it comes down to it all businesses have three costs direct materials, wages and overhead. So, as long as you are keeping track of all three you are on the right track.

I use QB's myself and have for many years.

Todd

3. homeofficewiz

homeofficewiz New Member

Thank you RedRobin and Twnuck

I was thinking of this myself and now I know which program to use.

I have heared of this before and now I am sure that this is the right one

4. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Redrobin, what kind of home business do you have? Is a software required even if you are not selling any product?

5. Andres Suay

Andres Suay New Member

Hey There,
    I use www.PlanetSoho.com to manage my business and I also get tons of very useful info and tips on their blog that comes out every Friday. I issue all my estimates and invoices and track my products and its working really smoothly.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013