Calcium Supplement

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by broadland, Sep 17, 2007.

1. broadland

broadland New Member

Calcium Supplement
    For women approaching menopause, this is a must. Historically, in the west, Calcium pills were heavily promoted in the 60' and 70'. Then (mainly for commercial reasons), the emphasis shifted to promoting Oestrogen for prevention of Osteoporosis (softening of bone). Then with excessive breast cancer using Oestrogen therapy the emphasis is now back to Calcium supplement.
    Also useful are calcitonin and Biophosphonates (Miacalcin and Fosamax). These are useful but a calcium supplement is absolutely necessary.

2. broadland

broadland New Member

Milk has often been stated as a "good source of calcium". It is exactly as stated - a good source, but in pre-menopausal women in a majority of situations, it does not provide enough calcium, to prevent osteoporosis. women in that group, should not be misled into believing in taking large quantities on milk. At the very least, too much milk will cause stomach upset. Calcium supplement is cheap and very effective. I cannot overstress the need for Calcium in this group of otherwise healthy individuals.

3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Do any other foods contain sufficient calcium?

4. broadland

broadland New Member

Quoting: pcworkDo any other foods contain sufficient calcium?
    Yes, there are. Most of the milk products, such as cheese, ice cream, buttermilk etc. are rich in Calcium. In the non-dairy group, there are items such as Black beans, Navy Beans, Almonds, Salmon and Sardines with bones. However, the audience I am targeting for this discussion is the pre-menopausal women, who needs a calcium supplements for at least the next 20 years of her life, to prevent osteoporosis. She will find that using a supplement in the form of a pill, is guaranteed to give her daily requirement.

James Eckburg likes this.
  5. piggybanker

piggybanker New Member

Are you familiar with o2 Proformance Hydration also known as Coral Calcium and it's benefits?

6. broadland

broadland New Member

Quoting: piggybankerAre you familiar with o2 Proformance Hydration also known as Coral Calcium and it's benefits?
    Effervescent Calcium tablets will taste as delicious and at a lower cost. Long term calcium supplement therapy is for prevention of osteoporosis. There are no other health claims. I saw prices of $39.99 for a bottle for this o2 Proformance Hydration stuff!. I tried to find the numbers and the amount of calcium in each sachet, but could not find this info. Calcium supplement dose is usually 1000mg daily. You could check how much calcium is in this other item.

7. crazyalbert

crazyalbert New Member

osteoporosis does need calcium and for u to stop eating alot of acidic foods. plus raise your ph levels so that u have a hydrated body. i love my business it has amazing products. and an amazing comp plan but hey what can i say i learn a lot. but i am new here and i hope i am doing the right thing

8. SQ625

SQ625 New Member

Coral calcium is a great way to supplement your calcium intake. The reason is that it contains all of the trace elements and minerals that the body needs but has a hard time getting with the average diet.

9. broadland

broadland New Member

Quoting: SQ625Coral calcium is a great way to supplement your calcium intake. The reason is that it contains all of the trace elements and minerals that the body needs but has a hard time getting with the average diet.

This opens up the whole issue of highly purified and costly single ingredients v. naturally mixed and readily available low priced products. In most cases, the purified concentrates are not necessary and does deprive the person of the benefits of other items in the crude product. However, one should not lose sight of the goal which is to provide adequate supplement of calcium at a low cost because it is absent or low in normal diet or in the case of menopausal women, and absolute necessity.

10. mycats

mycats New Member

Calcium supplements are a must for a women at any age, especially for the young. Osteoporosis prevention starts in childhood and adolescents when the bones are forming. The problem is that most people think this is an elderly persons problem, but waiting that long to take action is a mistake.

When choosing your supplement make sure it has Vitamin D, this is essential along with Calcium.

O2 proformance hydration does not give you enough calcium, only trace amounts. The coral granules do not dissolve they are being used to increase the alkalinity in the water and give off only trace amounts.

This is actually a problem with most calcium supplements our body can not assimilate them, especially the tablet forum, capsules are better. Liquid forms are even better and easily assimilated by the body.

I personally use Drinkables Coral Calcium since I can get it at BJ's for a good price.

11. Bsidesjess

Bsidesjess New Member

You have to remember to take your vitamin D. I take a D3 supplement all year long, though during the winter months, it is most crucial. The FDA suggests that you take 400ius of this vitamin everyday, but recent research shows that the human body uses up to 2-3000ius every day. That would take you 20 glasses of milk to replace. So, in order to use and absorb all of the calcium that you take, you should also look into a high-quality, high-potency vitamin D supplement.

12. ferlin

ferlin New Member

I read somewhere that excess intake of calcium supplements is also damaging to the kidney. If so, what is the allowable dosage of calcium per day to avoid complications?

13. broadland

broadland New Member

ferlin: I read somewhere that excess intake of calcium supplements is also damaging to the kidney. If so, what is the allowable dosage of calcium per day to avoid complications?

If you use calcium as a supplement i.e. 1000mg daily, you are not likely to have any trouble. People with
    1. family or personal history of kidney stones
    2. Higher than 1000mg need daily
    3. pre-existing kidney disease should exercise caution and be regulated by their physician to prevent any possible further kidney damage or formation of stones.
    In general, unless specific need for supervision is demonstrated, based on some special considerations described above, there is no need for doctor supervision for the vast majority of women using perimenopausal calcium supplement in the above described dose.

14. herwindz

herwindz New Member

i think we should talk to our doctor first before taking any supplement.
    the side effect is very threatening

15. alexa

alexa New Member

Calcium supplements seem to be almost universally misunderstood. I saw a very interesting little discussion on the subject here with a couple of MD's taking part. I learned some really surprising stuff, especially about "coral calcium".

16. jeffathome

jeffathome New Member

I take solarcal-d. Coral calcium and has 200iu's of vitamin d. It's like a 2 in one supplement.

17. sashawk

sashawk New Member

Has anyone heard of coral calcium from Japan?

I get all mine from broccoli each day, so I'm not really desperate to supplement.

Apparently you need magnesium in your calcium supplement for it to be effective at all.

Sasha

18. Savvie

Savvie New Member

mycats: I personally use Drinkables Coral Calcium since I can get it at BJ's for a good price.

lmao~ I'm sorry, am I the only one who read this wrong the first time??

Carry on, carry on...

19. Phil Stones

Phil Stones New Member

I'd rather stick to my daily portions of milk, yog and cheeses than using supplements.

20. franmeza

franmeza New Member

Hello Phil,

the problem with cheese and milk is that you not only eat the calcium but other things like fat (you can avoid this if you drink low fat milk). Besides as far as i know calcium is better assimilated by your body when eat it along with vitamin D and magnesium (found in broccoli for example). A good suplement should include these two elements.

Hope it helps