Brand New Want to Learn About SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by batalash3d, Feb 16, 2015.

1. batalash3d

batalash3d New Member

Hello !
    I am with a network marketing company, mlm. We have a back office and so I don't know if I would be able to make a landing page. Can someone point me in the right direction for learning how to get more traffic to my website ? I am sorry if this is very general, but I have no idea how to go about doing SEO.

*Ronnie*

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hi Ronnie and welcome!

I am not sure if your company will allow you to make your own landing page or not, but I am a fellow mlmer and have done SEO as well. The only way to get traffic to your company websites is with social media... not SEO. And actually, with mlm, I find that social media is the best kind of traffic anyway. People are drawn to YOU ultimately... and then to your products. So just find ways to create an audience with facebook etc... participate in forums, and with time you will get traffic to your sites.

Having said that, it IS possible to get traffic via SEO to a blog about your products, especially if you like writing articles or doing videos. Set up a blog and start adding videos, articles and blog posts about your experiences with your products, and get traffic that way.

Good luck!!

batalash3d likes this.
  3. batalash3d

batalash3d New Member

Thank you so much for replying !! So your thinking social media is the way to go, that is a bit of relief as I feel like I know a lot of that. :) Maybe down the road just for the heck of it I will look into SEO. Thanks again !

4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

In my opinion, learning a bit about both SEO and SMM (Social Media Marketing) can be helpful. Both tend to produce quality traffic.

A8ch likes this.
  5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

The same principle applies to both SEO and SMM,
    knowing the right words people are wanting to hear.
    In SEO they are searching for those words already.

SMM also requires knowing what to NOT say.
    Most don't want to hear a sales pitch.
    SMM lets you showcase results.
    A picture is worth 1,000 words.

robinincarolina, jeffreysloe and A8ch like this.
  6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Agreed!

SEO and SMM are different marketing disciplines with different strategies and objectives. Each is an effective traffic generator in its own right. But it's only when they are used in tandem that the real power is unleashed.

SEO serves as the gateway to the hard facts, features and benefits of a product or service, while SMM engages the audience on a social, casual and personal level. It appeals to the softer emotional aspect of the individual. You could say it "softens" the prospect.

I like to compare SEO to hardware and SMM to software. Neither can be effective without the other. It's only when their attributes are combined in an interdependent relationship that the best they have to offer shines through.

Hermas

batalash3d, YAGOOFT and payment proof like this.
  7. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Good question,

Welcome to forum, a lot of good information can be found here, so here is my advice. SEO is not an easy route to take as I have learned. Been in it from the beginning, and it is a constant battle to keep your site on top of organic search results. And here is the most important tip if you are in the typical MLM company with a replicating web page. Don't waste your time using SEO on a replicated site, you won't get very far, believe me.

The reasons are obvious, competition, thousands or hundreds of thousands may have the same website with different user names, not easy to get to the top of search engines with hundreds of thousands of same website URL's all the same. Register a universal domain for yourself, either generic to you, your business product focus, but I don't recommend being specific to any one company. The reasons are many, but as we have all learned who have been in the MLM industry over the years, too many companies come and go, so be generic in your choice of doman names.

As example, if you are promoting health and nutrional products, then choose a URL which has health in the name, or best-supplements, etc. You can effectively use a hyphen which is what I use in most of my urls, and I have over a hundred I have used SEO strategies to boost them in organic search engines. Live and learn, and it is a constant battle to stay on top of search engines, believe me, not for the beginner.

Once you have a good domain name, then whatever effort you put into it as far as SEO or social media, it will not go to waste if you shif companies or focus on different product categories. Most people in MLM have been with several companies for various reasons, so never promote a replicated company site, total waste of time.

What use to work yesterday does not mean it will work today, never mind tomorrow when it comes to internet maketing. The internet is a moving target, just as Google is with Panda, Penquin, and Gorilla which is what I call it now given so many changes they keep making which has killed months of SEO effort overnight. They keep changing the rules, and naming them after cute animals. lol They are killers for all who has been doing SEO for years, believe me.

OK, not to overload you, but I feel newbies to the world of MLM need to know the truth about how to best market your business. Social media is the buzz these days since FaceBook and YouTube has exploded, and are now going after our pocket books like Google did for PPC and Adsense advertising. Very expensive is lesson I learned, and not very productive any longer. When I first used PPC, it was a few pennies a click and it worked. But today, the same clicks cost up to a dollar or more. Never mind that, ask yourself a question, when was the last time you clicked on a PPC or Adense ad? I haven't clicked on a paid ad in years, I only trust organic top search results for they earned their top place search results. I don't trust any fly by night PPC ads. Live and learn.

Bottom line, most do not have the money to properly promote their new businesses, whether MLM or traditional businesses, it is very expensive. One of the best solutions I have recently discovered is an automated Social-Media-Income system where posts are made automatically for a small fee which is very cost effective. Anything you can automate at a low cost is the best strategies I have researched over the years. I have found that FaceBook and Youtube posting is more effective over past year, and putting up personal video is one of the best strategies to build traffic to your businesses. Hope this helped answer your question, and I wish the much success with your new business.

Success to all,

8. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe Member

Hi,

Welcome to the Work at Home Forum.

YAGOOFT gave you a lot of great information and advice. I too have been at this SEO thing since the beginning. It takes time to get your site, or even a splash page, to top of Google, or other search engines. Keeping it there also takes time. Your best bet, as YAGOOFT mentioned, is to use social media sites, like Facebook and YouTube.

After your social media sites are up and running, you can either purchase a domain and setup your own Word Press blog, or you can use a free one from Blogger (a Google app) or WordPress.com. Writing articles about your company and/or products is the best way to promote your business. Important Note: Always follow your company's guidelines/policies when marketing their company/products, as trademarks and/or patents may apply.

One thing to remember, and this is extremely important with all MLM companies, you are promoting "YOU". People are going to join you in business, as MLM is a relationship business. The company, along with their products, is the vehicle they're going to use to create a residual income.

Good luck on your new business venture!

batalash3d and YAGOOFT like this.
  9. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Exactly, YOU have to define yourself first and foremost, and your particular company is secondary as most will agree, relationship building is where you are best advised to focus on. You have to give to receive is the strategy I utilize, and this goes way back in my traditional business success, I use to freely offer advice as an industry consultant, never went for the sale upfront, always asked questions and then addressed those concerns, that is how you become successful in any business, not just MLM. Build with relationship marketing, and the reasons will become obvious over time, just getting hits to your website or likes on FB is not going to get it done, same for Twitter or any of these social media tools, you have to give to receive, so do not hit everyone with your income opportunity, simply help answer questions or concerns, and be patient, this takes time as does SEO, and that is why I use automated system, to provide helpful tips and advice in general health related category to build relationships, and only then present opportunity and your products.

Success to all,

batalash3d likes this.
  10. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe Member

Hi YAGOOFT,

You mention that you're using an automated system. If you don't mind sharing, what system are you using? If you do wish to share, what types of tools are available within that system? Since you also mentioned that you use that system "to provide helpful tips and advice in general health related category", how do you go about doing that? Are you writing articles, or using social media sites to interact with people?

I too am using an automated system, but I'm always interested in improving my automation process, even if I have to change systems. There are only so many hours in the day, so to increase my productivity many processes have to be automated. Thank you in advance for sharing!

11. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Greetings Jeffrey,

Like you, I use and evaluate every automated system out there to save time and earn more money. As one who works more than one business, and more than one category, you need a system which you can focus on each, so this is what I use. Social-Media-Income is the newest system I have employed, and like everyone, we don't want to pay much for these systems, so this one pays us to promote our own businesses, and I like that. Another system I am using has only just prelaunced and got in on beta testing, looks promising, also automated lead system and using social media. If you want free tour of Social-Media-Income, find it below.

Success to all,

12. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe Member

YAGOOFT,

Thanks for sharing. I will take a look at the Social Media Income system. Like you, I'm also trying a new system that is currently in a soft alpha launch. The actual beta launch, and testing, will be coming up shortly.

Thanks again!

13. Conor Doherty

Conor Doherty New Member

You'll need to figure out SEO. As much work as it is and as long as it takes to get results, in the end, you'll start to see results coming in on autopilot.
    Once you have an SEO optimized post, you'll be able to get search engine traffic from it for a long time. Posting it on social media gives it a boost and gets it read right away, but to keep getting social media results you have to keep promoting it to social media sites.
    All in all, you should do both. I just think it's not the best advice to tell someone that SEO is a waste of time.
    I use the plugin, SEO by Yoast, which is a great tool to get your posts optimized.

Just2EZ likes this.
  14. VicHugo

VicHugo New Member

Hi Ronnie,

There are quite a few websites that are really good for learning SEO, but there are two well respected websites: MOZ and SEO Book.

SEO is just one among the time tested methods to get traffic to your website. What I would suggest is exploring the traffic methods one by one and pick just one that makes the most sense to you to master before you learn the next one.

Here are a few: video marketing, article marketing, Facebook Ad, Instagram, etc.

Hope it helped.

payment proof likes this.
  15. Scott W

Scott W New Member

Plenty of great posts in this thread. I've read quite a few posts from some of the members in this thread and they definitely know what they are talking about.

With SEO, find a few good resources to read & learn from to get the basics down (like html tags, keywords, content etc). There are tons of factors that can and will affect your site rankings, and like everything else through trial and error you will find something that works for you. For most, getting into the top 10 for your targeted keyword is golden as most search engine users don't venture much past (okay, maybe the top 20).

A majority of the traffic to my domains is raw search engine traffic, so I know it can be done.

payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  16. KB24

KB24 Active Member

Hi If you are going to do SEO its going to take time. What you want to do is find a market/niche that you are interested in. Then you would want to do good keyword research in that niche. Then create good quality content. Then overt time you will get ranked. If your content is engaging and useful then your content will get shared, liked and tweeted giving your site traffic. You are not going to rank for every keyword but you will get traffic. This is what google is looking for.

payment proof likes this.
  17. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

There is some great advice in this thread. SEO has gotten tougher since Panda and Penguin, but it is still possible to be successful. :)

18. WorkAtHome_Pam

WorkAtHome_Pam New Member

God Bless You Ronnie, that is a loaded question! :)

You have received a lot of great advice though, and the suggestion that you create a separate site (blog if you will) is one that really is a must if you are going to use SEO to position organically. Those "pre-made" websites will just never position well with Google.

To add my "two cents" in this conversation, I would like to simplify what everyone else has suggested, "Content, Keywords, and Links!" That's the recipe.

Again, I am only trying to simplify what has been told to you already. Social Media Management.....Article Writing..... ......Answering Comments......Forums...Directory Submissions. Any well established websites you visit, and then add "quality content" and include "keywords and phrases" with a "link" back to your website.......that is all SEO really is!

You will come across so many fancy terms and complicated articles on this subject, but try and remember that the search engines use algorithms to position a website, and those algorithms are only capable of understanding content (but they do it well) and links!

So the more relevant your content is, combined with how active you are, the more they begin to see you as "the authority" of your niche, then you will begin to rise above your competition in the SERPS. (literally)

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best!

Just2EZ likes this.