Breathing

Discussion in 'Meditation' started by johntanyishin, Jul 6, 2008.

1. johntanyishin

johntanyishin New Member

When doing meditation, the key thing is about your breathing technique.

Take slow, calming deep breaths and think about nothing else but focus on breathing.

It will be good to listen to nature's sounds, eg like water flowing, birds chirping, jungle sounds. It helps calm you down.

JTYS

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

johntanyishin: When doing meditation, the key thing is about your breathing technique.
    Breathing technique is not only important during meditation, but when breathing in general. Most people breathe incorrectly without being aware of it, allowing the air to inflate only the upper part of the chest and lungs.

To get the greatest benefit from every breath of air requires using what the Yogis refer to as "The Complete Breath" - drawing air deep into the lower portion of the lungs. This extends the rib cage, depresses the diaphragm and fills the entire lung space, delivering the greatest quantity of oxygen for continued vitality.

Hermas

3. Anna_D

Anna_D New Member

Totally true, Hermas.

You can reduce your stress without having to meditate, by just breathing correctly.

4. mediafreak

mediafreak New Member

Breathing is very important.

Considering that breathing is something we do 24/7 to keep us alive, breathing exercises can strengthen the muscles we use to breathe and allow us to get the most bang for our breath.

Breathing exercises can increase the strength of the muscles used in respiration.

Proper breathing from your belly, or diaphragm, is very beneficial for your health and well-being. This brings more blood and lymph into the chest and to the heart. Lymph contains immune cells. More lymph and oxygen-rich blood being circulated throughout the body will reduce the chances of lung infections, improve athletic endurance and create a feeling of relaxation and well-being.

Basically, feel the relaxing effect of breathing when meditating.

5. Ann Williams

Ann Williams New Member

One way to meditate and be more aware of where your breath comes from (i.e. belly or upper chest) is...

Lie flat on a comfortable surface with your legs straight. Place one hand just below your breast bone and the second on your abdomen a few inches below your belly button. Close your eyes and breath in and out 30 times slowly.

If you can't lay down, try sitting in a chair, placing your hands in the same places, breathing in and out 30 times.

This helps me fall asleep when my mind is racing with thoughts.

6. elle14

elle14 New Member

Ann Williams: One way to meditate and be more aware of where your breath comes from (i.e. belly or upper chest) is...

Lie flat on a comfortable surface with your legs straight. Place one hand just below your breast bone and the second on your abdomen a few inches below your belly button. Close your eyes and breath in and out 30 times slowly.

If you can't lay down, try sitting in a chair, placing your hands in the same places, breathing in and out 30 times.

This helps me fall asleep when my mind is racing with thoughts.

I'm going to try this. Actually I never try doing meditation. But when reading this thread, makes me curious about the result. [​IMG]

7. Lora Morrow

Lora Morrow New Member

elle14
    Actually, if you do ten of these twice a day, it can make a significant difference, at least temporarily.

The best technique is to breathe in through your nose--not your mouth--to the count of nine, hold to the count of three, then exhale through your mouth to the count of ten. Then, breathing normally between breaths, shrug your shoulders to the count of four, then relax.

Do ten of these repetitions at a time--UNLESS you feel dizziness and tingling, then let up and build it up more gradually.

Try it. It can work wonders! [​IMG]