Can money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Vishal P. Rao, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Thank you all for sharing you views and participating. As I love this question too, I cannot resist myself by putting my 2 cents [​IMG]

Money is indeed an essential ingredient for happiness BUT those who mistake it as the sole ingredient are wrong. I would like to compare it to salt. It is required to make a dish palatable but you cannot make a dish by adding salt alone. But you can make palatable dishes without adding salt!

Money is required, but only up to a certain extent. After that it loses its value to make us more happy. On the contrary it can be a cause to more misery. There is a danger of us becoming a slave to it. Money then start dictating our lives. Our desires increases and so does our miseries.

"He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have." - Socrates

"Content makes poor men rich; discontentment makes rich men poor." - Benjamin Franklin

Congratulations Rob (TheGuild) for winning again!

2. mcarter

mcarter New Member

as people we get sucked into the pleasures of external things. we try to keep up with the joneses, and compete with others. we become envious over the lifestyles of the rich and famous. through these obsessions with materialism and the like, we drown ourselves deep into debt, foreclose on our homes, and live uncontrollably above our means. With this mentality, there will always be unhappiness. It starts within, yes it does. Money in some cases can be the fix to unpleasant situations. it can at times buy happiness and peace of mind but if abused, this happinesss and peace of mind can be temperal.

3. Trojan9

Trojan9 New Member

The zen masters know happiness best. You don't need to be happy.

sifu,
    trojan9

4. twnuck

twnuck New Member

I read this year's ago and I think it explains it all:

"Money is a magnifier. This means if you are a happy person prior to gaining wealth then you will become happier. Same is true if you started out being miserable prior to gaining wealth. If you are a good person prior to obtaining wealth then you will become even better, etc.

Money doesn't make you different, it just makes you more of who you already are."

Todd

5. aplina

aplina New Member

you heard the song more money more problem.

6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Quoting: twnuckMoney doesn't make you different, it just makes you more of who you already are."

That's very true!If we are a jerk without money , then we will be a bigger jerk WITH money!!And the ones that are compassionate and kind when they have no money will only do bigger and greater things as they accumulate wealth....

On the other hand, NOTHING takes the place of money...If you don't believe me,try walking into a grocery store and paying for your groceries with a smile and a sandwich - LOL...[​IMG]

I think we all agree that LACK of money causes stress for that very fact ~ that nothing else replaces it when it comes to getting our bills paid , buying food and clothes, or whatever else....

It ranks right up there with oxygen in my opinion!Just had to pop in here when I came across this thread!

[​IMG]

Viola

7. asebf

asebf New Member

Here is an answer to a similar question.

Can money buy love?

Answer - No

But it can buy you something so darn close, that you cannot tell the difference.

8. mlight5378

mlight5378 New Member

it cannot buy happiness but if u are allready a happy person then it can help you spread your happiness to more people

9. nansee61

nansee61 New Member

money only buys happiness if you share it with others, either directly or indirectly.

otherwise, you might have a lot of money and stuff but no one to share it with.

10. armspo

armspo New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[Post edited - Admin]

11. Lori Moreno

Lori Moreno New Member

You create your own happiness!

The rest is all icing on the cake!

Great Contest!

Have a Wonderful Day...
    Enjoy this Special Moment of your Precious Life!

12. theRealness0820

theRealness0820 New Member

no way.. my parents have many friends who are highly rich and affluent.. in my experience the more money and power someone has the more miserable they are.. the more manipulative and controlling.. usually their kids hate their guts..

if you are not happy without riches.. you will never be with it..

unless you're so poor you are starving then its true..

if you're not enough without it.. you won't be with it..

13. ronkusoke

ronkusoke New Member

everyone has said it all. Money cannot buy happiness but it can encourage you to become happier faster

Money from hard work makes us feel achieved especially if we are always striving for excellence.

14. Andreabruno

Andreabruno New Member

working from home has it's disadvantage also ! you me be more lazy, even less motivated and " less happy "because of physically contact with different people decrease ! for that reason most of the training calls, are inspirations calls to motivate you! to take into consideration the addiction to stay in conjunction with your PC! so we have to know know how to manage our time , to know when to sit and start to work, at the same time to know when to finish! think about it!

15. Dennis_Dowhy

Dennis_Dowhy New Member

I recognize this contest is closed, however, I feel obligated to post my life's experience and knowledge.

1. Wealth can never buy Happiness. If this was true all those rich people who are on drugs, and commit suicide would not exist.

2. Without health, wealth is meaningless.

Which brings us to Happiness!

I am 62, not in the best of health. I searched for happiness for years, but could never find it. I've made my share of money at one time was a six figure income for years. (Yes, it made life easier without bills, however, what I made, I spent on a variety of "stuff".) I own two homes outright, so it is a good feeling not having a mortgage, and have a steady retirement government income. With all this, there is only one way to receive happiness!

You must give it freely! Giving others happiness, comes back in a self-satisfaction rewarding way.

I am a professional magician who entertains children, and makes money. It's not the money, it's the fun, the laughter, the joy I see on the children's faces. It makes it worth the effort.

You want happiness, stop searching for it. Find a way to give it to others and happiness will come back to you.

Happiness can only come to you when you give it to others!

16. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Dennis_Dowhy: Happiness can only come to you when you give it to others!

Very true Dennis!

True happiness is found only inside. If you keep searching for happiness in material things, you'll never find it. They'll only give you pleasure, which is short lived.

In spiritual sense, bliss is nothing but a sensation that we feel inside. To experience it we have dig inside and not outside.

Here's a simple exercise to deepen our happiness. Whenever you find satisfaction or happiness through something, just remove your attention from the trigger (outside) and try to feel the source of sensation inside. You may not find it initially, but through practice, you'll catch it. Once you master it, you'll more and more happy and your happiness will not depend on external things.

17. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Dennis,

Few things in life make me feel as good as when I give to a person or any type of worthy charity. Personally, I like to give to animal and environmental charities.

~Newbie Shield~

18. rubsync

rubsync New Member

Even if the contest's already closed, I want to express what I feel about it!
    Here it goes:
    If someone gives me a million dollar, I probably be very happy..
    But money can buy happiness for only a day or two!..

The best happiness for me is the love of the people that I care so much! [​IMG]

[Link removed - Admin]

19. nanlar

nanlar New Member

Money can buy you many things,though I believe there is not a greater satisfaction than doing something that you honestly enjoy doing. What happiness does one get by plagiarizing an article for example. There have been numerous posts on this forum where the happiness was evident over a few pennies they had made. Just the knowing that their work had paid off was more than sufficient.

20. simplyg

simplyg New Member

If you are in debt, I think money can buy you some happiness. Once you're out of debt, I don't think you actually need much to live. Whatever got you into debt was probably a symptom of material indulgence, an expensive education, or an unexpected accident/medical problem. Once you're out of it, it's easy to limit your spending and change your lifestyle (especially if you don't have kids).

My debt makes me crazy and keeps me up at night. I like to think of myself as someone who is not materialistic, but I do think money to pay off my debt would bring me happiness. I think what I would be able to do with the energy freed up by not worrying about my debt would make me even happier.